Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New here - Looking to upgrade to a degree (Canadian resident)
Be careful with self courier, its better to have the school send them, everyone who had problems with WES all carried them for themselves, so I don't know if that will be a problem. Like I say expect to spend at least US 5k, some of that cost is in fees like that shipping, proctoring etc. Just sit back and wait now in the mean time, take my advice and work on math. Start from pre-algebra and work your way up, you have no choice, you MUST do a math course. The liberal arts math or something, anything! just don't give up, there is no way around it. You can do it!
GRADUATE

Master of Business Administration, Robert Cavelier University (2024-2025)

MS Information and Communication Technology (UK IET Accredited) (On Hold)
Master of Theological Studies, Nations University (6 cr)

UNDERGRAD : 184 Credits

BA Computer Science, TESU  '19
BA Liberal Studies, TESU  '19
AS  Natural Science and Mathematics, TESU  '19

StraighterLine (27 Cr)   Shmoop (18 Cr)  Sophia (11 Cr)
TEEX (5 Cr) Aleks (9 Cr)  ED4Credit (3 Cr) CPCU (2 Cr)   Study.com (39 Cr)

TESU (4 cr)
TT B&M (46 Cr)  Nations University  (9 cr)  UoPeople: (3 cr) Penn Foster: (8 cr)  

(08-13-2018, 06:45 PM)armstrongsubero Wrote: Be careful with self courier, its better to have the school send them, everyone who had problems with WES all carried them for themselves, so I don't know if that will be a problem. Like I say expect to spend at least US 5k, some of that cost is in fees like that shipping, proctoring etc.  Just sit back and wait now in the mean time, take my advice and work on math. Start from pre-algebra and work your way up, you have no choice, you MUST do a math course. The liberal arts math or something, anything! just don't give up, there is no way around it. You can do it!

Well for both of my colleges, you had to request the transcript in writing, so it wasn't as simple as phoning them and telling them to mail or do it electronic to wes (if they do that). Maybe there would have been more charges. On the WES account page it says it is an option to mail or courier it to them, you just have to make sure to put your WES account number on everything. I will do it with tracking so I can track it. It's not that far from where I am to that location, but it does have to cross the border. 

Yeah, I am doing ALEKS college algebra right now. 
I already did all 3 teex, 2 sophia, the NFA course, ethics(but expired, so I won't get this). 

I was advised I need 2 science as well? I might do those next at straighterline. It's too bad they don't accept shmoop now because that looked like a good option...

Also, I guess I should apply to TESU after couriering it so they actually have a record of me?
At what point should I request the ACE transcript be sent over? After I have a lot more courses added?
TESU BALS: Awarded June 2019
Credits:
TESU: LIB Capstone 3cr, Cornerstone 1cr 
Aleks: 3cr, Insurance Institute: 2cr NFA: 1cr 
Sophia: 2cr Straighterline: 48cr TEEX: 6cr 
Study.com: 18cr B&M: 77cr
Great! You are off to a great start! Yes! You need 4 credits in science which I think is meant for 1 science with lab, though C++ can fit in there. However 2 non lab science courses can also fill it.

The two best science courses for the math phobia set is the Intro to Nutrition and Environmental Science from SL. They can be knocked out in 2 days a piece. One and a half day for studying and about 20-30 mins for the exam. I like the 'take it now' on SL cause everything is still fresh in your mind. So in two weekends you can have them or 4 days (assuming 12 hour days).
GRADUATE

TESU (4 cr)
TT B&M (46 Cr)  Nations University  (9 cr)  UoPeople: (3 cr) Penn Foster: (8 cr)  

Ok - I just applied and submitted the payment and it said I would be re-directed back to the app page, but now I have no idea what to do.

Shows 3 boxes, create a profile, start an app, complete an app.
If I click on complete an app, it just brings me back to the same info page I already filled out and then brings you to the payment screen again....
Credits:
(08-13-2018, 06:58 PM)zzzz24 Wrote: ...
Also, I guess I should apply to TESU after couriering it so they actually have a record of me?
At what point should I request the ACE transcript be sent over? After I have a lot more courses added?

I'd probably wait until WES is done with their evaluation, then apply to TESU and send over your WES eval and other transcripts for TESU to do as one evaluation. You can send in your ACE transcript as often (or as seldom) as you like. It's just a matter of balancing transcript fees against the peace of mind of knowing where your courses slot into your degree. Also TESU will only do two evaluations before you're formally enrolled by taking a course or TECEP.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
Hmmm since he already applied and has two evals he can do what I did, he can can send his ACE now and take the cornerstone or a TECEP to be enrolled, then when WES is finished send those.

In the mean time finish your college algebra and science courses intro to nutrition and envi sci.
GRADUATE

TESU (4 cr)

I sent my documents to WES today by courier and applied to TESU last night. They confirmed it was received.
I have 2 college transcripts to be evaluated by WES, one is a full 2 year diploma and the other is just 2 courses from a college I went to prior to switching programs.
Hopefully TESU treats that as one evaluation?

I am doing algebra and nutrition at the moment.
Credits:
As long as WES sends them at the same time they will be treated as one evaluation. The first two evaluations as lightning fast! Then slow as mud after.

