Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New COSC policy for ACE and NCCRS providers
(05-13-2020, 12:50 PM)SteveFoerster Wrote: For what it's worth I have to make a public apology here, because a month or two ago in response to the rumor that this was going to happen I asked the administration at Charter Oak point blank, and they told me no, and even asked me to quash the rumor, which I dutifully came back here and tried to do.

Believe me, I'm not very happy about that. At all. Mea maxima culpa, everyone.

As for why they are doing this, who knows? Change in Connecticut state policy? Pressure from NEASC? Desire for more revenue? Some other reason? I'm not going to speculate. I do know that 2/3 of their students are in Connecticut, and I gather that quite a few of them take a lot of Charter Oak's online courses (like students at "normal" schools), and that 114'ers like us are only a minority of enrollees. Make of that what you will.

Totally not your fault.  I appreciated you looking into it from the beginning.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Homeschool College Guidance Counselor Mom to twin 18 yo boys

CsmLearn
Study: US History, Pres Skills, Enviro Sci, Ethics America, Intro CJ, Meteorology, Forensic Sci, Criminology
Sophia: Psych, Visual Comms, Sociology, Eff Teams, Mng Conflict,  Anc Greek, Art History 1, Intro to IT,
Intro to Bus, Engl Comp 1&2, Religion, Conflict Reso, College Algebra, US History 2
TEEX: Death Invest
Coopersmith: Stress Mgmt, Therapeutic, Drugs & Society, Sport & Exercise, Psych of Motivation, Pos Psych, Career Coun
Community College: Comp Info Syst, A+ Hardware, A+ Op Syst, Linux Op Syst, Networks, Switching & Routing, Networking, IT Security
Computer Certs: Comp Tia A+

Planning for (2) Bachelors: BSLS 

(05-09-2020, 12:55 PM)natshar Wrote:
(05-09-2020, 12:47 PM)Old Guy Wrote: If COSC is just another bottom rung school, why does it even exist?  There are already enough of those.

Still one thing sets COSC is that you can transfer in 114 credits. Sure it might not be a good option for people starting for scratch but could be a good option for people with prior RA credit.

Most schools require not just 30 RA credits but 30 AT THAT SCHOOL. COSC is still only of 3 schools in the US that for a bachelors degree you don't have to do 30 with them. 

So the big 3 aren't completely gone.

COSC is still cheaper than TESU and they allow you to double dip. If you have the RA credit it could be a good option for people on this fourm looking to finish thier degree.

“Double dip”???
(05-13-2020, 08:07 PM)Ibantpi Wrote: “Double dip”???

Use 1 class to cover 2 requirements.
MSML, WGU 2022
BAS, UMPI, 2021
AAS, Pierpont C&TC, 2021

ACE (119): Sophia, 93; TEEX, 5; SDC, 12; ACTFL, 6
RA (50): ASU, 8; ONU, 3; UMPI, 39
NA (16) : UoPeople, 16
Other: ENEB/Isabel I, MBA (2021)
Also dropped a gazillion of classes!!

Family members work on degrees at Ashworth, TESU, Purdue, UMPI, NationsU
[-] The following 1 user Likes NoStudentNoCry's post:
  • Ibantpi
Regarding the new COSC changes....

Would it be possible to complete 9 upper level classes before July 1st? 
My daughter is presently working on English 102 and Speech with SL. In addition to those, she will have 9 upper level classes left to complete and plans to use Study.com.

Can someone please tell me:

1.)Are the Study.com UL classes bogged down with papers or projects?

2.)Which 3 UL Business classes, at Study.com, will be the fastest to complete?

3.)Where can we find which Business concentration category (the 9 credits) each of the UL Study.com Business courses will fit into? Does it matter that all 3 are in one of the categories or can they be random?

Thank you in advance to anyone who is willing to give us advice!
(If there is a better place for me to post these questions, please let me know.)
(05-13-2020, 11:39 PM)Ibantpi Wrote: Regarding the new COSC changes....

