Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New to UMPI - PLS HELP!!
(05-26-2023, 01:54 PM)origamishuttle Wrote:
(05-26-2023, 12:51 PM)DolceDolce Wrote: My question is how do I know which courses I can CLEP out of at UMPI

There is a CLEP list here: clep-exams-accepted-for-cbe-credit.pdf (umpi.edu) and here: University of Maine at Presque Isle - CLEP College Credit Policy (collegeboard.org) I'm not sure if they're precisely up to date or in agreement, though.

In case you're not aware, CLEP is free through Modern States.

(05-26-2023, 12:51 PM)DolceDolce Wrote: can I transfer in Sophia courses as I go?

Yes, you can transfer as you go, with permission from your advisor, which almost certainly will be granted. However, it's generally best to complete everything beforehand so that you can focus on UMPI work while you're on the tuition clock.
How come the UMPI says all credits can be transferred, but I'm seeing posts that only 90 can be transferred.  I'm going to be putting my business on hold, so with that, how fast can someone without other obligations complete the remaining amount above 90?   Thank you for you help!

(05-26-2023, 02:03 PM)ss20ts Wrote:
(05-26-2023, 12:51 PM)DolceDolce Wrote: Hello, I'm new to the forum, and don't know how to do a new post in this exact area.  My question is how do I know which courses I can CLEP out of at UMPI; and, can I transfer in Sophia courses as I go?

Yes you can take CLEP exams. They're not a piece of cake for everyone as the online proctoring is a nightmare. The in person testing sites haven't all reopened since Covid. Who knows if they ever will at this point? I know locally most of them haven't reopened so I'm thinking they won't. 

This link shows you which CLEP transfers in for the GEC and the business courses.

https://www.umpi.edu/wp-content/uploads/...credit.pdf

This link shows you all of the CLEP exams UMPI accepts, the minimum score needed, and what it transfers in as.

https://mycampus.maine.edu/c/document_li...pId=223854

You can use Sophia to fulfill almost the entire GEC and a few business courses. UMPI has allowed additional transfer credit in the past. You needed to email your academic advisor to let them know you are taking the course and get their permission to transfer it in when you're complete.

This link shows you which Sophia courses can be utilized to fulfill the GEC.

https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...hia--43586
Thank you so much for your detailed information - it will help me as I go through this over, as I jut now found out about UMPI, after all kinds of research and application to another school.

(05-26-2023, 02:03 PM)ss20ts Wrote:
(05-26-2023, 12:51 PM)DolceDolce Wrote: Hello, I'm new to the forum, and don't know how to do a new post in this exact area.  My question is how do I know which courses I can CLEP out of at UMPI; and, can I transfer in Sophia courses as I go?

Yes you can take CLEP exams. They're not a piece of cake for everyone as the online proctoring is a nightmare. The in person testing sites haven't all reopened since Covid. Who knows if they ever will at this point? I know locally most of them haven't reopened so I'm thinking they won't. 

This link shows you which CLEP transfers in for the GEC and the business courses.

This link shows you all of the CLEP exams UMPI accepts, the minimum score needed, and what it transfers in as.

https://mycampus.maine.edu/c/document_li...pId=223854

You can use Sophia to fulfill almost the entire GEC and a few business courses. UMPI has allowed additional transfer credit in the past. You needed to email your academic advisor to let them know you are taking the course and get their permission to transfer it in when you're complete.

This link shows you which Sophia courses can be utilized to fulfill the GEC.

https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...hia--43586
I see you earned your MBA, that is my next step after UMPI.  Did you have to keep your grades above 80%, and if so, do you have any tips on how to do that at UMPI?  I've been out of school for a long time, so looking for some tips. Thank you!
(05-26-2023, 08:17 PM)DolceDolce Wrote: on the tuition clock.
How come the UMPI says all credits can be transferred, but I'm seeing posts that only 90 can be transferred.  I'm going to be putting my business on hold, so with that, how fast can someone without other obligations complete the remaining amount above 90?   Thank you for you help!

I see you earned your MBA, that is my next step after UMPI.  Did you have to keep your grades above 80%, and if so, do you have any tips on how to do that at UMPI?  I've been out of school for a long time, so looking for some tips. Thank you!

You can transfer 5000 credits to UMPI but only 90 will apply to your bachelor's degree. They require you to complete a minimum of 30 credits at UMPI. 

I had a 4.0 for my first UMPI degree and a 3.949 for my second UMPI degree. I studied a great deal and submitted Rough Drafts for my papers and projects so I could make changes based on the professor feedback. 