Excellent! As soon as you are done that do the envi sci abd wait for WES. Its good with courier cause you can confirm WES has revieved, pay for rush evalulation and you will have in in a month or two....I got mines in a month. Some people tell me WES took months when they dint pay for rush and I read reviews of some people saying they never got their eval at all though no one I know personally.
GRADUATE

TESU (4 cr)

(08-13-2018, 08:55 PM)zzzz24 Wrote: Ok - I just applied and submitted the payment and it said I would be re-directed back to the app page, but now I have no idea what to do.

Shows 3 boxes, create a profile, start an app, complete an app.
If I click on complete an app, it just brings me back to the same info page I already filled out and then brings you to the payment screen again....

You should get an email once you're accepted with your student ID number and login info. You can send in your transcripts any time they're ready. Like I said, if you're going to send the ACE transcript, try to get it there at close to the same time as the WES eval so it all counts as one eval.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
(07-29-2018, 07:08 PM)zzzz24 Wrote: Hello,

I have been reading a lot of this forum and the other degree forum (not sure which one is better?) but thought I would register here.

Hope I am posting this in the correct category. I am sure this has been posted over and over again, but was looking for some advice on where to start. 

I differ from most others here, I am Canadian, so would have to do this a little bit differently than others. 
I currently have a 2 year community college diploma and was interested in upgrading to a bachelors degree. My diploma is similar to a paralegal, so I would probably be interested in studying something either legal or english related. Math is a week point for me, so hopefully something without much or any of it. 

It seems like CLEP/DSST is mostly a U.S. thing and I don't really see many testing centers for this here. So it looks like I may have to use mostly the online websites like study, straighterline, etc? 
I am looking for literally the easiest/quickest bachelors degree I can obtain. Any suggestions on where to start? 
Probably get my transcripts and then get them evaluated for U.S. equivalency? Then pick a degree most suitable? 
Then basically start registering for online courses and once I have fulfilled everything, I basically register at my university of choice and pay any extra course/grad fees? 

Any help is appreciated. 

Thank you

If you want t brush up on areas of math, Khan Academy is a great resource for that (as well as so many other areas now too) imho!

(07-30-2018, 09:09 AM)zzzz24 Wrote: Thanks for the info everyone.

Here are the courses I have taken at community colleges.

I have also taken some other courses here and there as I have mentioned, but I am assuming they would not be accepted because they aren't from an actual community college and wouldn't be able to send any actual transcripts to WES for evaluation to send to TESU? I just have certificates from those. I also have a decade of work experience in various positions, not sure if that would count for anything?

COURSE COURSE NAME CREDITS GRADE
COMM 214 COLLEGE WRTG SKILLS-LAW CLERK 3 60
HUMA 024 HUMANITIES 3 71
LAWS 150 PROCEDURES & PRO CONDUCT 3 77
LAWS 155 LEGAL DOCUMENT APPLICATIONS 3 91
LAWS 160 BUSINESS LAW (TORT & CONTRACT) 3 78
LAWS 170 CRIMINAL LAW 3 83
COMM 314 BUSINESS WRTG SKLS-LAW CLERK 3 60
LAWS 250 LITIGATION 1 3 68
LAWS 260 REAL ESTATE LAW 3 68
LAWS 265 REAL ESTATE PROCEDURES 3 73
LAWS 270 TRANSCRBNG LEGAL TAPED DICTATN 3 71
LAWS 280 LEGAL RESEARCH 3 80
LAWS 355 LITIGATION PROCEDURES 3 80
LAWS 360 TITLE SEARCHING 3 74
LAWS 370 LEGAL DOCKETS AND RECORDS 3 70
LAWS 380 CORPORATE LAW 4 91
LAWS 390 LITIGATION 2 3 77
POLS 023 WAR AND TERRORISM 3 66
LAWS 450 DEBTOR OR CREDITOR 3 79
LAWS 460 FAMILY LAW 3 78
LAWS 465 FAMILY LAW PROCEDURES 3 80
LAWS 470 ESTATES 4 82
LAWS 488 FIELD PRACTICUM 3 SAT (SATISFIED)
PHIL 027 BUSINESS ETHICS 3 91
COMM 1007 COLLEGE ENGLISH 3 A-
COMP 1082 COMPUTER SKILLS & APPLICATIONS 0 P (PASSED)

I think you could possibly have those other courses evaluated for credit, as well as any experiential learning you may have if you can have somebody verify what they consisted of!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Degree planning help - UMPI BBA vs PUG BSBA crowbird 31 414 17 minutes ago
Last Post: ss20ts
  Educational Degree Planning Help nhmimi 0 27 2 hours ago
Last Post: nhmimi
  Potential Degree Input, Please curious 4 130 Today, 06:39 AM
Last Post: curious
  Degree Planning- MS degree dodek101 7 271 Yesterday, 12:01 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  DBA degree: online, 2-3 years, top US or UK school, accredited absamer 22 1,471 03-26-2024, 11:54 PM
  Degree Planning Advice - 31, Norway, No Higher Education ASenna 28 1,850 03-26-2024, 06:00 AM
  Masters Degree in Texas Melhux 3 174 03-26-2024, 05:45 AM
  Almost 40 year old with foreign BA in English degree and Santa Monica College Cert KMcLean 12 951 03-25-2024, 08:12 PM
  IT Degree Options Advice theredwallflower 4 560 03-23-2024, 11:08 AM
Last Post: theredwallflower
  Metropolia for quick bachelor's degree to get in a master's program klicer 5 285 03-21-2024, 01:44 AM
Last Post: klicer