Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My degree plan for TESU BA in CS; thoughts/recs?
Question 
Your Location: California, USA
Your Age: 18, turning 19 in about a month
What kind of degree do you want?: TESU BA in CS. I might go into federal law enforcement, and CS looks like a good career field in general too.

Current Regional Accredited Credits:

College of San Mateo Total Credits: 4
PHYS 210 General Physics I, 4, A

City College of San Francisco Total Credits: 9
ADMJ 53 Legal Aspects of Evidence, 3, A
ADMJ 54 Principles & Procedures of the Justice System, 3, A
ADMJ 57 Introduction to Administration of Justice, 3, A
(however, for a TESU BA in CS, I'm not too sure how applicable the credits from ADMJ 53 and 54 are)

Current ACE, CLEP, or NCCRS Credits:

AP Credits: 12-17
Calculus AB, 3-4, A+ (exam score = 5)
English Language and Composition, 3-6, A (exam score = 5)
Chemistry, 3-4, A (exam score = 4)
Statistics, 3, B (exam score = 5)

CLEP Credits: 6
Analyzing & Interpreting Literature, 3, 74
American Government, 3, 68

Any certifications or military experience? N/A (but I hope to get training in the Air National Guard as military police, which may earn me 17-26 more credits according to some people online)
Budget: I have $6k in savings. I'd like to keep it around $10k, but I'm willing to pay more for easier/faster credits (e.g. taking Sophia courses rather than CLEP courses paid for by Modern States).
Commitments: I don't really have any commitments. I graduated high school last year. I don't have a job. I also discontinued my traditional schooling to speed up my degree after discovering that degree hacking is a thing and that it's legit. I live with and help out my parents who support me. I have a brother too. He's gonna be graduating high school next year as well. I'm also trying to learn how to drive; I got my learner's permit 8 months ago.
Dedicated time to study: I'll spend 5 days per week, 8 hours per day working on this. That's about 40 hours per week. I'm willing to spend more time (e.g. 1-3 more hours per day, even an extra day) if it'd make that much of a difference (e.g. finishing a month earlier).
Timeline: I'd like to finish the courses needed for this degree asap. I plan on finishing before May 2024, which is about 14 months from now. I also hope to enlist in and finish training in the National Guard before then. The training would take about 5 months (since basic training + tech school = at least 20.5 weeks away from home). I expect to finish the degree by March 2024. Finishing it even earlier would be awesome too, but I don't know how possible it is.
Tuition assistance/reimbursement: I'll apply for federal financial aid. My parents will support me too. Plus, if I follow through with my plans with the military, then I'll get more tuition assistance and reduced fees through that too.

Other than my current degree plan which follows after this paragraph, I'm not too sure what other relevant info I should provide. I'll update this post if anything comes to mind. It's small, but the only thing coming to mind right now is to mention that I'd like to finish by May next year since my brother would be graduating that month, and it'd be fun to say that I, too, am a part of the Class of 2024 haha. Who knows, maybe I'll even become a sub for a few months at our high school for the lolz. I hope I can finish this before my 20th birthday too; it'd be cool to one day say that I accomplished all this while I was still a teenager.

Here's my current degree plan (more details here in this Google Spreadsheet):

I. GENERAL ED (45 credits)

A. Intellectual and Practical Skills (15 Credits)
— [AP] English Language and Composition
— [AP] English Language and Composition
— [SDC] COM120: Presentation Skills in the Workplace
— [AP] Statistics
— [TESU] Critical Information Literacy (SOS-110-OL)

B. Civic and Global Leadership (9 Credits)
— [TECEP] Marriage and the Family (SOC-210-TE)
— [TECEP] Environmental Ethics (ETH-210-TE)
— [TECEP] Introduction to Comparative Politics (POS-282-TE)

C. Knowledge of Human Cultures (15 Credits)
— [TECEP] Introduction to Political Science (ANT-101-TE)
— [Sophia] American History I
— [TECEP] Technical Writing (ENG-201-TE)
— [CCSF] Intro to Administration of Justice
— [CLEP] Introductory Psychology

D. Scientific Knowledge (6 Credits)
— [CSM] General Physics I
— [AP] Chemistry

II. AREA OF STUDY (45 credits)

A. Required Courses (18 Credits)
— [SDC] CS109: Introduction to Programming
— [SDC] CS201: Data Structures & Algorithms
— [AP] Calculus AB
— [SDC] MAT108: Discrete Mathematics
— [SDC] CS105: Intro to Operating Systems
— [SDC] CS306: Computer Architecture

B. Computer Science Electives (18 Credits)
— [SDC] CS103: Computer Concepts & Applications
— [Sophia] Introduction to Information Technology
— [DAVAR] CIS315: Management Information Systems
— [TESU] Software Engineering (CIS-351-OL)
— [SDC] CS303: Database Management
— [SDC] CS302: Systems Analysis & Design

C. Natural Sciences, Math, and Computer Science Electives (6 Credits)
— [TECEP] Applied Liberal Arts Mathematics (MAT-105-TE)
— [TECEP] College Algebra (MAT-121-TE)

D. Capstone (3 Credits)
— [TESU] Liberal Arts Capstone (LIB-495-OL)

III. ELECTIVES (30 credits)
— [CLEP] Analyzing and Interpreting Literature
— [CLEP] American Government
— [CLEP] Spanish Language: Levels 1 and 2
— [CLEP] Introductory Sociology
— [Sophia] U.S. History II
— [Sophia] Precalculus
— [Sophia] Intro to Business
— [Sophia] Financial Accounting
— [Sophia] Human Biology

During my preparation/planning, I found this other thread re: the same degree. However, it was started over 2 years ago, and my understanding is that some things have changed ever since then. My understanding could be wrong though; I don't know. Are there any recommendations in this thread that I should follow? For example, I'd like to take Art History I + II, Intro to Ethics, etc through Sophia since I hear that they're quick and easy, but from skimming the course catalog, it looks like there are no equivalent classes in TESU (at least not anymore), so I don't know if they'll actually transfer. 

Are there any classes that I have in my current plan that I should swap out for easier/quicker classes? If so, what may those be? Should I switch around any classes to fulfill different classes? etc? Any miscellaneous words of advice too (hehe)?

Thank you for taking the time to read this!

PS: In my preparation for making this post, I kept on running into posts that mentioned the "Medical Terminology TECEP" and had no idea of its significance until two seconds ago. What's the next thing I should do? Should I indeed apply and register for the Med Term TECEP asap in order to figure out where my credits go?
Currently going for ...
— TESU BA in Computer Science (expected June 2023)
— TESU ASNSM in Mathematics (expected June 2023)
— TESU Certificate in Computer Information Systems (expected June 2023)
— TESU Certificate in Operations Management (expected June 2023)

Completed ...
— N/A (except for K-12 :p)
— The majority of my academic plan, which can be found here
Let's ...
— flipping go!!! (last updated 11/07/2023)
For a TESU degree in Comp Sci, you're right that the ADMJ courses are not going to be used in the gen eds or AOS, which makes them seem useless. But they're not useless. TESU requires a minimum of 30 RA credits and they don't care where those credits are placed (except for the cornerstone and capstone, of course). The ADMJ courses can be put in electives and count toward your RA credit needs. TESU will always, ALWAYS favor RA credits over alternate credits. So your 9 credits of ADMJ courses will "bump off" 9 credits of Sophia and/or CLEP electives that you have listed.

You do not need so many TECEPs, nor those specific TECEPs/classes. For civilians, TECEPs do not count toward TESU residency. You have 21 credits of TECEPs, plus 9 credits of TESU classes. Unless you're really, really enthusiastic about those specific courses, you're going way overboard. Counting your CSM and CCSF credits, that makes 44 RA credits. You don't need that many nor to spend that much money filling out your degree. I think you followed the "plan" on the TESU website? It's really terrible and not at all reflective of actual requirements. Have you checked out the degree plan on the wiki yet? It's much better at clarifying things: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Sa...ts_Roadmap

Instead of doing 3 classes at TESU and so many TECEPs, I would recommend doing a single flat-rate 16-credit term. That would actually be cheaper than taking 3 TESU classes and paying for the residency waiver. https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Th...#Residency

On the other hand, if you get active military rate, then TECEPs would count toward residency and it could be worth taking so many TECEPs.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 3 users Like rachel83az's post:
  • bruh, lucillegyl, origamishuttle
Have you ever thought of maybe adding an associates in Criminal Justice? Or possibily dual area of study CS and CJ?

Also if you do join the air guard then I'd encourage you to do CLEPS and DSSTs as I believe theyd be free. Also TECEPS are cheaper and count for residency too if you are military.
[-] The following 1 user Likes natshar's post:
  • bruh
First, good news is that you get 8cr for Chemistry (it's 8cr for any score if you took it prior to 10/31/21, and 8cr for a score of 4-5 starting 11/1/21).

Second, you'll need to determine which way you want to go for tuition purposes, because whether you're military or not makes a HUGE difference in cost.

1) Not military, and just want to do 6cr at TESU - so you need 30cr of RA total, you have 13cr, you'll take 6 with the corner/cap stones, leaving 11cr.  It looks like you're a good test-taker, in which case you should get your remaining 11 (12) RA credits via TECEP exam; it's cheap, and it will be really easy for you.  Take the following (plus whatever else you want):

Applied Liberal Arts Math (you'll use it as your Quant Lit requirement)
Computer Concepts & Applications (AoS LL elective)
Public Speaking (as your oral comm requirement)

then you can move Statistics down to the AoS as a LL other elective

TOTAL PRICE AT TESU (tuition, fees, 4 LL TECEP's): $7,470

2) Not military, and you want to do a 16cr term to save costs, you can skip the TECEP's.  Do some e-Packs in there instead (at the very least you'll want Computer Concepts & Applications, I wish they had math options)

TOTAL PRICE AT TESU (tuition, fees): $4,778

3) If you at some point join the National Guard and get military tuition, then your best bet is to take 6 TECEP exams (that plus cornerstone and capstone puts you at 24cr of residency, which you'd need), and then you can just pay for the cornerstone and capstone at $250/cr.

TOTAL PRICE AT TESU (tuition, fees): $2,698
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 4 users Like dfrecore's post:
  • bruh, jch, origamishuttle, suzycupcake
(03-18-2023, 05:23 AM)rachel83az Wrote: For a TESU degree in Comp Sci, you're right that the ADMJ courses are not going to be used in the gen eds or AOS, which makes them seem useless. But they're not useless. TESU requires a minimum of 30 RA credits and they don't care where those credits are placed (except for the cornerstone and capstone, of course). The ADMJ courses can be put in electives and count toward your RA credit needs. TESU will always, ALWAYS favor RA credits over alternate credits. So your 9 credits of ADMJ courses will "bump off" 9 credits of Sophia and/or CLEP electives that you have listed.

You do not need so many TECEPs, nor those specific TECEPs/classes. For civilians, TECEPs do not count toward TESU residency. You have 21 credits of TECEPs, plus 9 credits of TESU classes. Unless you're really, really enthusiastic about those specific courses, you're going way overboard. Counting your CSM and CCSF credits, that makes 44 RA credits. You don't need that many nor to spend that much money filling out your degree. I think you followed the "plan" on the TESU website? It's really terrible and not at all reflective of actual requirements. Have you checked out the degree plan on the wiki yet? It's much better at clarifying things: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Sa...ts_Roadmap

Instead of doing 3 classes at TESU and so many TECEPs, I would recommend doing a single flat-rate 16-credit term. That would actually be cheaper than taking 3 TESU classes and paying for the residency waiver. https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Th...#Residency

On the other hand, if you get active military rate, then TECEPs would count toward residency and it could be worth taking so many TECEPs.

Ohhh okay, awesome! I really didn't expect those other ADMJ credits to come in anywhere. Awesome to hear that they actually would.

I'll make sure to check out the link about general ed reqs too. I didn't know that, for civilians, TECEPs don't count toward TESU residency. Thanks for the heads-up. I also just realized that I wouldn't need TECEPs to help with the 30cr RA requirement anyway since the 13cr I already have + at least 17cr from the Community College of the Air Force will add up to 30cr needed. Even if all 9 of my existing ADMJ credits overlap w/ the CCAF credits, I'd make up the difference w/ the TESU classes I'm taking.

I'll also make sure to follow up on your recommendation to the single flat-rate 16cr term if the military thing doesn't go through.

