Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Northern Arizona University?
(09-23-2019, 06:13 PM)sanantone Wrote: For the data analytics and cybersecurity programs, they provide alternatives that you have to spend money on and have to have completed within the last five years. What difference does it make if someone has a degree in one of those fields or a BS in another field plus an undergraduate/post-baccalaureate certificate or equivalent credits? There is no difference. It's a poorly thought out requirement. 

I would like to know which certification would demonstrate that someone is prepared to complete an MS in CS. Is there a certification that requires you to know calculus and discrete math?

I don't understand what you're saying about WGU's masters in data analytics. 
What exactly is the "poorly thought out requirement"? 
The fact that they want someone to complete Udacity's nanaodegree in Data Analysis to prove knowledge in statistics and programming ? 
or a SAS programming certificate ? $180 
or a Oracle SQL certificate ? $245  

someone could have a BS in Criminal Justice and then for less than the cost of one 3 credit upper level course at a private university complete both the SAS and Oracle exam and prove they have the stats knowledge, programming knowledge and database knowledge to succeed in the MS program 
AND get credit for those certificates 

as for admission into a MS in CS program ...
as far as I can tell this is the only school to offer an ABET accredited MS in CS and they don't require a BS in CS  (but say students without one will have take some undergrad course work)    
https://catalog.louisville.edu/graduate/...ence/#text

the university of chicago has an MS in CS that only requires programming and math experience (the programming experience can be from courses or from work experience)   
https://masters.cs.uchicago.edu/page/pro...requisites

WGU could simply make Calculus an admission requirement for their MS in CS just as they made pre-calc an admission requirement for the BS in CS
[-] The following 1 user Likes bluebooger's post:
  • alab21
(09-23-2019, 11:59 PM)bluebooger Wrote: WGU could simply make Calculus an admission requirement for their MS in CS just as they made pre-calc an admission requirement for the BS in CS

This assumes that Calculus is actually a requirement. We don't know what the requirements are at this point.

From what I'm told this is expected to be a terminal degree for people coming from both the Software Development and Computer Science programs at WGU, and the SD program doesn't have a math entrance requirement nor is Calculus or Discrete Math part of the course curriculum (only Applied Algebra, and that is a GenEd for the BS degree itself). So there may not be a math requirement at all, just a degree and/or experience requirement.

Speaking of, I was just looking at the GATech OMSCS as a point of comparison and they don't list a math requirement either. They prefer BSCS students but will accept folks without a CS degree with sufficient support. This could imply an expectation of higher math, but it isn't a requirement. The math needs probably depend more on the focus of the degree program and it seems like you can build the degree in many different ways based on the course catalog. Likewise, the WGU MSCS may end up with a software development track that isn't math-heavy.

In any case, I think we're getting a bit off-topic here. Maybe we should start a new thread to speculate about the WGU MSCS?
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
(09-23-2019, 11:59 PM)bluebooger Wrote:
(09-23-2019, 06:13 PM)sanantone Wrote: For the data analytics and cybersecurity programs, they provide alternatives that you have to spend money on and have to have completed within the last five years. What difference does it make if someone has a degree in one of those fields or a BS in another field plus an undergraduate/post-baccalaureate certificate or equivalent credits? There is no difference. It's a poorly thought out requirement. 

I would like to know which certification would demonstrate that someone is prepared to complete an MS in CS. Is there a certification that requires you to know calculus and discrete math?

I don't understand what you're saying about WGU's masters in data analytics. 
What exactly is the "poorly thought out requirement"? 
The fact that they want someone to complete Udacity's nanaodegree in Data Analysis to prove knowledge in statistics and programming ? 
or a SAS programming certificate ? $180 
or a Oracle SQL certificate ? $245  

someone could have a BS in Criminal Justice and then for less than the cost of one 3 credit upper level course at a private university complete both the SAS and Oracle exam and prove they have the stats knowledge, programming knowledge and database knowledge to succeed in the MS program 
AND get credit for those certificates 

as for admission into a MS in CS program ...
as far as I can tell this is the only school to offer an ABET accredited MS in CS and they don't require a BS in CS  (but say students without one will have take some undergrad course work)    
https://catalog.louisville.edu/graduate/...ence/#text

the university of chicago has an MS in CS that only requires programming and math experience (the programming experience can be from courses or from work experience)   
https://masters.cs.uchicago.edu/page/pro...requisites

