Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New here (first CLEP ?)
Kelley Wrote:She will be going to a b&m college but I have already spoken to the advisors at the school she wants to attend and gotten their guidelines so we know which CLEP tests to take. That took quite a bit of work to get to the right person but worth the advise! They will allow any CLEPs that they have on a list that the have assigned a course equivalent to as long as it is in her degree plan. For her this will mean that she can test out of about 38 credits with 10 tests.

What B&M school will she be attending?
My Excelsior Journey
Bachelor of Science in General Business, cum laude
Excelsior College
LatinTea Wrote:Good to get to know you, Jennifer. Thanks for writing! It's helpful to have an encouraging hs mom; I mostly get looks like, 'are you nuts?'. My son, Riley, is, on the other hand, ready to get started.

Glad to hear that the books I have will work. The idea about building your curriculum around your students is exactly what I will be doing my son's senior year. He already has enough credits to graduate and I really wanted something cool to do, like British Lit with British History (yes, my son loves that stuff), but then found this route. I will take the main groups of tests (history, english, maybe math) and count it all under that one heading. It will just highlight that we have topped it all off with 'testing'. You know how they (the state authorities) love to know that you have 'tested'. It just brings smiles to their faces. Wink

So far, here's the plan. Take US History II first. and use the REA book and IC. That will give him a good start. Then, take Analyzing Lit and US History I later. Also, good to know how to study for that one! I probably have some books around the house too that will work.

I read about the Sociology test last night and didn't think that was where we needed to be right now. It kinda looks a bit too much at this point. Thanks for the suggestion, though, to whoever it was, I will keep it in mind for a later test.

As for the SAT, I had thought about doing this, but around here (in MN) it's just hardly ever done. The ACT rules, as they say. And since he's not going into a b&m college, I figured why stress him out needlessly. But I will think more about it. He is set to retake the ACT in June to get a few more points, which I know he is capable of. It's funny, it was his first big test outside of the home and he did pretty well. He does well with algebra and geometry; it's just the time factor with the ACT. He ended up having to guess on a few math questions because of the time limitations. So, we'll probably start with the College Math CLEP first!

As for the foreign language one, we are going to attempt French this coming year, after 4 years of Latin. Wish they had a CLEP for Latin, but I guess there wouldn't be very many takers. Smile

Yes, that DL book is a good one. Got me started on all this stuff. One of the people in there is a friend and currently a missionary. Her name is Heidi Caasi. Maybe you can give that info to your children and see if they can find her!

Did you ever check into CollegePlus? It's Brad Voeller's extension of his book. You probably know about it. We applied, but the cost is holding me back.

BTW, I am considering giving this all a go myself too! I have 18 credits from my previous life, B.H. (before homeschooling), but I am now almost 49 years old and this all looks terribly daunting. I keep telling myself that if I learned Latin, I can learn anything! I'm so impressed that you have pursued your dreams. Maybe we can PM more about this sometime.

I'm so excited to be on this board!

Have a great day,
Margo

Margo,
Great questions. I too , like Jennifer am a homeschooling mom. I wrote an essay for College Plus for their coaching f(or myself at 41 )and didn't win the scholarship. However, I have recently learned YOU DO NOT NEED THEM AT ALL. People like Jennifer, GettingmyBA and all the great I/C posting students will guide you through the process and keep you motivated. I started TESC needing 40 credits in Sept. and lookng at 2 years to grad, I am still homeschooling 6 of my kids and very active in all aspects of our community. I will be done by July- only taking 36 weeks to finish. I/C is GREAT to learn all there is to know about getting it done as efficiently as possible. There are ways you can grad. without ever really attending any online classes. Testing is a great venue. These I/C students are so helpful.
Jennifer's suggestion about gearing education around testing is fantsatic. I have a dear friend who is an attorney and a homeschooling mom who does just that. Her kids have earned numerous scholarships this way.
Glad to meet you,
dmdean
PS
Someone told me recently that we shouldn't use our names on these forums because we are allowing ourselves the possibility of being 'googled'.
dmdean Wrote:PS
Someone told me recently that we shouldn't use our names on these forums because we are allowing ourselves the possibility of being 'googled'.

