Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
National University Computer Science
Anyone ever consider or have gone through the computer science program at National University? The one month terms are interesting.
Georgia Institute of Technology: MS in Analytics (3/32 Credits)
Boston University: MS in Software Development
Thomas Edison State University: BA in Liberal Studies
(03-11-2019, 12:26 PM)MrBossmanJr Wrote: Anyone ever consider or have gone through the computer science program at National University? The one month terms are interesting.

They have such a bad reputation, I wouldn't consider them for anything.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
OoO, but their computer science degree program has ABET accreditation. I was considering finishing it at TESU because I only have 6 courses left, but I don't know if companies would hire me without the accreditation.
Some of the best computer science programs in the country don't have ABET accreditation because they've determined it's a waste of money. It's usually not needed for employment purposes.

National University is a nonprofit that operates like a for-profit, and they aren't cheap. Everyone is different, but I was at a school with 5.5-week terms, and they were awful.

If you want to become a patent agent, then ABET will make your life easier. I'm not sure if it will help you if you ever want to become a licensed professional engineer. My state requires a lot more work experience for anyone who doesn't have an ABET-accredited engineering degree. An ABET-accredited degree in computer science, IT, occupational safety, engineering technology, or anything else that's not engineering gets second-class treatment.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
ABET is not really that strong in the CS world, you should look at local positions you would like to apply when you are done, check if they have ABET as a requirement.
WGU MS ITM, 2021.
TESU BACS, 2020.
TESU BSBA, 2018.
TESU ASNSM in Computer Science, 2018.
----
UPenn MCIT (Accepted in 2018, not pursuing, see story here).
NAU MCIT (Accepted in 2018, not pursuing)
----
(03-11-2019, 05:25 PM)MrBossmanJr Wrote: OoO, but their computer science degree program has ABET accreditation. I was considering finishing it at TESU because I only have 6 courses left, but I don't know if companies would hire me without the accreditation.

Look at 10 colleges that you respect, and see if they have CS degrees that are ABET.  My nearest 4 colleges (2 CSU-system, 1 UC school, and 1 private school) all have computer science degrees, and none are ABET (they have engineering degrees that are ABET or are in the process of getting ABET, but not computer science).  So I'm going to guess that our local employers don't require this, so the schools don't have it.

Check for yourself and see if you even need to worry about it.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Oooo, thank you. I have been looking it up on Quora and Reddit. It seems like you don't really need it for computer science unless you plan on working for the U.S. patent office or certain federal jobs. People are saying it's really important for engineering, but not computer science. Apparently, Stanford University doesn't even have it for computer science.
for fields outside of the "licensed professional engineer" field, ABET seems even less noteworthy than AACSB/ACBSP/IACBE, which is also not very noteworthy outside of academia. Some business schools might want programmatic accreditation for the very few of us who want to be professors, but the CS/IT/related degrees certainly don't care about that, even within academia if your goal is teaching.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
(03-12-2019, 10:45 PM)jsd Wrote: for fields outside of the "licensed professional engineer" field, ABET seems even less noteworthy than AACSB/ACBSP/IACBE, which is also not very noteworthy outside of academia. Some business schools might want programmatic accreditation for the very few of us who want to be professors, but the CS/IT/related degrees certainly don't care about that, even within academia if your goal is teaching.
I've noticed that elite schools will earn all kinds of programmatic accreditations even when they're not needed. So, the fact that some of the best CS programs don't care to earn ABET tells us how useless it is. 

CEPH accreditation isn't required outside of USPHS, but just about every good public health program has it. It's an interesting flip because a lot of the low-ranked and unranked schools don't have CEPH. With ABET, I noticed that a lot of low-ranked and unranked schools have gotten it for their CS and IT programs. 

My state's PE license can be earned by software and computer engineers, but if you don't have an ABET-accredited degree in software, computer, or any other engineering field, you'll need eight years of work experience just like the applicants without ABET-accredited degrees.

Another example is safety and environmental engineering. They can earn a PE license, but if their ABET-accredited safety degree does not have engineering in the title, it's the same as earning a non-accredited degree and twice as much work experience will be required.

ABET has different divisions, and my state's engineering board only accepts EAC.

EAC - engineering
CAC - computer science
ETAC - engineering technology
ANSAC - environmental and applied science
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Prompt Engineering Course by Vanderbilt University on Coursera LevelUP 2 222 03-23-2024, 05:28 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Graham School - University of Chicago Charles Fout 12 1,611 03-22-2024, 07:19 AM
Last Post: Charles Fout
  AP Computer Science A homeschoolmom1 7 210 03-20-2024, 08:38 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Accounting courses from CPACredits.com/Upper Iowa University inor 22 1,548 03-15-2024, 05:30 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  American Public University? nomaduser 33 2,935 03-14-2024, 07:45 PM
Last Post: Charles Fout
  Eastern University Self-Paced online Degrees natshar 2 596 03-06-2024, 10:03 PM
Last Post: jumlouh
  Questions regarding IDSS (through the MITx micromaster for data science path) blablablox 0 176 03-06-2024, 09:58 AM
Last Post: blablablox
  University of Idaho acquiring University of Phoenix bjcheung77 10 1,240 03-04-2024, 06:26 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
  University of California System Bans Fully Online Degrees davewill 23 3,605 03-01-2024, 10:57 AM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  LLB University of London Online newdegree 1 348 02-28-2024, 01:46 PM
Last Post: freeloader