Most grad programs will require you to have a 3.0 or higher GPA for admissions. Many grad programs have higher minimum GPA requirements. Usually you also have to maintain a minimum GPA in grad school as well. The university I completed my MBA at required grad students to have a 3.0 or higher to remain in the grad school. It takes work. It's not easy. I gave up many things so I could study and earn good grades. I focused on school like it was my job.
(04-12-2023, 05:08 PM)acethroughcollege Wrote:
(04-12-2023, 03:39 PM)natureluv Wrote: Hey everyone!

New to UMPI and will be starting soon but I'm super confused on a few things. Sent some emails but didn't get any answers so far. Been a few weeks and am panicking, pls help!

1) What are the General Education (GenEd) requirements for the YourPace/online only UMPI programs? Is it the same for all majors?

When applying someone sent me a list that says ALL YOURPACE students but it shows codes Mat 140 Math for Business One of the following: Geo 100, Soc 100 IS MAT 140 REQUIRED FOR EVERYONE IN YOURPACE? Super nervous haven't done math for years. Tysm guys!  Where do you find GLO2A, GLO3B etc. that's on the forums and which courses fit in each? Can't find this list anywhere and I'm nervous my courses won't match the right category. Thx! I was told the UMPI website ones aren't yourpace.

2) If I take courses from Sophia/Study.com etc. how would it look on my UMPI transcript? Does the grade appear?

3) How do you calculate GPA? E.g. what grades/% are an A+, A, A-, etc. and the values for each e.g. 90-95% = A = 4.0 etc. Thx!

4) Which classes are offered each term for YourPace? When applying the girl said all  req. are available each term for YourPace but I can't find a list of these online anywhere. Pls help!

MAT 140 is easy. I am no math whiz, and it was even easy for me. By far, the hardest formula in the course is the quadratic equation.

Do you remember how much you paid for CLEP testing, or where you got any discounts?
CLEP exams are free through ModernStates.org
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
The process for finding which CLEPs meet which learning objective is as follows:

1. Get the course number of the CLEP exam you want to take

2. Match that course number to the General Ed Requirements
http://catalog.umpi.edu/content.php?catoid=3&navoid=118
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
(05-29-2023, 09:09 PM)DolceDolce Wrote: Do you remember how much you paid for CLEP testing, or where you got any discounts?

I took the following CLEP tests and UMPI gave me credit as follows:
Analyzing & Interpretation of Literature (UMPI Course Equiv: ENG151 - 3 cr)
American Government (UMPI Course Equiv: POS101 - 3 cr) - This class is also now offered on Sophia.
Spanish Language Levels 1 & 2 (UMPI Course Equiv: SPA101 & 102 - 6 cr) - I only recommend this test for those that have taken a lot of previous Spanish courses, or are fluent.

I took the course on Modern States and got the free voucher to take Analyzing and Interpreting Literature CLEP.  They even reimbursed me for the $25 test sitting fee that my local community college charges, so that was 3 credits for FREE.
For American Government and Spanish tests, I took advantage of the promo that College Board was running at the time "buy one test for $90, get the second at half price, $45."  I think they run these promos from time to time.  So, this was 9 credits for $185 (including sitting fees, about $20.50 per credit).  This was totally worth it for me. 

There is another section here on Degree Forum with a ton of great advice for studying.  I highly recommend reading the posts there.  I love the Peterson's CLEP practice tests.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New considering UMPI but…. manyoptions4me 48 4,417 2 hours ago
Last Post: bjcheung77
  choosing between UMPI BBA in management&leadership vs project management whereismyramen 6 164 03-26-2024, 04:13 PM
  What is considered FT at UMPI YourPace for the Pell Grant? RachelB 3 157 03-26-2024, 05:50 AM
  Help with UMPI admissions requirement Throwmeaway1590 2 213 03-25-2024, 08:24 PM
  Sophia's Human biology and lab did not meet UMPi's BIO 105 HappyPeanut 9 845 03-22-2024, 07:53 PM
Last Post: lifted567
  UMPI BLS Minor Business theea 5 264 03-20-2024, 02:41 PM
  UMPI Class Review Master Thread RbxFunRocks 95 56,416 03-20-2024, 03:37 AM
Last Post: theea
  HELP! SDC to UMPI transfer jrock87 3 198 03-16-2024, 12:14 AM
Last Post: jrock87
  UL Courses Outside of UMPI - Fast CCCollege 7 935 03-11-2024, 10:46 AM
  AI in UMPI him22 16 1,253 03-09-2024, 04:41 PM
Last Post: Ares