Rolleyes Uhhhh, that would be me. Jennifer's heard me on this topic too. I just hear about so many people who regret having put their names on things online because now they are all over google. Employers are (more & more every day) using google to research job candidates. There aren't too many people with my firstname around.
M-e-r-r-i-c-k
(hahahah - let that show up in google!)
You can't fail if you never give up
[COLOR="blue"]- Some ridiculous Zach Braff movie, but what a cool quote!!

I'm the king of procrastination. I first submitted my app to TESC in 1993. THIS will be the year of my degree completion![/COLOR]

PASSED:
CLEP-Information Systems & Computer Applications: Scored 62; Nov 07
CLEP-Analyzing & Interpreting Literature: Scored 57; Feb 08
DANTES-Criminal Justice: Scored 54; Jan 08
DANTES-Fundamentals of College Algebra: Scored 47 (and 47 is the req'd pass score! :eek: ); Jan 08
DANTES-Drug & Alcohol Abuse: Scored 57; Feb 08
DANTES-Ethics in America: Scored 55; Feb 08
DANTES-Organizational Behavior: Score 54; Mar 08
DANTES-Technical Writing: Score 58; Mar 08

FELL SHORT OF A PASSING SCORE (I'll never say the 'F' word):
ECE-Organizational Behavior: Score D (but passed DANTES version 2 hours later! Big Grin )
Quote:What B&M school will she be attending?
She will be going to Liberty University in Virginia. I have also looked into MD community colleges.

Quote:Kelley, did you start taking the tests? If so, which one did you do first?
Yes, I have about 24 credits from years ago and just started taking CLEPS. I started with Sociology and Human Growth & Development on the same day and passed them both with about 2-3 weeks of studying. I found a couple of college text books at a thrift store for a $1 each so I used those to study but I found that I learned a lot more from IC and Peterson's practice tests then from the text books. The most important thing I have learned is to study broad so that I could identify the correct answer. Also planning around the specific exam feedback has proved to be invaluable. I am creating study books for my daughter now for the 10 CLEPS that she is going to take so that she will be focused on on track. I also think it is kind of fun to put the books together based on her learning style. I will have to adapt them some if my younger one decides to go this route but it is still proving to be good resource.

Margo, I say go for it! Just drive in and take the test. One thought I was thinking for us is to take the tests back to back so that we could talk right before on of us goes in for last minute pointers...just a thought.

Can't wait to hear the results!
~Kelley

Clep's Passed :p
[SIZE="1"][COLOR="DarkOrchid"][SIZE="2"]Sociology (57)
Human Growth & Development (60)[/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE]
Margo,

See, Kelly took Analyzing and Interpreting Lit. I took it, and Danielle took it. We are busy homeschool moms too! Here is some motivation for you- since you are not enrolled in college, no one knows your score :o) It's totally private! If you pass (score of 50) you have 20 years to decide if or when you want to use the credit. If you fail- so what? No one knows, it's between you and the blue screen. You don't even have to tell us that you registered Cool

Now....if you pass....that's a whole 'nother issue. Because if you can pass one, you can surely pass just one more.....
Well, I registered my son for the Analyzing Lit test on April 11th. I am considering adding my name as well.....but I'm chicken. I could use some encouragement, that's for sure.

Kelley, did you start taking the tests? If so, which one did you do first?

Thanks,
Margo
Margo,
I just took the A & I Lit test last week, it was my first test and I haven't had lit. for 2 decades ( boy that sounds long.) I passed with a little studying and great motivators. YOu SHOULD DEFINITELY GO FOR IT. It is very doable read the exam specific feedback. We are cheering you on.

Danielle
Clep
A & I Lit. ( 6 cr.) 65 Smile Mar., 08 Yeah!!
Humanities (6 cr) 58 Apr., 08
Natural Science (6 cr) 52 (whew)Aug 08
One Clep to go until I graduate!!!!!!hilarious
I haven't picked up the phone to add my name yet, but I'm almost there. Smile

Also, talked with the CollegePlus people again and just don't have peace about spending all that money for something, frankly, I think I can figure out. My son wants an English degree. Well, that looks fairly straightforward, and I like to research things, so my role can now be a bit different, but still helpful for his end goals.

