Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NEWB - Overwhelmed looking for help
(10-29-2017, 06:23 PM)HAYDENTREE77 Wrote: This is probably a silly question but I'm assuming ALL exams are proctored?

Davar, Ed4Credit, Saylor, Sophia, Straighterline, and  Study.com - all final exams are proctored.  Some are open book/material (thinking mostly of Straighterline and Sophia) but most are not.  There are a few exceptions, like science labs, that are not proctored.

All use Proctor U except Study.com uses a service called RP now, and Davar gives you a choice.  Proctor U is "live" where you have to set it up with a person on the other end that may or may not know what they are doing, and you may or may not have a frustrating experience.  RP now is a software program that basically records your webcam and screen for later review and doesn't require human interaction at all.  There are ups and downs to both, but from what I've seen on here, people (including me) generally seem to prefer RP now.

TEEX is not proctored, one or two Sophia courses are not proctored, and I don't believe Shmoop is proctored at all.  

TESU exams, both for TECEPs and regular courses use Proctor U but you can also use a human proctor and take the test on paper if you prefer.
This is the better forum community for undergraduate (Associate/Bachelor's) but the other forum is far better at distance learning graduate help (Master's/Doctorate). You're in the right place.

I had a similar situation as you- my initial associate's degree was before my school was RA, and while that degree was (is) prestigious, I needed to add a bachelors and masters to fortify my situation as my career evolved through the years. I was teaching at a college that allowed me to teach with an associate's, but I need the master's for if/when I had to change jobs. (just in time too, in late 2012 we relocated to a new state for my hub's job and I've had no trouble with jobs- turned down one TODAY in fact.)

First, know that almost every degree talked about here can be completed in 6-18 months FROM SCRATCH. I earned an AA and BA in 18 months- and I would have classified that as on the slow side. I think it's realistic to aim for 12 months. I point this out, because sometimes people choose a certain degree because it's "faster" -even if it's not in their field- but "faster" here is different than "faster" in the real world. In other words, pursuing a liberal arts/general education degree might take you 6 months, but something in your field might take 10 months - big picture is to go for the degree that makes your resume robust. An ADDITIONAL credential, not just a check the box. It is just as easy to do this as it is to check the box, and it's unlikely that you'll do this twice- so pick the right degree from the start.

In addition, you're not going to believe me, but after you kill this degree, you're probably going to be motivated to get a masters. I know, you think I'm crazy. That's fine..... but consider that it's a possibility, just roll it around in your mind, and think about what kind of master's you'd like too. Master's degrees are generally not as easy as what you're going to do here to get your bachelor's - so make your bachelor's CHEAP and FAST so you have a little motivation and cash left to pursue more education if (when) the mood strikes you.
Excellent info. Wrapping the 4th quarter at work and will have two weeks off to sort this all out. I have a much better handle on it now. Thanks.
[-] The following 1 user Likes HAYDENTREE77's post:
  • GoldieLux
Good Luck, HaydenTree77! This whole thing is really fun.
[-] The following 1 user Likes eriehiker's post:
  • GoldieLux
The COSC general studies degree will still allow you to take the FREE FEMA courses for direct FREE credit. EC is more flexible, but requires more UL.
Non-Traditional Undergraduate College Credits (634 SH): *FTCC Noncourse Credits (156 SH) *DSST (78 SH) *CPL (64 SH) *JST Military/ACE (48 SH) *CBA (44 SH) *CLEP (42 SH) *FEMA IS (40 SH) *FEMA EM (38 SH) *ECE/UExcel (30 SH) *PLA Portfolio (28 SH) *EMI/ACE (19 SH) *TEEX/ACE (16 SH) *CWE (11 SH) *NFA/ACE (10 SH) *Kaplan/ACE (3 SH) *CPC (2 SH) *AICP/ACE (2 SH) *Sophia/ACE (2 SH) and *FRTI-UM/ACE (1 SH).
Non-Traditional Graduate College Credits (14 SH): AMU (6 SH); NFHS (5 SH); and JSU (3 SH).

(10-29-2017, 06:23 PM)HAYDENTREE77 Wrote:
(10-29-2017, 05:07 PM)dfrecore Wrote: Here are my spreadsheets for the BSBA and BALS.

My best advice: start!  Just take the free Ethics course, then maybe a free TEEX course, then sign up for a month of Study.com (or apply for the scholarship there), then maybe try a SL course.  Try Shmoop.  Whatever.  Just start by doing something, anything, and get that momentum going.  Spend 30-60 minutes a day here on this forum, reading up, learning what to do.  Do it for a week.

Once you find a course provider that you like, keep going with it.  Take 90cr there, if that's what you want to do (easy with both SL and Study.com, but there are more too).  Test out of some things you know already, that's a great motivation (I loved testing out of 4 courses, it felt like a great jump start for me).

Then, keep going.  Even if you can't go as fast as others (and there are people on here who are crazy fast with what they do), go at a good pace for you.  Every little bit helps.  120cr left to go seems daunting, but 100 seems less, and 70 seems less than that, and 30 is awesome.  But you'll never get anywhere if you don't start taking some tests/courses!

Good luck!

Excellent! Thanks for this.

This is probably a silly question but I'm assuming ALL exams are proctored?

(10-29-2017, 04:42 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: I would recommend either the BALS or the BSBA from TESU.  BALS if you just need a degree, BSBA if you're wanting a more useful degree.
The BALS is slightly better in terms of cheap/easy/fast, but the utility of the BSBA is better.  If you are wanting to get a BALS and don't know which concentration, you can go for "no concentration", or from the templates I have in my Beginners Guide (English Lit, or Psychology).

