Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New International User Seeking Help with Plan for Bachelors Degree
Which country are you from GlobalStudent? How much are you wanting to spend and how many years? Are you wanting to further that education with a Masters or beyond? Since you're still young, I would recommend Grantham University. Basically, GU has a BS.EET (Electronics Engineering Technology) program that is ABET accredited that can be completed entirely online or by distance education.

Are you wanting more than one degree? You might want to use the "testing out option" for another degree, but for Engineering, most of them should be taken with "more" study to get you to a very knowledgeable level. Testing out is more for people who "just want that piece of paper". Take accounting as an example, testing out - you hardly learn the concepts of accounting in full, the same will apply to engineering.

Final note: I usually only recommend testing out for a BALS or a BSBA, for the BSBA, you can ladder to an MBA afterward.
For the BALS, one may want to further that educational goal with another degree or Masters in an unrelated field. All in all, it's up to the individual on what they want to specialize in or what their interests are in.... good luck on your studies!
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
Thank you for this useful info, Davewill. My first language is English. We're negotiating with an IT center in my hometown to register as a CLEP test center, which seems to be a possibility. They are busy investigating their options. This will help a lot if it could materialize; otherwise, I'll have to purchase the required study material, study on my own and take the tests at TESU test centers as soon as I'm ready, which might take longer than anticipated, but it'll still be shorter than taking online courses that I, in any event, can't afford. Wouldn't it?
(09-04-2017, 05:39 PM)GlobalStudent Wrote: Thank you for this useful info, Davewill. My first language is English. We're negotiating with an IT center in my hometown to register as a CLEP test center, which seems to be a possibility. They are busy investigating their options. This will help a lot if it could materialize; otherwise, I'll have to purchase the required study material, study on my own and take the tests at TESU test centers as soon as I'm ready, which might take longer than anticipated, but it'll still be shorter than taking online courses that I, in any event, can't afford. Wouldn't it?

No. You need to check out the other credit sources I listed. They are self paced so you can move quickly and costs are about the same as a CLEP. With coupon codes they are often cheaper. Saylor.org is free, you only pay a $25 fee to the proctoring company.

BTW, There is no such thing as a "TESU test center". TESU and the other sources I listed use online proctoring with a webcam for testing.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
Thanks again, Bjcheung77 and Davewill. Yes, I now see TESU makes use of online proctoring that I didn't know about since Excelsior makes use of Perdue and Perdue has a test center in my country and my hometown, so I assumed the other colleges do that too. I will definitely look into Saylor and I'm also happy that proctoring is used by Saylor. Wow, Saylor's low costs suit me very well. What I wish to find now is an online course or degree program in Physics, as mentioned by Sanantone and if at all available, but so far I couldn't find anything concrete or that would suit my pocket. If an online physics degree exists that I can test out of and that is affordable, then I'd prefer that, but if I have to earn another degree as stepping stone toward physics, I'll do that too. I like the idea of Grantham University's online BS.EET (Electronics Engineering Technology); I'll definitely look into that. If anyone knows about an affordable online physics degree that I could possibly test out of, please let me know. Once again, I'm very grateful for all your help.
@GlobalStudent, it's been hard to give advice not knowing your country or if and where you want to pursue grad school. I don't see any path for doing a physics degree online without being able to attend in-person science lab courses, nor do I see you getting into a grad program without them. Are you planning to go to grad school in the U.S.? Is there no way for you to take science courses locally and transfer them?

If you absolutely must get a bachelor's degree cheap and completely online, I recommend you pursue a degree in mathematics, then afterwards find some way to get the science lab coursework needed to apply to a graduate program. Maybe the bachelor's would help you get a job that would allow you to pay tuition (and maybe relocate) for the science coursework?
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
Yup, that's what I was asking as well; if we know which country your studies are from, it'll be easier to gauge what may be required. If you would like, these are the other recommended programs (I would recommend these over the Grantham University BSEET as it's more in the fields you want). There's a few more but can't recall from the memory banks in the brain, but I'll update this recommendation list if I recall anything.

