Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pros vs Cons to taking Capstone over winter break?
Question 
Hello all!

My big "master plan" was to do SOS-110 from Oct-Dec and the Capstone from Nov-Jan.  I'm registered for SOS-110 but not for the Capstone yet.

Before I do that, I'd like to get your advice - what do you think some of the pros and cons might be to doing this over winter break? I have a lot of time off from work in Nov and Dec so I was thinking this would be great to get things done but not sure if there are other factors I need to consider.

Thanks in advance!
Amberton University, MS Human Relations & Business
Started June 2022

TESU BALS completed March 2020
Study.com (24) StraighterLine (33) Sophia (10) SHU and GCU (26) TEEX (6) Coopersmith (12) CSMLearn (3) TESU (6)
All that matters is having time to do the work. As long as your holiday activities won't get in the way, I don't see why doing it over the holidays should be a problem.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
[-] The following 1 user Likes davewill's post:
  • suzycupcake
I'm ready to do my COSC capstone and I decided to just do it at the start of next year. It's easy to say you'll have time even with Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years but I just don't think that's realistic. I mean I wouldn't want to be writing papers when my family is over the one time a year I see some of them.

if you aren't going to have anyone over, and you aren't traveling to see anyone, and you aren't spending tons of time shopping for presents, or fixing food, then the pro would be that you'd have tons of time off work to get stuff done.
Study.com - 177 CR. TESU - 39 CR. Middle Georgia State University - 15 CR. Sonoran Desert Institute - 42 CR. COSC - 6 CR. Excelsior - 6 CR. CLEP - 6 CR. Sophia - 14 CR. TEEX - 2 CR. Shmoop - 18 CR. NFA - 4 CR. The Institutes - 2 CR. FEMA - 20ish

BA in History/English from TESU. 
BA in Communications from TESU. AS in Firearms Technology from SDI.

[-] The following 1 user Likes jsh1138's post:
  • suzycupcake
(09-16-2019, 08:36 AM)jsh1138 Wrote: I'm ready to do my COSC capstone and I decided to just do it at the start of next year. It's easy to say you'll have time even with Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years but I just don't think that's realistic. I mean I wouldn't want to be writing papers when my family is over the one time a year I see some of them.

if you aren't going to have anyone over, and you aren't traveling to see anyone, and you aren't spending tons of time shopping for presents, or fixing food, then the pro would be that you'd have tons of time off work to get stuff done.

Very good points to think about - thanks!
Started June 2022

Study.com (24) StraighterLine (33) Sophia (10) SHU and GCU (26) TEEX (6) Coopersmith (12) CSMLearn (3) TESU (6)
It really just depends on your lifestyle. When I was young and single, it would have been a perfect time to do it (my company shut down for 2 weeks over the holidays, but someone had to be there on the days the stock market was open to process stock options, I always offered because I was single w/no kids, and then had zero work to do when I was there but for maybe 20 minutes at 4pm-and I got paid double-time and had the undying gratitude of my married w/children co-workers). Now, it would make me crazy.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(09-16-2019, 04:06 PM)dfrecore Wrote: It really just depends on your lifestyle.  When I was young and single, it would have been a perfect time to do it (my company shut down for 2 weeks over the holidays, but someone had to be there on the days the stock market was open to process stock options, I always offered because I was single w/no kids, and then had zero work to do when I was there but for maybe 20 minutes at 4pm-and I got paid double-time and had the undying gratitude of my married w/children co-workers).  Now, it would make me crazy.

OH WOW!  I would have loved you too for taking one for the team!!

But now you guys have me thinking twice about my whole plan.

My company shuts down between Christmas and NY and it's super slow for most of Nov and Dec. I was originally thinking it would be easy to get work done during those 2 months (my kids are in their teens and sleep late because they gamed most of the night so they won't bother me on school vacation time). But now I really have to think about this bc we go to Aruba for a week in mid Nov and that's 1-2 weeks into the Capstone.

My other consideration is, I guess, the choice of professors in the class (or should that really matter). I posted another thread about that one. 

Maybe I am biting off more than I can chew right now but I really wanted to just be DONE while it was slow for work.
Started June 2022

(09-15-2019, 07:06 AM)suzycupcake Wrote: Hello all!

My big "master plan" was to do SOS-110 from Oct-Dec and the Capstone from Nov-Jan.  I'm registered for SOS-110 but not for the Capstone yet.

Before I do that, I'd like to get your advice - what do you think some of the pros and cons might be to doing this over winter break? I have a lot of time off from work in Nov and Dec so I was thinking this would be great to get things done but not sure if there are other factors I need to consider.

Thanks in advance!

I did my capstone in November term last year, and it kind of sucked. They do move some stuff around to avoid having assignments or posts due on the holiday dates themselves, but it made my holiday travels a bit challenging.

In my case, I worked ahead as much as I could so I was way ahead on my paper writing by the time the actual holidays approached (so I wasn't stuck writing papers while traveling to visit relatives), but there were still forum posts and replies that had to be made, etc.

I don't recommend it unless the winter holidays just mean time off for you. That is how things used to be for me until I had my daughter, now they are all about comings and goings of relatives. Smile
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
(09-16-2019, 06:04 PM)Merlin Wrote:
(09-15-2019, 07:06 AM)suzycupcake Wrote: Hello all!

Thanks in advance!

I did my capstone in November term last year, and it kind of sucked. They do move some stuff around to avoid having assignments or posts due on the holiday dates themselves, but it made my holiday travels a bit challenging.

In my case, I worked ahead as much as I could so I was way ahead on my paper writing by the time the actual holidays approached (so I wasn't stuck writing papers while traveling to visit relatives), but there were still forum posts and replies that had to be made, etc.

I don't recommend it unless the winter holidays just mean time off for you. That is how things used to be for me until I had my daughter, now they are all about comings and goings of relatives. Smile

So glad I asked this question because it's bringing up all kinds of questions for me now - thank you Merlin for your input also!
Started June 2022

I too have teens who sleep a TON, so that wouldn't be my issue - it's just that things get extra busy during the holidays for us. That being said, if you're already working and will have a lot of time off, then maybe you schedule things so that you do your class when you'd normally be working. You can also work ahead, and work around the holidays for certain.

I would say that it REALLY just depends on your holiday schedule. Do you travel? Do you have lots of family obligations during that time? Some people do, some don't. My kids both play sports in winter for high school, so their schedule gets extra busy then. BUT, now that my oldest is driving, it probably wouldn't be as much of an issue as it was prior to that.

Honestly, only you know if the timing is right. It's hard for anyone else to tell you what works for your family.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • suzycupcake

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Business 421 capstone | TESU | Tips from our members akr680 10 1,803 11 hours ago
Last Post: faptaincrunch
  LIB 4950 Capstone GS or OL evenFair23 8 322 03-04-2024, 09:28 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Taking Math Courses at TESU legenwait4itdary 5 482 02-02-2024, 12:32 PM
  Taking CS AOS at TESU daniart09 2 297 01-20-2024, 01:56 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Liberal Arts Capstone resistk 15 1,315 12-18-2023, 02:38 AM
  Register for Capstone Kones 12 1,025 12-04-2023, 08:20 PM
Last Post: resistk
  O Capstone! My Capstone Kab 12 1,135 08-03-2023, 03:06 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Advice: Taking a bunch of writing TECEPs tomorrow. CanICode 10 1,198 05-28-2023, 06:31 PM
  Capstone project Done gams007 5 844 05-02-2023, 09:39 PM
Last Post: gams007
  I need help with Kaltura for the capstone oral presentation mcquacks2 3 657 04-02-2023, 05:07 PM
Last Post: Pats20