Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My journey and, issues. :)
Drakemoore Wrote:Wouldn't AAS from TESC still be considered LL?

TESC evaluates each and every credit individually. Having an AAS is irrelevant.
TESC also doesn't care about the course level at the original school. All credits from 2-year schools will transfer to TESC as LL. How credits will transfer from 4-year schools will be based on which level the course is offered at TESC (or evaluated in their PLA database). For example, microbiology is LL at many 4-year colleges, but since it's UL in TESC's database, microbiology transferred from a 4-year college will always be UL at TESC. It doesn't matter if the course was part of an associates degree at the 4-year school.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
cookderosa Wrote:If you have FAFSA Pell Grant, take the most you can at your school while avoiding a loan.

I'm fully eligible for the maximum Pell Grant. So one thought I had was to CLEP out of general ed classes and take technical classes (as part of an associates such as AS:CS) then transfer all of that into a degree at TESC or elsewhere later. Which would be kind of useful due to all of the LL electives that TESC gives you and the somewhat fewer test out options available for tech oriented credits. I might be able to somewhat 'refund' myself for testing options because I've read from numerous sources that extra Pell funding at the end of the year is reimbursed to you for expenses.

Since I'm out of state, TESC would be nearly $9k a year for their comprehensive plan. It's so much more of a viable option I imagine for someone that's a NJ state resident, if I were I'd probably do it entirely there but I'm not. Smile
Drakemoore Wrote:I'm fully eligible for the maximum Pell Grant. So one thought I had was to CLEP out of general ed classes and take technical classes (as part of an associates such as AS:CS) then transfer all of that into a degree at TESC or elsewhere later. Which would be kind of useful due to all of the LL electives that TESC gives you and the somewhat fewer test out options available for tech oriented credits. I might be able to somewhat 'refund' myself for testing options because I've read from numerous sources that extra Pell funding at the end of the year is reimbursed to you for expenses.

Since I'm out of state, TESC would be nearly $9k a year for their comprehensive plan. It's so much more of a viable option I imagine for someone that's a NJ state resident, if I were I'd probably do it entirely there but I'm not. Smile

Drake, since you qualify for a pell grant you have a choice either full time 12 credits or part time 6 credits per semester at whatever school you choose if you go to a CC you'll pay about $150 per credit hour (give or take) which will allow you to purchase a 12 credits in the semester plus books and have some surplus money paid to you towards your living expenses. Yes it will take months to get it all done but at no additional cost to your own money sources. Going half time (which is what I did) allowed me to avail of the credits at no cost to me and still work my three jobs. I didn't attend a CC but went to Excelsior for the two semesters I would have gotten greater value at my local Community College but it was more convenient for me to study and do the classes online than reschedule my work hours. Make sure you don't sign up for the Stafford Loans that are offered since the interest is 3.8% and that adds up rather quickly.
Don't forget that gaining college credit by taking exams is one of the reason's we're here. That's mainly possible through the flashcards made available by the owner of this forum : InstantCert Plus of course your hard work in learning and reviewing
Current Credits

Irish Education

FETAC Level 6 Adv Cert in Admin

Spreadsheets 5 U.S credits A ,Word Processing 2.5 U.S credits A
Business Management 5.0 U.S credits A Web Authoring 2.5 U.S credits A Communications 5.0 U.S credits A Manual and Computerized Bookkeeping 2.5 U.S Credits A

ECDL (European Computer Drivers License) ICS SKILLS 5 credits

Strayer University Marketing 100 (paid for by Starbucks) A 4.5 quarter hours
CLEP U.S History I 74, U.S History II 69, Western Civ II 61, Western Civ I 64, HG&D 60, Humanities 60, biz law 67,Am Gov 57.
DSST: Biz ethics & s 450, Art WW 424
EC CCS 120 A , EC ENG 101 A, EC BUS 312 H.R A , EC ENG 102 A,
B&M ACC 151 B, B&M ACC 152 (starting) Nat Scies,
Still studying. But have been trying to dig out more information and get a plan going.

I did manage to get a hold of a few advisers over at TESC. They wouldn't really give me any official statement on the matter, but they did at least give a sort of confirming insight on a few things.

