Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need help finding graduate classes
I'm currently in the Doctor of Public Administration program at Valdosta State. Apart from the 30 9000-level credits that are part of the core curriculum, there are 24 credits at the Master's level which make up your concentration (15 hours) and electives (6 hours). VSU's DPA has no set list of concentrations (i.e. X classes in a given subject = concentration). Instead they take a mix & match approach as long as you can relate the subject matter in a reasonable way to Public Administration & get approval from the program director.

My dilemma is this: Despite being in a PA program, I'm not looking forward to several more years of enthralling courses such as Intergovernmental Management and Public Sector Planning, which are my choices for concentration/electives if I stay only within classes that are offered by the PA program. We have been told that a graduate certificate in another topic from VSU or elsewhere could count as our concentration (again, given approval), but I've had a hard time finding one that would be both applicable and affordable. I live in GA, most of my tuition for the DPA program is paid for as I'm a state employee, and right now I'm on track to complete the DPA in a 5 year period (2021). I'm not finding anything in-state that my tuition assistance would cover that would be of any use in my situation.

My background is in emergency management & public health/toxicology. I'd like to find something in or related to those areas. PA is a very dry subject field and a DPA isn't exactly something one pursues for the sake of personal enrichment, so I'm looking for something that would either 1) add some interesting subject matter or 2) speed up my graduation timetable. VSU has a Healthcare Administration grad certificate, but I'm not sold on that as a possibility at the moment. I'm in an out of the way part of the state, so any options would need to be online.

So my question is: Are there any online grad certificates or self-paced grad classes that could possibly fit this criteria? I'm not opposed to paying out of pocket, but it would either have to be something relatively cheap in an interesting subject or something self-paced that would speed up my timeline for graduation. I've been working full time and in college continuously since January 2008, so I'm ready to be done with it all. (Yet couldn't walk away from a relatively-free doctorate.) At this point anything that would even shave 1 semester off my graduation date would be welcome.
MS - Human Relations & Business, Amberton University
BA - Liberal Studies, TESC
AAS - Administrative Studies, TESC
AAS - Environmental, Safety & Security Technologies, TESC
Certificate - Crisis Management, Central GA Technical College
These are the cheapest/ easiest graduate courses I know about (VESi through Southern Utah), but I'm not sure they would work for you.
https://www.virtualeduc.com/direct_accou....php?uid=5
BA, MA, EdS, MMT, etc.
83 hours of ACE-worthy credits
You would be hard pressed to put any of those into public administration.

My personal opinion, and knowing a little about public sector, I would go for something like a graduate certificate from Harvard extension. They have a few that could work and public sector loves the ivy. There are also some less expensive options like UMass - really broad selections of choices.

Just my .02 as I know this wasn't exactly what you asked for
Former University of Pennsylvania Economics Major Trying to Restart
Currently working on Study.com Guardian Scholarship: Personal Finance, American Government, Environmental Science, Intro to Management, Hist Vietnam War - 15cr
ALEKs: Beginning/Intermediate/College Algebra - 9cr
The Institutes: Professional Ethics - 2cr
TEEX: All 3 Cyber Security - 6cr
CLEP:A&I Lit - 6cr
Sophia: Building Teams - 1cr
Kaplan: PLA - 3cr
Saylor: Env Ethics - 3cr
45cr down
I know, but you could probably tie some of them (like Substance Abuse) into public health.
BA, MA, EdS, MMT, etc.
83 hours of ACE-worthy credits
UCLA extension has graduate level courses at $750 a course.

Any. UCLA course numbered 400 and above is considered graduate level.
MA in progress
Certificate in the Study of Capitalism - University of Arkansas
BS, Business  Administration - Ashworth College
Certificates in Accounting & Finance 
BA, Regents Bachelor of Arts - West Virginia University
AAS & AGS
University of Colorado, Colorado Springs has a Graduate Certificate in Diversity and Inclusion. $550 a course.

Graduate Certificate Program in Diversity, Social Justice and Inclusion - LAS Extended Studies | University of Colorado Colorado Springs
MA in progress
AAS & AGS
UC irvine Extension has many certificates where courses run around $650.
MA in progress
AAS & AGS
videogamesrock Wrote:UC irvine Extension has many certificates where courses run around $650.

How can you tell which ones are graduate-level certificates? And how many graduate credits you can get for them?
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
You can take as many as you want to pay for. Majority are at the graduate level which are courses 200 and above. They are ok the quarter system and have different course numberings. 1-99 is LL, 100-199 is UL, 200+ is graduate.
MA in progress
AAS & AGS
videogamesrock Wrote:You can take as many as you want to pay for. Majority are at the graduate level which are courses 200 and above. They are ok the quarter system and have different course numberings. 1-99 is LL, 100-199 is UL, 200+ is graduate.

I still didn't see how many credits each course was.

When I look for UC Irvine Extension, it takes me to the Division of Continuing Education, which doesn't seem right.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Graduate Discounts (ENEB, Walden, etc) ashkir 24 21,051 Yesterday, 01:03 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Fastest way to get into graduate school megaworp 20 874 03-22-2024, 11:23 AM
Last Post: davewill
  Graduate Schools that accept the most transfer credits sanantone 65 15,167 03-06-2024, 05:33 PM
  Graduate transfer credits David1477 10 944 03-03-2024, 02:05 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  ENEB won't let me graduate and refusing to answer all emails and calls slayer35 41 4,466 02-20-2024, 10:20 PM
Last Post: William.H
  List of free graduate credit udi 15 7,612 01-26-2024, 09:16 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  Transferring graduate credit from UofPeople Quackerz 8 646 01-16-2024, 10:00 PM
Last Post: Quackerz
Thumbs Up Will graduate schools in the United States and abroad accept an online college degree shoron 47 6,538 01-15-2024, 11:18 PM
  Country Preview : Graduate/Doctorate Degrees in Malaysia bjcheung77 11 2,355 01-13-2024, 11:34 AM
  Using Pell Grant for Graduate Courses while Undergrad SophiaPrincess 2 461 10-19-2023, 02:57 PM