WGU could simply make Calculus an admission requirement for their MS in CS just as they made pre-calc an admission requirement for the BS in CS

Why would someone want to study for, pay for, and spend hours taking a certificate exam if they've already taken stats and programming courses? That's the difference between WGU and most other schools. Most other schools will look at the courses you've already taken and determine if you have equivalent preparation. I've already taken programming, web development, and doctoral-level stats courses. Why should I have to spend months in a nanodegree program offered by an unaccredited organization?
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
(09-23-2019, 04:07 PM)Merlin Wrote:
(09-23-2019, 11:14 AM)ChilliDawg Wrote: Now that I am ready to pull the proverbial trigger on a Masters program, I keep finding myself second guessing whether or not I am investing my money wisely(based on name only).   Concerned about future prospects in IT Management.

I think I am just going to forge ahead with WGU.  I am already rolling on the enrollment process.

Honestly, if you're in IT, the degree is nice but is mostly superfluous to certifications and experience. If you know your stuff, you don't even need a degree to go as far as you want in IT. I know a bunch of people in high-ranking technology management roles who have no degree at all. Everything they have they earned by proving themselves on the job. That said, if you're coming into a new company, the degree will help set you apart from other candidates who don't have the degree, but most hiring managers are more interested in what you have done to understand what you can do, so your resume and/or portfolio is key, with certifications coming in second, followed by degree(s) in a distant third place.

So realistically, it won't really matter where your degree comes from if you have the right stuff on the resume. And if you don't, you probably won't be hired anyway regardless of the degree. The only place where it may matter is if you're in the running for a role where you are neck and neck with someone else with the same experience and certifications. If you have a degree and they don't, or your degree seems more relevant, that could give you a leg up.

Merlin,

Like a few others here, I have been in I.T. for 30 years.  I have experienced and observed what you are saying. I have worked with many non-degreed I.T. workers. I have been very successful in that time with nothing more than experience and standard fare certs(MCSE, MCSA, Server+ Security+, etc.)  I have primarily served as a System Engineer(Active Directory, VMWARE, Nutanix HCI, etc.) for most of that time.  As I have been aging, I have been getting nervous about not having any degree.  That is why I decided to finish up a few Associates and the B.A. from TESU.  I knew that they wouldn't really change much for me, but they do put me at ease a little bit.  They will help me check mark that proverbial box on the application.  Last year, I made the move from Private Sector to government.  There is a HUGE push here for degrees.  It is now a hard requirement for management and Director positions. 

I think that my plan for now is to knock out my first Masters from WGU, then maybe transfer into a local B&M (UNF), and pick up their I.T. Masters, if I get bored later.
Western Governor's University
MSCSIA - Completed 2020.  Program completed in 8 months.
Cybersecurity Scholarship Recipient
Thomas Edison State University
B.A.L.S 2019 
ASNSM - Computer Science - 2018 
Pierpont College
Board of Governor's AAS, AOE Information Systems - 2017

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Apollos University - from show clause to closure details bjcheung77 4 207 7 hours ago
Last Post: bjcheung77
  MBA Student @ Eastern University – AMA klone 15 1,048 Yesterday, 09:18 AM
Last Post: PaperAssistant
  Kairos University Masters in Counseling Wnt2BLPC 3 268 03-23-2024, 11:59 PM
Last Post: Wnt2BLPC
  Robert Cavelier University Journey armstrongsubero 26 1,452 03-19-2024, 05:30 PM
Last Post: eLearner
  Troy University Master's - $250/credit for military PreLawCoastie 11 546 03-11-2024, 12:20 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
Star a JD for JSD: another Northwestern California University School of Law journey thread jsd 31 6,840 03-08-2024, 08:40 PM
Last Post: HogwartsSchool
  Hellenic American University MBA: Overview of $3K RA MBA PrettyFlyforaChiGuy 90 13,966 03-06-2024, 03:28 PM
Last Post: lidel
  Eastern Illinois University. wildebeest 42 6,362 03-04-2024, 09:38 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  University of Illinois - Urbana Champaign MichaelDoesMarketing 35 3,307 03-03-2024, 04:25 PM
Last Post: rayray1000
  MBA from Hellenic American University (HAU) allvia 111 16,296 03-03-2024, 12:58 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy