Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
No experience at all!
Hello to everyone in this forum!
I am from good old Europe leaving and working out of my home country. I plan to study at the Charter Oak State College in the near future. Due to passed sudies back home, I can transfer a "good" number of credits to the Charter Oak State College. Now I am a little bit concerned about the online tests which I will have to do! We never had multiple choise tests or something similar to that. How long to you study before starting a test? Is it possible to pass for persons who are not native English speaking persons? How do you prepare for exams? Are there some tests to practice in the web? I am looking forward to receive help from you!

michael
Hi Michael, there's no simple answer that fits all of the tests. What I reccomend is that you get the official Collegeboard study guide for one of the tests you want to take. It will include 50 sample questions that'll give you a good idea of what the actual test is like.

The best thing to do really would be to choose one of the "easier" tests, study for it, and try taking the test. I'm confident that you'll find that a passing score is very achievable. We've had plenty of membes for whom English was not their first language, who've successfully passed many clep tests.

Good luck!
--
Steve
Webmaster, InstantCert.com
Welcome to the forums. May I ask what your native language is? There is the New York Language Proficiency Exam. You can earn up to 16 credits in a multitude of languages. If you native language is one of them on the list, it might be worth checking out. I believe it does run around $310 though.
[SIZE="1"]CLEP exams passed:
Management, Accounting, Marketing, Macroeconomics, Microeconomics

DSST exams passed:
Human Resources Management, Organizational Behavior, Statistics, Management Information Systems

Earned:
B.A. in Business Administration: Technology Management from Saint Leo University

M.S. in Leadership: Business Ethics from Duquesne University [/SIZE]
My native language is German! Is it possible to do this exam you mention by distance learning program? Best regards - M.
Keep in mind, I have not utilized the New York Language Proficiency Exam. How I understand it though, you arrange for the test to be proctored. The exam is sent to whereever you are, so long as you have an approved proctor already set up to take it. I'm not sure of the specific requirements. The website is at:

NYU SCPS | Foreign Languages, Translation, and Interpreting | Course Listing

This may help answer some of your questions concerning off-site testing:

http://www.northshore.edu/spotlight/cas/..._exams.pdf

Keep in mind of an alternative. There is a CLEP German that is worth 12 credits with a score of 63 or higher. Its only worth 6 credits if you score between a 50 and 62. The price of the CLEP German is $80.

From what I have heard, the CLEP appears to be easier than the New York exam. If you are concerned with price I'd suggest taking the CLEP. If you want those 4 upper level German credits go with the New York exam.
[SIZE="1"]CLEP exams passed:
Management, Accounting, Marketing, Macroeconomics, Microeconomics

DSST exams passed:
Human Resources Management, Organizational Behavior, Statistics, Management Information Systems

Earned:
B.A. in Business Administration: Technology Management from Saint Leo University

M.S. in Leadership: Business Ethics from Duquesne University [/SIZE]
You provided me really good information! ThanX a lot!!! michael
Wait a sec guys! Are you trying to say that one could get COLLEGE CREDIT for being able to speak his own native language?

hilarious

If it is indeed the case then I should waste no more time and try to swiftly rake in 16 points for my native hungarian

hilarious

16 credits! Awesome!!!!

Is this really possible? I mean it sounds too good to be true. Anyone has any experience trying to get credit for being able to speak his/her own native language?

OMG, 16 credits!
Old Rusty Pipe Wrote:Keep in mind of an alternative. There is a CLEP German that is worth 12 credits with a score of 63 or higher. Its only worth 6 credits if you score between a 50 and 62. The price of the CLEP German is $80.

From what I have heard, the CLEP appears to be easier than the New York exam. If you are concerned with price I'd suggest taking the CLEP. If you want those 4 upper level German credits go with the New York exam.

I don't believe you are allowed to take CLEP Exams in Germany unless you have a US Military ID.

Overview - College-Level Examination Program (CLEP) Testing - Central Texas College Europe
Quote:Central Texas College Europe is proud to present the National Test Center at Coleman Barracks in Mannheim, Germany.
  • All 35 CLEP exams available via computer
  • Open to all Uniformed Services I.D. card holders
  • Immediate Score Reports (except for "English Composition with Essay")
Well - depending on your language skills it can be that easy. You need to have a fluent command of both the written and the spoken language. I took the 16-credit exam through NYU and the 12 credit Clep (different language). There is no question the clep is easier. The NYU exam tests both your skills in the language as well as your ability to go back and forth between English and your language. In other words, you need to respond to English scenarios in your target language and be able to write essays in your language and I believe you have to translate passages. The prize is 16 credits, including four upper level credits so it's well worth it. Good luck!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Anyone with experience/knowledge on army medic to civilian LVN pathway? studyingfortests 4 434 12-16-2023, 09:36 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Capella - Virginia LPC Experience Rweber 0 312 09-26-2023, 01:19 PM
Last Post: Rweber
  Life Experience degree from the Mexican Government itself elcastor21 6 615 09-13-2023, 09:42 PM
Last Post: elcastor21
  UMass Global / Brandman myPath Application and Transfer Experience? origamishuttle 8 2,041 01-27-2022, 05:47 AM
Last Post: origamishuttle
  Can anyone share their experience with Tel Learning courses? ctcarl 31 6,622 03-04-2021, 11:30 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Any Experience with Principles of finance ECE, Quantitative analysis ECE? elikugel 1 1,005 12-17-2018, 07:34 PM
Last Post: Devin1118
  Portland-area experience with Public Speaking DSST? greencouch 1 1,202 03-19-2018, 08:24 AM
Last Post: Britjess
  Attempting CLEP (No experience) makemeraf 13 3,683 02-22-2018, 09:47 PM
Last Post: cardiacclep
  Anyone have experience with the Western Civ Petersons exams? zapproximator 1 1,398 01-12-2018, 05:44 PM
Last Post: clep3705
  Anatomy and Physiology experience 2L8 13 5,612 01-05-2018, 09:29 PM
Last Post: cookderosa