Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Graduate School Musings
(12-30-2018, 09:41 PM)cookderosa Wrote:
(12-30-2018, 08:00 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(12-30-2018, 11:57 AM)cookderosa Wrote: Is full time an eventual goal, or would you be happy teaching a few days per week?  Secondary is almost always 5 days per week (180 days give or take) and really no flexibility, where postsecondary is uber flexible.  

No flexibility in that you get 81 days off in addition to weekends?  So no weekends, no holidays, 2+ months off for summer, 1 week off for Thanksgiving, 2 weeks off for Christmas, 1-2 weeks off for Spring Break - that lack of flexibility??  Big Grin

LOL meaning you can't pick your work days or take your family holiday in the middle of September.  ;p

The joys of homeschooling.  We used to plan our vacations out with the "what's the least busy week of the year for Disney World?  Great, we'll go then!"  We did EVERYTHING when it wasn't busy.  One year, we went to Disneyland on a Wed/Thur, although it was cold and yucky.  We didn't have to wait in line for a single ride.  If we wanted to go on 2x or 3x in a row, they would let us.  Then, Friday, it warmed up, and we went, and the kids were like "why are all these PEOPLE here??"  We opted to leave after a couple of hours because they didn't want to wait in lines.  Tongue

Now of course, we are slaves to the school system and it bites!  I don't know how people do this!!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EDIT TO ADD: The least busy time to go to Disneyworld is usually the first full week after the 1st. Think the Sunday when everyone is leaving to go back to school the next day. That's also when people with really little kids go (none are in school yet), but they don't want to do the same rides we do, so even that's great!
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • hsfamfun
We went to Disney one year in mid January when they had their annual Homeschool Days. We only did one of the big programs they offered, but it was great and our tickets were deeply discounted. It was a great experience!

Thank you for all of the advice. I think being an adjunct is going to fit my schedule best for the time being. Right now I am planning on taking the last two PIA classes and I will take a good look at the other programs that were mentioned and look for a good class in Teaching Writing.

Thanks again!
Katie
23 year old son: BOG AAS from Pierpont CTC Dec 2019
Myself: BS Business/French-1991, Masters of Rehabilitation Counseling-1995, Completed the Poetry in America Series from HES for 20 credits in English in May 2019.
I reached out to Fort Hayes State College in Kansas, about their Online MLS with a concentration in Literature.  They will accept up to 9 credit hours in transfer for this program.  Their program is 10 hour Liberal Arts Core and 21 hours Literature with a final project class.  They do not require a GRE.  With 9 hours in transfer, I would need 22 hours to complete the program.  Tuition is currently $287.75 per credit hour.

I like what I am seeing and Dr. Hutchinson, the director of the Literary Studies program is very helpful in answering the questions I have had.  This will most likely be the program that I land in if I decide to get another Masters Degree.  In the meantime, I am enrolled in the final 2 PIA courses that begin next week.
23 year old son: BOG AAS from Pierpont CTC Dec 2019
Myself: BS Business/French-1991, Masters of Rehabilitation Counseling-1995, Completed the Poetry in America Series from HES for 20 credits in English in May 2019.
[-] The following 1 user Likes hsfamfun's post:
  • Ideas
Graduated all your students - that's impressive! Looks like you need a little time before you fully decide your course ahead. While you do that, perhaps you could start an informal and small writing center for kids, which helps them write and make notes for themselves. You are used to teaching kids and writing as a skill is very important throughout life. I have a nephew who grew up with writing and note-taking skills which should have been better. I mean he's very good and focused. He in in college, but needs help. As his mother finds it difficult to get him a tutor, we got him a subscription which could help(we hope) with homework(Bartleby). I'm not sure if this will do the trick. We asked him and he said his friends use it. In retrospect, I feel extra help in his younger years would have been helpful, but then that's water under the bridge now. Again, you've done a wonderful job!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Zo_ey's post:
  • hsfamfun

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Graduate Discounts (ENEB, Walden, etc) ashkir 24 21,132 Yesterday, 01:03 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Fastest way to get into graduate school megaworp 20 884 03-22-2024, 11:23 AM
Last Post: davewill
Star a JD for JSD: another Northwestern California University School of Law journey thread jsd 31 6,845 03-08-2024, 08:40 PM
Last Post: HogwartsSchool
  Graduate Schools that accept the most transfer credits sanantone 65 15,173 03-06-2024, 05:33 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Graduate transfer credits David1477 10 944 03-03-2024, 02:05 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  Harvard Extension School Students Rally for Degree Name Change smartdegree 116 15,344 02-22-2024, 09:51 AM
Last Post: sarahmac
  ENEB won't let me graduate and refusing to answer all emails and calls slayer35 41 4,466 02-20-2024, 10:20 PM
Last Post: William.H
  Northwestern California University School of Law - My Journey GoodYellowDogs 47 14,282 02-14-2024, 11:24 AM
Last Post: MFG
  List of free graduate credit udi 15 7,614 01-26-2024, 09:16 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  Transferring graduate credit from UofPeople Quackerz 8 649 01-16-2024, 10:00 PM
Last Post: Quackerz