My daughter is presently working on English 102 and Speech with SL. In addition to those, she will have 9 upper level classes left to complete and plans to use Study.com.

3.)Where can we find which Business concentration category (the 9 credits) each of the UL Study.com Business courses will fit into? Does it matter that all 3 are in one of the categories or can they be random?

(If there is a better place for me to post these questions, please let me know.)

To do 9 Ul courses and have them on an ACE transcript by July 1st. That is about one course every 5 days. And that doesn't include anytime to get the courses on ACE and sent everything to COSC. So realistically you are looking at one ul course every 4 days or less.

The other issue is study.com only allows 5 exams every 30 days. So you would have to time everything correctly to get it all done. 

So it might be possible but your daughter would have to work really hard to get it all done.

Hopefully like a lot of us she has a lot of free time to work on these courses.
[-] The following 1 user Likes natshar's post:
  • Ibantpi
(05-13-2020, 11:39 PM)Ibantpi Wrote: Regarding the new COSC changes....

I have all upper levels that I’m taking for BSBA.  Every class that I need has assignments like a research paper or case study, some have 2 and 3.  You can review the courses and their respective assignments at Study.com without having to be signed up. 

If you go to the transfer guide between study.com and COSC on the study.com site, you can see how the classes come in as.  I just recently learned that it is not 100% accurate so best to confirm that a class comes in as UL before you take it.  I’m still new here, so let me go see if I can post a link to the transfer guide....
[-] The following 1 user Likes kevie's post:
  • Ibantpi
https://study.com/college/school/charter...ansfer-tab
(05-14-2020, 03:09 AM)lacussucceed Wrote: https://study.com/college/school/charter...ansfer-tab

Thank you - I’m stuck using my iPhone and couldn’t easily navigate.
[-] The following 1 user Likes kevie's post:
  • Ibantpi
How about ALEKS is this still good to go?
COMPLETED

ASU: Human Origins (3)
Sophia: Developing Effective Teams (1) Student Success (1)  The Ess. of Managing Conflict (1) Art History 1 (3) US History 1(3) Religions (3) Environmental science (3) Ancient Greek Philosophers (3) English Comp 1 (3) 
Visual communications (3) Art History 2 (3) Introduction to psychology (3) Introduction to Ethics (3) US History 2 (3) Human Biology (3) 
Communication at Work (3) Conflict resolution(3)

The institute: Ethics 312 (3)
Shmoop: Holocaust Literature (3) American National Government (3) Introduction to Drama (3)

IN PROGRESS
Sophia:    
I'n wondering that if TESU follows this, do you think an option for a new student with no prior credits would be: Study.com (90 credits) transfer, then TECEP 24 credits (8 courses)?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  COSC Credit Registry Won't Accept Credly siege101 16 2,959 02-24-2024, 11:26 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Should COSC Lose Stand Alone Category Here? SophiaPrincess 23 2,859 01-21-2024, 07:12 PM
  Business and Managment BA COSC alt credit option ice.paint 6 781 11-24-2023, 03:14 PM
Last Post: withrown
  COSC New GE Requirements Emmalina 20 2,399 08-30-2023, 02:17 PM
Last Post: topdog98
  COSC DEI requirements SkMama 11 1,095 08-20-2023, 01:24 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  COSC requiremnt for lab course and new Sophia Labs Kab 14 1,340 06-29-2023, 02:33 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  COSC Accepting few SDC credits scottlefoll 54 6,785 06-22-2023, 07:42 PM
  Do you have to write a lot of papers at COSC? MichaelD 10 2,250 08-06-2022, 11:17 AM
  COSC Drops Liberal Studies Concentration Tedium 6 1,914 03-15-2022, 08:41 PM
Last Post: Tedium
  COSC President and Provost on Accountability in Higher Education SteveFoerster 9 1,665 02-28-2022, 08:33 PM
Last Post: ReyMysterioso