APUS has a few engineering/science degrees including BSEE: http://www.apu.apus.edu/academic/degrees...elors.html
Excelsior has several technology degrees: http://www.excelsior.edu/programs/techno...or-degrees
Transfer credits for BSAST Technical Studies: TESU: http://www.tesu.edu/ast/bsast/
TESU BA (Double Major in Comp Sci & Math): http://www.tesu.edu/heavin/ba/
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(09-06-2017, 01:11 PM)davewill Wrote: @GlobalStudent, it's been hard to give advice not knowing your country or if and where you want to pursue grad school.  I don't see any path for doing a physics degree online without being able to attend in-person science lab courses, nor do I see you getting into a grad program without them. Are you planning to go to grad school in the U.S.? Is there no way for you to take science courses locally and transfer them?

If you absolutely must get a bachelor's degree cheap and completely online, I recommend you pursue a degree in mathematics, then afterwards find some way to get the science lab coursework needed to apply to a graduate program. Maybe the bachelor's would help you get a job that would allow you to pay tuition (and maybe relocate) for the science coursework?

Which is why I recommended in my first post here that he get a cheap degree first, get a good-paying job, and then parlay that into the degree he/she actually wants (Physics).
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(09-06-2017, 05:47 AM)GlobalStudent Wrote: Thanks again, Bjcheung77 and Davewill. Yes, I now see TESU makes use of online proctoring that I didn't know about since Excelsior makes use of Perdue and Perdue has a test center in my country and my hometown, so I assumed the other colleges do that too. I will definitely look into Saylor and I'm also happy that proctoring is used by Saylor. Wow, Saylor's low costs suit me very well. What I wish to find now is an online course or degree program in Physics, as mentioned by Sanantone and if at all available, but so far I couldn't find anything concrete or that would suit my pocket. If an online physics degree exists that I can test out of and that is affordable, then I'd prefer that, but if I have to earn another degree as stepping stone toward physics, I'll do that too. I like the idea of Grantham University's online BS.EET (Electronics Engineering Technology); I'll definitely look into that. If anyone knows about an affordable online physics degree that I could possibly test out of, please let me know. Once again, I'm very grateful for all your help.

Davewill is trying to get a grasp on your physical location so we can best advise you. Multiple people over the the years have gotten their degree from outside the United States but at a cost. If you are an international student you will pay International student rates for any courses you take. You mentioned you have a GED was this issued in the United States or in a U.S protectorate? Is it transcribed in English?

If not in the United States different rules apply to your application, foreign evaluation requirements for example, depending on your needs and the target school's policy the cost starts around $300 and takes a few months. Do you have a U.S issued social security number or TIN this also affects how you can take tests overseas. Do you have easy access to London, Switzerland or Austria?

What is your estimated budget for getting your degree, for example mine will probably cost about $6000 even with testing out.
Don't forget that gaining college credit by taking exams is one of the reason's we're here. That's mainly possible through the flashcards made available by the owner of this forum : InstantCert Plus of course your hard work in learning and reviewing
Current Credits

Irish Education

FETAC Level 6 Adv Cert in Admin

Spreadsheets 5 U.S credits A ,Word Processing 2.5 U.S credits A
Business Management 5.0 U.S credits A Web Authoring 2.5 U.S credits A Communications 5.0 U.S credits A Manual and Computerized Bookkeeping 2.5 U.S Credits A

ECDL (European Computer Drivers License) ICS SKILLS 5 credits

Strayer University Marketing 100 (paid for by Starbucks) A 4.5 quarter hours
CLEP U.S History I 74, U.S History II 69, Western Civ II 61, Western Civ I 64, HG&D 60, Humanities 60, biz law 67,Am Gov 57.
DSST: Biz ethics & s 450, Art WW 424
EC CCS 120 A , EC ENG 101 A, EC BUS 312 H.R A , EC ENG 102 A,
B&M ACC 151 B, B&M ACC 152 (starting) Nat Scies,
Thank you so much, each and everyone, for your help. I'm a South African and wrote my international GED here too, so as I understand I now fall under the Education Board of America and I'm registered with the College Board since I'm studying for my SAT, which I'll be writing on October 7. My half brother lives in NY and he moved there in 1999 after graduating from high school here. No, I don't have a social security number and I'm fully aware that I'll be paying international fees. I have $6000 - $9000 available for my studies.

