Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New to CLEP, testing out, etc -- Need help on Degree Plan for COSC --- THANK YOU!
Hi!

I am new to this way of obtaining credit but I am so ready to complete my bachelors this way!! I have researched and decided on COSC. I already have an AGS (Associates of General Studies) from my community college, and I am wanting to get either the Psych or Business degree from COSC. I called COSC and they said I need to apply and register so they can help me complete my degree plan, but I don't want to pay their fees each semester because I will be using alternate ways to get credit. I want to wait until I am finished with my credits and just have to take their cornerstone & capstone courses before I register.

So, what I am looking for is help on deciding what degree would be faster/easier for me to obtain by alternate means and then how do I know what tests/classes are better than others in getting the credits. Also, I have been reading the forums and I see CSU come up as an alternative. What is CSU?

Any advice is surely welcomed and much appreciated as I have no experience and know no one experienced with this type of degree completion.

THANK YOU!!!!
What was the decision to go with COSC based on? It's not a bad choice, it's all personal preference. It's just not as popular lately around here, especially if you decide on a business degree, since TESU is slightly cheaper and a lot easier to finish up than COSC.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
By the way, it'd be helpful if you could post all of the credits you've obtained already, course names, how many credits they were worth, and if they were quarter or semester hours (and if any of the courses were a grade less than C, please indicate what the grade was).

Quote:What is CSU?

You're probably seeing CSU Global, they have credit-by-exam options: https://csuglobal.edu/admissions/transfe...t-exam-cbe

Georgia Tech

BA Psychology, 2016

BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

You figure out which major and which school first. Then you start looking for tests and ACE credits to fulfill the requirements. There are many credit sources; CLEP, DSST, UExcel, TECEP, Straighterline, Study.com, ALEKS, etc... At COSU you may also use some free FEMA credits.
Credit Sources:
Guilford Technical Community College (59)
U.S Army Training
ALEKS
Study.com
Straighterline
Shmoop
DSST
UExcel
jsd Wrote:What was the decision to go with COSC based on? It's not a bad choice, it's all personal preference. It's just not as popular lately around here, especially if you decide on a business degree, since TESU is slightly cheaper and a lot easier to finish up than COSC.

If she's anything like me she read the (apparently outdated) beginners page on the wiki which sings the praises of COSC as easiest to transfer. I picked COSC from that until I ended up talking to people on here.
jsd Wrote:What was the decision to go with COSC based on? It's not a bad choice, it's all personal preference. It's just not as popular lately around here, especially if you decide on a business degree, since TESU is slightly cheaper and a lot easier to finish up than COSC.

Well, honestly, I started researching the top 3 last year, decided on COSC and then the holidays came and I haven't looked at anything since October, and I can't remember exactly why I chose them. It was based on hours of research from multiples sites, including this forum, and it seemed the best for me, from what I read. Where do you suggest I research from if you think that decision isn't the best?
[SIZE=2][SIZE=1]Community College 2010 - Associates of General Studies
78 Credits

Intro to Business (3), Intro to Psych (3), Speech (3), Business Law I (3), Computer Info Systems (4), Microsoft Office (3), English I (3), Business Math (3), Fundamentals of Networking (2), Consumer Economics (3), Physical Geography with lab (4), Spanish I (4), Database Mgmt (3), E Commerce (2), Web Design (1), Graphic Design (3), A+ PC Troubleshooting (4), Intro to Sociology (3), English II (3), Visual Arts (3), Film Study (3), Social Psych (3), Comparative Religion (3), Math for General Education (3), Biology Human Heredity (3), Psych of Adolescent Development (3)
CLEP: Working on Modern States currently
ALEKS: College Algebra (3)
Free courses: The Institutes Ethics (2)

Still determining COSC or TESU based on what classes I've taken so far will transfer better
[/SIZE][/SIZE]
[quote=jsd]By the way, it'd be helpful if you could post all of the credits you've obtained already, course names, how many credits they were worth, and if they were quarter or semester hours (and if any of the courses were a grade less than C, please indicate what the grade was).