Margo
Go for it, Margo. You won't be sorry. I am glad you know you won't need College Plus. They can't add to what you will get at the I/c forum. ask alot of questions, read the posts. It is fantastic! and the advice is free.
Clep
A & I Lit. ( 6 cr.) 65 Smile Mar., 08 Yeah!!
Humanities (6 cr) 58 Apr., 08
Natural Science (6 cr) 52 (whew)Aug 08
One Clep to go until I graduate!!!!!!hilarious
Hi LatinTea! Welcome to the board =]

Having graduated from a b&m university, I just have a few suggestions to add on to what everyone else has said. In addition to schools accepting or not accepting CLEPs, the amount of credits they accept (from both AP and CLEPs) varies. Therefore, you don't want to take more than allowed. I would suggest that you and your son decide which schools you guys are interested in applying before taking any exams. It would probably be more time-efficient if you worked your schedule around the schools' policies. It'll also help you narrow down which exams to take.

Also, if your son wants to do masters after attending a b&m university, I suggest taking CLEPs/AP exams to fulfill only "general education" requirements, but not requirements for your son's major. Masters programs tend to prefer that a student fulfill their major requirements with b&m classes if they attended a b&m university.

Hope everything works out with you and your son! =]
Jenny =]
Blue Wrote:Having graduated from a b&m university, I just have a few suggestions to add on to what everyone else has said. In addition to schools accepting or not accepting CLEPs, the amount of credits they accept (from both AP and CLEPs) varies. Therefore, you don't want to take more than allowed. I would suggest that you and your son decide which schools you guys are interested in applying before taking any exams. It would probably be more time-efficient if you worked your schedule around the schools' policies. It'll also help you narrow down which exams to take.

Also, if your son wants to do masters after attending a b&m university, I suggest taking CLEPs/AP exams to fulfill only "general education" requirements, but not requirements for your son's major. Masters programs tend to prefer that a student fulfill their major requirements with b&m classes if they attended a b&m university.

Hope everything works out with you and your son! =]

I think maybe I didn't state exactly what we are thinking of doing. My son wants to avoid the high tuition costs and 4-5 years of b&m college to get a bachelor's. He will do all this part at home and then proceed to a college for his masters. That way, he still gets that experience, but doesn't spend so much time there. He will bypass the usual route and obtain the 1st degree by testing and a few online classes.

I know I'll feel better about this after he gets that first passing test. I will then have something to show to say that this will work. Right now, I'm really thankful for this forum!

Me (I googled myself and didn't find anything. Does that mean I don't exist?)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  AP, CLEP, IB, vs others - Comparison/Example bjcheung77 0 514 08-11-2023, 12:12 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  AP, CLEP, etc - Credit Banking on Credly bjcheung77 2 1,856 09-02-2022, 12:16 PM
Last Post: vintage_jacket
  combine CLEP & ACTFL? defmo 5 859 08-05-2022, 08:58 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  English 2 CLEP Jennr2z 6 1,328 05-25-2022, 10:02 AM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Prep for College Composition with Essay CLEP ? abs_co 3 1,651 11-11-2021, 07:39 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
Big Grin CLEP US HISTORY II Advice basol007 2 1,287 03-14-2021, 02:14 PM
Last Post: basol007
  need to find credits by testing like Clep - but Clep is not available where I live - esh 3 1,241 01-31-2021, 07:49 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Study material Clep English composition modular Collegelady2 16 4,170 08-18-2020, 10:20 PM
Last Post: mrskitty
  Which degrees accept the most CLEP type tests? Sorbik 5 2,347 08-01-2020, 08:27 AM
Last Post: nomaduser
  English Comp 2 exam option? CLEP's closed yokopilar 4 2,093 05-06-2020, 09:17 AM
Last Post: yokopilar