About the good paying job. This is very difficult in South Africa for me now, as I'm a white male, so companies are forced to take blacks due to affirmative action, even if they're not qualified for the job or educated. However, it doesn't mean that I won't be trying; good paying jobs are just rare. Please don't judge me or my country; this reverse apartheid is simply the way things are over here now; the reason I seriously need help and advice.

My mother spoke to the IT test center here and they are favorably considering our plea to register as a CLEP test center, but they can only attend to this matter in 2 weeks from now as exams are taking place that require their undivided attention.

What is a cheap degree Dfrecore mentioned?

I went to the UNISA offices in my area yesterday to find out if I can take science courses and have the credits transferred, but the lady who can help me will only be back at work tomorrow. The other personnel said they don't think so as UNISA is no longer internationally recognized. UNISA used to be one of the top distance learning higher education institutions in the world, but the membership lapsed in 2007 and wasn't renewed. Hence, I'm stuck.

If I really can't take a physics course or something related, then I'll just have to settle for a BA mathematics or possibly BS degree in something else that is easier obtainable. Nuclear engineering and nuclear energy engineering technology seems quite intriguing, but I don't know if I'll be able to understand the course work as I don't have a job in that area. From what I've read on the internet, most students have worked or are working as technicians in this field. I also don't think I'll have more money available later for a second Bachelor's degree, so if I can do it right the first time around, it'll be the best. This is actually my only option; the reason the test out method appeals to me as it suits my pocket. I truly don't have $30 000+ to take online courses. I would love to relocate, but I first need to prove I'm worth something and I can only do that by obtaining my Bachelor's degree as quick as possible, which as I understand from Scott Young (DIY degree expert) is the way to impress employers.

Once again, I'm truly grateful for all the help and advice so far. Brainstorming sincerely helps me to learn about my options.
(09-12-2017, 03:03 AM)GlobalStudent Wrote: Thank you so much, each and everyone, for your help. I'm a South African and wrote my international GED here too, so as I understand I now fall under the Education Board of America and I'm registered with the College Board since I'm studying for my SAT, which I'll be writing on October 7. My half brother lives in NY and he moved there in 1999 after graduating from high school here. No, I don't have a social security number and I'm fully aware that I'll be paying international fees. I have $6000 - $9000 available for my studies.

About the good paying job. This is very difficult in South Africa for me now, as I'm a white male, so companies are forced to take blacks due to affirmative action, even if they're not qualified for the job or educated. However, it doesn't mean that I won't be trying; good paying jobs are just rare. Please don't judge me or my country; this reverse apartheid is simply the way things are over here now; the reason I seriously need help and advice.

My mother spoke to the IT test center here and they are favorably considering our plea to register as a CLEP test center, but they can only attend to this matter in 2 weeks from now as exams are taking place that require their undivided attention.

What is a cheap degree Dfrecore mentioned?

I went to the UNISA offices in my area yesterday to find out if I can take science courses and have the credits transferred, but the lady who can help me will only be back at work tomorrow. The other personnel said they don't think so as UNISA is no longer internationally recognized. UNISA used to be one of the top distance learning higher education institutions in the world, but the membership lapsed in 2007 and wasn't renewed. Hence, I'm stuck.