Thank you!

(03-18-2023, 08:46 AM)natshar Wrote: Have you ever thought of maybe adding an associates in Criminal Justice? Or possibily dual area of study CS and CJ?

Also if you do join the air guard then I'd encourage you to do CLEPS and DSSTs as I believe theyd be free. Also TECEPS are cheaper and count for residency too if you are military.

Oh shoot - I never thought of that! Before CS, I was actually gonna do CJ. I never thought of just going for both though! How can I do that?! That sounds awesome. Is there some other DegreeForum post/guide that I can follow if I wanna get two bachelor's degrees from TESU? Also, when I'm fulfilling the reqs for any additional degrees too, would I never have to worry about the general ed reqs and the elective reqs ever again since they could be transferred over from my first degree?
Currently going for ...

Completed ...
Let's ...
(03-18-2023, 01:23 PM)dfrecore Wrote: First, good news is that you get 8cr for Chemistry (it's 8cr for any score if you took it prior to 10/31/21, and 8cr for a score of 4-5 starting 11/1/21).

Second, you'll need to determine which way you want to go for tuition purposes, because whether you're military or not makes a HUGE difference in cost.

1) Not military, and just want to do 6cr at TESU - so you need 30cr of RA total, you have 13cr, you'll take 6 with the corner/cap stones, leaving 11cr.  It looks like you're a good test-taker, in which case you should get your remaining 11 (12) RA credits via TECEP exam; it's cheap, and it will be really easy for you.  Take the following (plus whatever else you want):

Applied Liberal Arts Math (you'll use it as your Quant Lit requirement)
Computer Concepts & Applications (AoS LL elective)
Public Speaking (as your oral comm requirement)

then you can move Statistics down to the AoS as a LL other elective

TOTAL PRICE AT TESU (tuition, fees, 4 LL TECEP's): $7,470

2) Not military, and you want to do a 16cr term to save costs, you can skip the TECEP's.  Do some e-Packs in there instead (at the very least you'll want Computer Concepts & Applications, I wish they had math options)

TOTAL PRICE AT TESU (tuition, fees): $4,778

3) If you at some point join the National Guard and get military tuition, then your best bet is to take 6 TECEP exams (that plus cornerstone and capstone puts you at 24cr of residency, which you'd need), and then you can just pay for the cornerstone and capstone at $250/cr.

TOTAL PRICE AT TESU (tuition, fees): $2,698

Whaaat I didn't know that about AP Chem!! Thanks for the heads-up!

Your second point is very crazy too - I didn't realize that going the military route would make that big of a difference. I didn't actually consider how much of a difference it would be between paying for the military residency waiver versus paying for the military route you're suggesting. So awesome!
Currently going for ...

Completed ...
Let's ...
I don't suppose you have a parent who is active military?

https://www.tesu.edu/military/tuition-fees
Quote:The Military Tuition rate is offered to active duty, guard and reserve servicemembers, their spouses and dependents and Department of Defense (DoD) civilian employees
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
[-] The following 1 user Likes davewill's post:
  • bruh
(03-18-2023, 03:32 PM)davewill Wrote: I don't suppose you have a parent who is active military?

https://www.tesu.edu/military/tuition-fees
Quote:The Military Tuition rate is offered to active duty, guard and reserve servicemembers, their spouses and dependents and Department of Defense (DoD) civilian employees
You'd be correct in supposing such a thing Smile I only have a cousin and a landlord who are such.
Currently going for ...

Completed ...
Let's ...
@bruh, that's a great first post! Very informative and you've got a draft list/plan of how you would like to take your courses. I would focus on three things. 1) Completing your credits and updating it in a spreadsheet, link us to that on your one drive or google drive 2) Adding an associates in CJ or BACJ as a second major 3) Decide on residency waiver, 16 credits, or military tuition

1) Your main goal is to get the credits required for your degree, you can start with the alternative credits first, or go for the RA through TECEP exams, accumulate the credits and continue with that... As sometimes plans change or course offerings are available from other providers, update your spreadsheet with those changes

2) Adding the AAS CJ is a great idea, if you have the energy, money, time to go further to a double degree, that would work as well. You need to decide if it's worth the extra energy, money, time spent to achieve that second Bachelors. The AAS CJ is practically complete if you replace the electives with the degree requirements. The BACJ is just 15 credits more...

3) Tuition option, you need to decide if you want to complete the 16 credits for residency, pay a residency waiver fee, or 'wait' until you get into military service to complete the remaining requirements of the degree(s). This will change from your current plans to finish before you turn 20, it'll most likely be later than that depending on the way you want to finish...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • bruh
(03-19-2023, 12:20 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: @bruh, that's a great first post! Very informative and you've got a draft list/plan of how you would like to take your courses.  I would focus on three things. 1) Completing your credits and updating it in a spreadsheet, link us to that on your one drive or google drive  2) Adding an associates in CJ or BACJ as a second major  3) Decide on residency waiver, 16 credits, or military tuition

1) Your main goal is to get the credits required for your degree, you can start with the alternative credits first, or go for the RA through TECEP exams, accumulate the credits and continue with that... As sometimes plans change or course offerings are available from other providers, update your spreadsheet with those changes

2) Adding the AAS CJ is a great idea, if you have the energy, money, time to go further to a double degree, that would work as well.  You need to decide if it's worth the extra energy, money, time spent to achieve that second Bachelors.  The AAS CJ is practically complete if you replace the electives with the degree requirements. The BACJ is just 15 credits more...

3) Tuition option, you need to decide if you want to complete the 16 credits for residency, pay a residency waiver fee, or 'wait' until you get into military service to complete the remaining requirements of the degree(s). This will change from your current plans to finish before you turn 20, it'll most likely be later than that depending on the way you want to finish...

Thank you @bjcheung77! When I discovered degree hacking not even two months ago and then DegreeForum a few weeks later, I saw that I was entering a whole new world. I read the tip that we should do the heavy lifting when it comes to degree planning, so I wanted to make sure to start off on the right foot.  Cool

As soon as the activity on this thread comes to an end (probably tonight or tomorrow), those credits shall be as good as mine, hehe. I think I'm gonna eat through the easiest Sophia courses first to build up some momentum (and also for encouragement :p). I'll make sure to update that spreadsheet I attached to my first post too. It's personally so exciting to see the changes and realizations I've made since starting this thread.

Getting an extra degree was nowhere near my radar either. So awesome that @natshar mentioned it. I'm gonna go for the BACJ I think. How should I go about that? I've been browsing through some of the existing threads that discuss getting a second bachelor's. Is there a dedicated thread/wiki somewhere on here that details the process too? I'm wondering to what extent would TESU allow my courses that I'd use to accomplish my BACS to fulfill reqs for my BACJ. For example, if I ever go for even more TESU degrees in general (not just BACJ), would I not have to worry about general eds + electives anymore? Would the AOS be my only concern (provided I apply 24 new credits)?

I think I'll also 'wait' until I finish military training to finish my degree. It's all good if I don't finish before turning 20, hehe. In case those plans fall through though, I'll do the 16 credits option. @rachel83az and @dfrecore helped me realize that that could actually be more preferable than doing a lotta TECEPs + paying the hefty waiver fee.
Currently going for ...

Completed ...
Let's ...

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Thoughts on path to BA for drug/alcohol counselors studyingfortests 7 116 58 minutes ago
Last Post: studyingfortests
  Educational Degree Planning Help nhmimi 7 126 1 hour ago
Last Post: rachel83az
  Degree planning help - UMPI BBA vs PUG BSBA crowbird 35 617 1 hour ago
Last Post: rachel83az
  Path/degree recommendation for a 40 yr old man with no degree Freyo27 1 40 3 hours ago
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Degree Planning- MS degree dodek101 8 319 7 hours ago
Last Post: Captainrekt000
  Potential Degree Input, Please curious 4 138 Yesterday, 06:39 AM
Last Post: curious
  DBA degree: online, 2-3 years, top US or UK school, accredited absamer 22 1,478 03-26-2024, 11:54 PM
  Degree Planning Advice - 31, Norway, No Higher Education ASenna 28 1,854 03-26-2024, 06:00 AM
  Masters Degree in Texas Melhux 3 178 03-26-2024, 05:45 AM
  BACS BSCIS plan guidance LAMi 23 343 03-25-2024, 09:11 PM