If I take a AS in programming at the local CC about 42 credits of it is programming and databases. Another 6 credits is an Intenship / Intro to Computers. The BA:Computer Science degree at TESC is 33 credits of Computer science (18 UL), 60 credits GE core with 18 Electives, and then 27 Free Electives.

The advisers were leaning towards the programming courses possibly being used for the 15 LL credits in the topic of study. Things like Intro to Programming in the AS course might be transferred in as Intro to Computer Science. One of them hinted that there is a small chance that a course could be considered for UL credit even if it were from a CC if the course description matched up enough but that the chance of that happening was very negligible and not something that I should hope for. They said any of the programming credits that were extra from topic of study would then go into General Education as Natural Science, and then into General Electives (as natural science), and lastly Free Electives.

Unfortunately nothing official could be said about it because they won't really work with anyone unless they've formally applied and have transcripts in hand, which I do not.

If it did actually work out that way though, those credits could at least go a fair ways. I'm not sure that it would though but something for me to keep in mind.

On the 'traditional uni' front. It's looking like it would be a very difficult battle to get into the local state unis here for comp sci because even at the liberal arts level it seems that it's considered an engineering degree. I'd have to have Calc 1, 2, 3 with labs (must be graded), Physics 1 & 2 with calc and lab (must be graded), and 2 units of Foreign Language. Plus a few CS courses, in addition to the rest of the general AA requirements.
Spent a tiny bit of time tonight messing around in a Google sheet. I wanted to see how everything might slot in and flow if I used credit by exam and went for the ASTonguerogramming at the local CC. Ideas / suggestions / issues with it are welcome. Some of the things were slotted such as macro / micro / statistics for possibly a BSBA:CIS and because I recall reading that they're often required as foundation courses later on for graduate study.

Rough draft

On another note. I've read about TESC having a residency requirement for those seeking a degree. I believe, 24 credits must be earned at TESC if you're military or using the credit by credit tuition plan. However, you can still use the enrolled options and comprehensive plan without having this number of credits, except that you would pay out of state fees, correct?

Is it possible to take TECEPs without being enrolled in TESC? I read somewhere that people were using them to bypass the residency requirements but I'm not sure how all of that works out.
Drakemoore Wrote:On another note. I've read about TESC having a residency requirement for those seeking a degree. I believe, 24 credits must be earned at TESC if you're military or using the credit by credit tuition plan. However, you can still use the enrolled options and comprehensive plan without having this number of credits, except that you would pay out of state fees, correct?

Is it possible to take TECEPs without being enrolled in TESC? I read somewhere that people were using them to bypass the residency requirements but I'm not sure how all of that works out.

Refer to this post http://www.degreeforum.net/general-educa...post171325

And the original thread http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...post168378

"Setting a goal is not the main thing. It is deciding how you will go about achieving it and staying with that plan." -Tom Landry

TESC:
AAS, Admin Studies. 2010
BA, Social Sciences. 2010. Arnold Fletcher Award.
AAS, Environmental, Safety & Security Technologies. 2011
BSBA, General Management. 2011. Arnold Fletcher Award. Sigma Beta Delta (ΣΒΔWink!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Article about DegreeForum journey smartdegree 11 1,316 02-19-2023, 05:32 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Coursera WIKI Display Issues graduatesoon 4 453 10-02-2022, 10:12 AM
Last Post: graduatesoon
  Anyone else having issues accessing TEEX lessons? delightfulwilderness 2 578 10-26-2021, 09:54 AM
Last Post: delightfulwilderness
  Admissions/Transcript issues *ugh* Vle045 12 1,598 07-17-2021, 04:34 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  ProctorU Premium Fee Issues ctcarl 2 1,343 05-04-2020, 05:00 PM
Last Post: ctcarl
Shocked ProctorU issues? mariorun 6 1,473 10-17-2019, 07:27 AM
Last Post: BrighterFuture88
  Any "Start From Scratch" members willing to share their journey? Idreamofadegree 23 4,832 07-05-2019, 08:55 AM
Last Post: cookderosa
  Journey Thread -- BS Cybersecurity quigongene 106 25,401 01-26-2019, 12:39 PM
Last Post: quigongene
  My Journey from Dead End Job to Success passit1 251 25,768 08-05-2017, 10:13 PM
Last Post: Ideas
  My WGU BS in Accounting Journey! airricklee 10 6,641 04-04-2017, 11:30 AM
Last Post: airricklee