If I really can't take a physics course or something related, then I'll just have to settle for a BA mathematics or possibly BS degree in something else that is easier obtainable. Nuclear engineering and nuclear energy engineering technology seems quite intriguing, but I don't know if I'll be able to understand the course work as I don't have a job in that area. From what I've read on the internet, most students have worked or are working as technicians in this field. I also don't think I'll have more money available later for a second Bachelor's degree, so if I can do it right the first time around, it'll be the best. This is actually my only option; the reason the test out method appeals to me as it suits my pocket. I truly don't have $30 000+ to take online courses. I would love to relocate, but I first need to prove I'm worth something and I can only do that by obtaining my Bachelor's degree as quick as possible, which as I understand from Scott Young (DIY degree expert) is the way to impress employers.

Once again, I'm truly grateful for all the help and advice so far. Brainstorming sincerely helps me to learn about my options.

There's no such thing as being internationally recognized in a sense that means anything, and there are actually a lot of Americans who are interested in attending South African schools due to their low cost. There are several different evaluation companies that U.S. schools use to see how an applicant's foreign education compares to the U.S. system. What that company will look for first is whether or not the foreign school is accredited or authorized by its government to operate. There is no such thing as international accreditation or membership that automatically makes a school recognized worldwide.

As long as UNISA is still authorized by South Africa's governing body for education to award degrees, then the school is still legitimate. However, some countries' higher education systems do have better reputations, and that's usually based on a country's level of economic development. While South Africa can't compete with the reputations of the U.S., UK, Japan, etc. (the majority of countries can't), South Africa has one of the better reputations in Africa. You may not have a high opinion of your country due to the political history and racial issues there, but most outsiders are not tainted by that ingrained bias.

I, honestly, don't know how affirmative action works in South Africa and won't pretend to, but I do know that a lot of white people complain about affirmative action in the U.S. without having the slightest clue how it works. The U.S. has no law requiring employers to hire underqualified minorities, quotas were ruled unconstitutional, and a couple of historically black colleges have been ordered to recruit more white students because affirmative action applies to everyone. Statistically, equally qualified black people are less likely to be hired despite affirmative action's existence.

Sorry for ranting and going off topic, but this issue makes me angry because people think that I, as a black woman with college degrees, can automatically get hired anywhere. That is far from the truth. Even after others had veterans' preference points added to their civil service exams, I still blew everyone out the water with my score. However, I was passed over for applicants who were already certified. They were allowed to do that. Affirmative action didn't require them to give me a job even though they have no black people working for their department. It also didn't matter that I had a much higher test score than all the other applicants and more education than 99% of all Americans. They were allowed to make a choice to save their department money by hiring people who had already been through the academy. Even with a verbal GRE score that is better than 81% of all test takers (I think my percentile might be even higher now), I didn't get into a few doctoral programs even though my verbal and quantitative scores were well above what they wanted. When people tell me that I should be able to get into any school I want or get any job I want, I just laugh.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What do i Do if an application asks for GPA with a degree from the Big 3? Crt 5 3,204 09-19-2018, 08:54 AM
Last Post: Johmford
  Transfer Credit towards degree @ TESU Supermind 2 2,859 09-14-2018, 03:30 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Help with figuring out TESU History Degree plan AJay5595 10 3,344 09-06-2018, 10:56 AM
Last Post: BAngieB
  Associates degree in Business - Options? allen3373 9 2,675 09-04-2018, 02:57 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  My Technical Studies Degree Plan SRES 17 4,871 08-31-2018, 12:23 AM
  BSBA in Finance Degree Plan from TESU UnbreakablyDetermined 2 2,778 08-30-2018, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Luiscastaneda25
  Has anyone been overlooked for a degree Crt 21 5,008 08-29-2018, 12:06 PM
Last Post: jsd
  Advice on Choosing a Degree Program UnbreakablyDetermined 3 1,965 08-26-2018, 08:06 PM
  COSC 2nd Degree Plan mb232627 5 2,326 08-24-2018, 12:55 AM
Last Post: mb232627
  TESU math degree plan. Am I doing this right? jakepg 9 2,686 08-23-2018, 09:20 PM
Last Post: armstrongsubero