You can use Shmoop for English Lit, and Study.com for Psychology. I have two templates created for BALS, two BSBA, and a BA CS.... I would basically work on the General Education credits first and then the FREE elective credits, work on your AOS last.  Take your time and read the Beginners Guide, Spreadsheet Templates, and last but not least, the Wiki for more details.  Use this thread as your accountability thread for progress and tracking, follow up questions and what not.

Decided upon BALS. Thanks for the info!
You mentioned the long commute by train. If you take study.com courses they have a free app. You can read or listen to each lesson and take the quiz right on your phone. I carried it with me everywhere - and I mean everywhere - soccer practice for my daughter, the park with my son, while walking/running, while driving - I listened to the lessons on autoplay and every break I had in what I was doing I took the quizzes. If I couldn't listen to the lesson I read the transcript and took the quizzes while sitting in a doctors office, when I first woke up in the morning, before I fell asleep - basically any free minute I had. The lessons average 5-8 minutes long if watching the videos and faster if you are a fast reader, you can knock out lessons pretty quickly if you work on them throughout the day. I finished 45 credits in 12 weeks between a combination of study.com, shmoop and a few other course providers.

You also mentioned you don't like math. The BALS only requires one math course. I think the BSBA and a few others require statistics (I think - someone else here can confirm that). I already had an algebra course from quite awhile ago that I had transferred in so I didn't look into it too much. But others on here could probably direct you to the easiest methods for getting those math credits.

The free courses are a great way to get started. I took the insurance ethics course in one day. I took one of the TEEX courses over a weekend. I finished most study.com courses in less than a week. Definitely don't be discouraged. With the courses offered through these providers it isn't hard to gain momentum.
MTS             Nations University - September 2018
BA.LS.SS     Thomas Edison State University -September 2017
[-] The following 1 user Likes rlw74's post:
  • McAllis430
(12-20-2017, 01:55 PM)rlw74 Wrote: You mentioned the long commute by train. If you take study.com courses they have a free app. You can read or listen to each lesson and take the quiz right on your phone. I carried it with me everywhere - and I mean everywhere - soccer practice for my daughter, the park with my son, while walking/running, while driving - I listened to the lessons on autoplay and every break I had in what I was doing I took the quizzes. If I couldn't listen to the lesson I read the transcript and took the quizzes while sitting in a doctors office, when I first woke up in the morning, before I fell asleep - basically any free minute I had. The lessons average 5-8 minutes long if watching the videos and faster if you are a fast reader, you can knock out lessons pretty quickly if you work on them throughout the day. I finished 45 credits in 12 weeks between a combination of study.com, shmoop and a few other course providers.  

You also mentioned you don't like math. The BALS only requires one math course. I think the BSBA and a few others require statistics (I think - someone else here can confirm that). I already had an algebra course from quite awhile ago that I had transferred in so I didn't look into it too much. But others on here could probably direct you to the easiest methods for getting those math credits.

The free courses are a great way to get started. I took the insurance ethics course in one day. I took one of the TEEX courses over a weekend. I finished most study.com courses in less than a week. Definitely don't be discouraged. With the courses offered through these providers it isn't hard to gain momentum.

Great info. I finally have time to focus on this and get on it. I appreciate your input. Very helpful.
Easiest math course/exam I've taken: the Applied Liberal Arts Math TECEP. Got a 90% without studying, but after passing Intermediate Algebra several years prior.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(12-20-2017, 01:55 PM)rlw74 Wrote: The free courses are a great way to get started. I took the insurance ethics course in one day. I took one of the TEEX courses over a weekend.

@rlw74: thanks for the info! For us newbies, could you be so kind as to elaborate what 'free courses' are, and where to get them? I'm specially interested in the ethics course. Anything 'FREE' sounds good to me.  Cool

Thank you bunches!   Smile

Baloo.

(12-22-2017, 07:52 PM)eBaloo Wrote:
(12-20-2017, 01:55 PM)rlw74 Wrote: The free courses are a great way to get started. I took the insurance ethics course in one day. I took one of the TEEX courses over a weekend.

@rlw74: thanks for the info! For us newbies, could you be so kind as to elaborate what 'free courses' are, and where to get them? I'm specially interested in the ethics course. Anything 'FREE' sounds good to me.  Cool

Thank you bunches!   Smile

Baloo.

I found the answer Smile , is on the WIKI: http://degreeforum.wikia.com/wiki/Free_S..._of_Credit

Pretty cool WIKI! Many thanks to all those who contributed!  Cool

Cheers,

Baloo

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  newb here with some questions you havent answered 100 times! Ericmcdonald 18 3,878 06-26-2017, 11:01 PM
Last Post: dcan
  Overwhelmed! Where should I start? Degreegirl1 12 1,776 10-06-2016, 12:10 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Oh my garsh overwhelmed with what to do for my kids for each of their degrees?- HELP geissingert 47 4,005 09-20-2014, 02:13 AM
Last Post: Photog
  General newb questions thill 6 874 04-09-2013, 09:34 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  I am a bit overwhelmed and could use some help forming a degree plan pokesql 2 697 03-03-2013, 09:49 AM
Last Post: Gaz
  New to this and overwhelmed.. susitna1 3 834 02-26-2013, 07:47 AM
Last Post: merolpn