Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I need help getting into the Military
My 2 cents here:

There is a benefit. Making E-4! You will be above all the new guys before they move up. Otherwise you gotta wait. It called "Time In Rank" ( 6, 12, 18 month, new rank, test etc)

Talk to your recruiter. You can get E3 out of bootcamp. Sign the paper at the recruiter office saying this.

Here is the first site I came up with on google. Im not claiming it is right today!!!! Just a idea....

Navy Enlisted Promotion Chart
I was under the impression that you needed a GED +15 graded credits to be considered E-1 or a high school diploma and 0 college credits. I'm pretty sure CLEPs won't satisfy those 15 credits. I would definitely ask the recruiter about it first.
DonFlamenco Wrote:I just want to do 2 years to qualify for the GI Bill and go to college? doesn't matter if it's infantry or cav scout.

I don't want to sound stuffy, but this is not a great attitude to enter the military with. If the GI Bill is your only motivation, you will likely be very miserable for your time in. Pick out a job that you really want to do, and for the sake of all that is epic do NOT tell them "I don't care, just get me in." That gives them a blank check to stick you in the most undesirable job they have.

I speak from experience; it took me 2 years to climb out of that hole I dug for myself.
[SIZE="1"]BS General Business, March 2010

CLEP College Algebra 51
CLEP Natural Sciences 63
CLEP Social Sciences and History 59
CLEP A&I Lit. 74
CLEP Intro to Sociology 67
CLEP Info Systems and Computer App. 58
CLEP Intro to Psychology 66
CLEP Intro to Business Law 64
CLEP Principles of Management 73
CLEP Principles of Marketing 63
CLEP Principles of Macroeconomics 61
CLEP Principles of Microeconomics 62
DSST Fundamentals of Counseling 49
DSST Principles of Supervision 61
DSST Substance Abuse 441 (Pass)
DSST Business Law II 67
DSST Management Information Systems 436
DSST Principles of Statistics 466
DSST Principles of Finance 435
DSST Civil War and Reconstruction 57
DSST Criminal Justice 431
ECE English Comp C :mad:
ECE World Population A
ECE Ethics, Theory and Practice A
ECE Organizational Behavior A
ECE Human Resource Management B
EC Business Policy B
Straighterline Accounting I B
Straighterline Accounting II B
CSU Pueblo Ops Management A
[/SIZE]
with a GED you will need a 50 on the ASVAB and I would imagine just as the Navy they have a book that you study prior to bootcamp that has all the rules, General orders of Sentry and much more its like a 40 page packet really. After you do that your recruiter will test you and make you enter with an E3 before boot. Master Chief then strips you of that in boot and if your good you get it back. College credits of 15 credits only allows you really to enter with a 30 on the asvab and GED.
Thats the way I remember it atleast. I am sure much hasnt changed. You said something about infantry so I am guessing Army. You will get grunt because this is what the need right now. You need 90 credits to qualify for OTS which doesnt mean your automatically a butterbar. Their physical is intense and mental bending. And second I have heard that no one listens to the butterbar because he has no experience.
Hope this helps.

Oh and what poster Janus said about picking the military for the GI bill is correct. If you dont do it for the right reasons and dont do it for the job you want, you will have one hell of a bad ride. Do it for your reasons but make sure to get the MOS that makes you happy. Imagine working at at job "civilian" that you dont like but you can call out and quit if you wish. Well in the Army or any branch you must show up and call outs are a right up that takes pay. OH and you cant quit.

DonFlamenco Wrote:I'm planning on taking all FEMAS and National Fire Academy Courses as well as straighterline and a few CLEP exams, at the moment i have a GED and i want to get as many college credits as possible before joining, so in the event that i collect over 50 Credits through FEMAS & CLEPS and so on... What should i do? open up a TESC credit bank and bank all the credits in there? is this a legitimate way of enlisting with over 50 college credits? i want to go in as a E-3.

will it work?
[SIZE="3"][SIZE="2"][SIZE="1"][SIZE="1"][SIZE="4"][SIZE="4"][FONT="Arial Narrow"]"Oh, get a job? Just get a job? Why don't I strap on my job helmet, and squeeze down into a job cannon and fire off into job land, where jobs grow on jobbies!" Its always sunny in Philadelphia.

[SIZE="1"][FONT="Arial Narrow"]tesc credit banked
FEMA IS courses- alot

Aleks completed-many of them

Cleps:Spanish 67

Associates in psychology UOP
TESC BA in psychology[/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE]

attempting currently
Masters in counseling
Mr. Don Flamenco, Mr. Don Flamenco! Please come to the registers up front, you have a phone call. I say again, Mr. Don Flamenco, Mr. Don Flamenco! Please come to the registers up front, you have a phone call..........
Seaman Recruit Flamenco, "Lay to the quarterdeck!"
Gary Wrote:Seaman Recruit Flamenco, "Lay to the quarterdeck!"

Ew, flashbacks! :eek:
[SIZE="1"]BS General Business, March 2010

CLEP College Algebra 51
CLEP Natural Sciences 63
CLEP Social Sciences and History 59
CLEP A&I Lit. 74
CLEP Intro to Sociology 67
CLEP Info Systems and Computer App. 58
CLEP Intro to Psychology 66
CLEP Intro to Business Law 64
CLEP Principles of Management 73
CLEP Principles of Marketing 63
CLEP Principles of Macroeconomics 61
CLEP Principles of Microeconomics 62
DSST Fundamentals of Counseling 49
DSST Principles of Supervision 61
DSST Substance Abuse 441 (Pass)
DSST Business Law II 67
DSST Management Information Systems 436
DSST Principles of Statistics 466
DSST Principles of Finance 435
DSST Civil War and Reconstruction 57
DSST Criminal Justice 431
ECE English Comp C :mad:
ECE World Population A
ECE Ethics, Theory and Practice A
ECE Organizational Behavior A
ECE Human Resource Management B
EC Business Policy B
Straighterline Accounting I B
Straighterline Accounting II B
CSU Pueblo Ops Management A
[/SIZE]
Seaman Recruit Flamenco, "Report to Friendly Frank for happy hour on the drill deck at 2000 hrs for attitude adjustment."

{GLAKES, circa 1976; you know who you are and what I mean}

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  opinion on military school for ADHD teen EducationSeeker 18 3,037 10-14-2022, 02:22 PM
Last Post: martamarti
  ACE credit for possible military enlistment? dfrecore 33 5,684 05-27-2020, 09:59 PM
Last Post: anewmanx
  Have a military education exit strategy. vetvso 26 5,582 05-07-2020, 10:11 PM
Last Post: Life Long Learning
  20% off Coopersmith for Active Military Zachcleigh 0 1,792 12-04-2019, 12:37 PM
Last Post: Zachcleigh
  AMU Reducing Military-Affiliated Master's Tuition to $250/credit (and free books) TheMaskedMutant 1 1,893 11-22-2019, 12:16 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Military Residency Requirement natshar 3 1,941 07-08-2019, 11:13 AM
Last Post: natshar
  Military waiver for residency charge at tesu Zachcleigh 4 2,290 05-09-2019, 07:59 AM
Last Post: ECH90
  TESU database of military credits? dfrecore 8 3,428 02-14-2019, 01:00 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  DraftKings Partners With VetsinTech to Offer Free Coding Training to Ex-Military Memb decimon 0 2,110 06-14-2018, 09:08 PM
Last Post: decimon
  The most Military/Veteran friendly College Commencements! Life Long Learning 42 8,889 06-07-2018, 07:18 PM
Last Post: ShotoJuku