All from my community college - Associate of General Studies
Intro to Business - 3 credits
General Psych - 3
Speech - 3
Business Law I - 3
Computer Info Systems - 4
Microsoft Office - 3
English I - 3
Business Math - 3
Fundamentals of Networking - 2
Consumer Economics - 3
Physical Geography - 4
Spanish I - 4
Database Mgmt - 3
E Commerce - 2
Web Design - 1
Graphic Design - 3
A+ PC Troubleshooting - 4
Intro to Sociology - 3
English II - 3
Visual Arts - 3
Film Study - 3
Social Psych - 3
Comparative Religion - 3
General Math - 3
Biology Human Heredity - 3
Psych of Adolescent Development - 3

C was my lowest grade, no D's.
[SIZE=2][SIZE=1]Community College 2010 - Associates of General Studies
78 Credits

Intro to Business (3), Intro to Psych (3), Speech (3), Business Law I (3), Computer Info Systems (4), Microsoft Office (3), English I (3), Business Math (3), Fundamentals of Networking (2), Consumer Economics (3), Physical Geography with lab (4), Spanish I (4), Database Mgmt (3), E Commerce (2), Web Design (1), Graphic Design (3), A+ PC Troubleshooting (4), Intro to Sociology (3), English II (3), Visual Arts (3), Film Study (3), Social Psych (3), Comparative Religion (3), Math for General Education (3), Biology Human Heredity (3), Psych of Adolescent Development (3)
CLEP: Working on Modern States currently
ALEKS: College Algebra (3)
Free courses: The Institutes Ethics (2)

Still determining COSC or TESU based on what classes I've taken so far will transfer better
[/SIZE][/SIZE]
SaebScholar Wrote:If she's anything like me she read the (apparently outdated) beginners page on the wiki which sings the praises of COSC as easiest to transfer. I picked COSC from that until I ended up talking to people on here.

COSC may be a better option for some people, depending on what kinds of transfer credits they have.

Yes, the Beginner's Page is outdated, but a lot of what's on here is outdated after a few months, and there's just nothing we can do about that; things change constantly. But we also have said many times to people that they just need to read it to get started, and then continue reading through the forum for a month or two to really start to understand what is going on. It's the best advice at this point - nothing is perfect.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
SaebScholar Wrote:If she's anything like me she read the (apparently outdated) beginners page on the wiki which sings the praises of COSC as easiest to transfer. I picked COSC from that until I ended up talking to people on here.

Out of curiosity, can you link me to the COSC praise? I thought the wiki was mostly neutral

Georgia Tech

BA Psychology, 2016

BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

jsch Wrote:Well, honestly, I started researching the top 3 last year, decided on COSC and then the holidays came and I haven't looked at anything since October, and I can't remember exactly why I chose them. It was based on hours of research from multiples sites, including this forum, and it seemed the best for me, from what I read. Where do you suggest I research from if you think that decision isn't the best?

This forum is the best place to research.

TESU and COSC are comparable in pricing, with a slight edge to TESU. But due to COSC's higher UL credit requirement (30 upper level credits through out the degree), it generally makes TESU a lot easier/quicker to do. TESU only requires 18 UL in your area of study, 3 of which will be satisfied by your capstone. And TESU is much more generous about awarding UL credit for things not recommended as UL.

If you're doing a business major, you'll be able to test out of 100% of your courses at TESU, even the capstone. At COSC you'll be required to take both a cornerstone and a capstone course with them, which will both take quite a bit of time.

That being said, as dfrecore stated there are some situations where people have a weird mix of credits that would fast track them or fit better at COSC or EC. Judging by your list, it's pretty standard general ed stuff, so it doesn't look like you're one of those folks who would be better served by COSC.

But again, it's still personal preference. There's no wrong school to go to. The right one for you is the one you will finish at.

(on a vanity note, I like the "university" title better than "college" :p )

Georgia Tech

BA Psychology, 2016

BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

[-] The following 1 user Likes jsd's post:
  • slmartin

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  BALS COSC vs TESU AJ_Atlanta 7 4,014 09-22-2018, 11:22 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  What do i Do if an application asks for GPA with a degree from the Big 3? Crt 5 3,233 09-19-2018, 08:54 AM
Last Post: Johmford
  Transfer Credit towards degree @ TESU Supermind 2 2,875 09-14-2018, 03:30 PM
  Help with figuring out TESU History Degree plan AJay5595 10 3,367 09-06-2018, 10:56 AM
Last Post: BAngieB
  Associates degree in Business - Options? allen3373 9 2,686 09-04-2018, 02:57 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  My Technical Studies Degree Plan SRES 17 4,902 08-31-2018, 12:23 AM
  BSBA in Finance Degree Plan from TESU UnbreakablyDetermined 2 2,788 08-30-2018, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Luiscastaneda25
  Charter Oak (COSC) maximum credits from one source nosey561 1 1,697 08-30-2018, 10:39 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Has anyone been overlooked for a degree Crt 21 5,038 08-29-2018, 12:06 PM
Last Post: jsd
  Advice on Choosing a Degree Program UnbreakablyDetermined 3 1,977 08-26-2018, 08:06 PM