Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
One and Done. MBA Complete! WGU
Well, I did it.  I completed the WGU MBA IT Management in one term (with 21 days to spare).  Feels good.  But now I don't know what to do with myself.  I can't remember what I used to do before I started studying all the time.
WGU MBA IT Management Feb. 2019
Excelsior BSLA April 2018
University of Indianapolis - 61 credits
Davar - Computer Lit, Org Behavior 
DSST - Principles Of Statistics, Intro to Business, Principles of Supervision,Substance Abuse 
Excelsior - Bioethics, Assoc Capstone, Bachelors Capstone 
Straighterline - Personal Fitness & Wellness, Cultural Anthropology, Student Success, Criminal Justice, Env Science, Medical Terminology, Pharmacology 1, Bus Ethics
Sophia.org - Effective Teams, Project Management, Intro to Info Tech

[-] The following 8 users Like Kima's post:
  • allvia, ChilliDawg, DeanLewis, Life_One, Merlin, mudball, quigongene, ryanaryn
Congratulations!!! Please tell us more about how you managed to complete in one term. Is a term 6 months long at WGU?
TESU BALS-Psych. + ASNSM(Math) 

TEEX(6): Cybersec. 101/201/301
The Institutes(2): Ethics
Sophia(2): Ess. Of Managing Conflict, Dev. Effective Teams
NFA(1): Comm. Safety Edu.
GED(10): NAS-131, SOC-273, MAT-121, HUM-101 (1)
Study.com(75): Intro to Psych., Soc. Psych.-1, Growth & Dev. Psych., Personality Psych., History & Systems of Psych., Org. Theory, Library Science, Comm. at Workplace, Intro to World Religion, I/O Psych., Ethics in Soc. Sc., Org. Comm., Eng. 104, Eng. 105, History of Vietnam war, Sp. Ed. History & Law, Diff. Ed., Classroom Mgmt., Foundations of Ed., Abnormal Psych., Rsch. methods in Psych., College Math, Intro. to Geometry., Calculus (6).
Saylor (15): Intro. to Mol. & Cellular Bio., Comp. Politics, Corporate Comm., Env. Ethics, Principles of Comm. 
TESU (1): Cornerstone, Lib. 495 Capstone.
CSM (3): Quant. reasoning. 
Aleks (6): Trigonometry, Intro to Statistics. 

MS-Psychology; Walden University 
GPA: 4/4
Congrats! Maybe you can start a new hobby.

(02-07-2019, 09:41 PM)Kima Wrote: Well, I did it.  I completed the WGU MBA IT Management in one term (with 21 days to spare).  Feels good.  But now I don't know what to do with myself.  I can't remember what I used to do before I started studying all the time.

Congratulations!

If you don't mind, I have two questions about how you accomplished this. 

1. What would your 'typical' week look like? 
             Example: Mon-Fri - study 7-9am, work 10-4, study 6-9pm, Sat study 9-4pm, Sun Rest Day
2. Do you have children or a family/partner competing for your time? If yes, how did you balance them?

Thanks for any reply,
CC
(02-07-2019, 09:41 PM)Kima Wrote: Well, I did it.  I completed the WGU MBA IT Management in one term (with 21 days to spare).  Feels good.  But now I don't know what to do with myself.  I can't remember what I used to do before I started studying all the time.

Congrats!

I plan to follow in your footsteps as soon as I can convince WGU to let me in... looking like May term, though I was really hoping to start sooner than that.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
(02-07-2019, 11:08 PM)CuriousCanary Wrote:

Congratulations!

Example: Mon-Fri - study 7-9am, work 10-4, study 6-9pm, Sat study 9-4pm, Sun Rest Day
2. Do you have children or a family/partner competing for your time? If yes, how did you balance them?

Thanks for any reply,
CC

First let me say that I took a different approach than others who have completed the program really quickly.  I was determined to actually learn the material.  So, I read all the course materials or viewed all the videos and took the quizzes before even attempting a practice exam for a course.  Others have done it faster by taking the practice exam first and then focusing on weakness identified in the practice test coaching reports.  

I was working full time so my study hours were limited.  With that said, here's what my study schedule looked like:

Mon - Thurs 6 pm-10 pm
Saturday 8 am -3 pm or sometimes longer
Sunday 12 pm - 4 pm or longer or sometimes longer

I never studied on Fridays.  And I took the entire month of December off.

I do have a husband who was very understanding through this process.  He got 100% of my attention on Friday evenings and many Saturday and Sunday evenings.  My kids are grown, so that wasn't a problem.  But I do have grand kids who I Facetime with every weekend, but it wasn't hard to make time for that.  

I didn't spend time on anything else that wasn't absolutely necessary.  There were some weeks when I didn't even clean my house.  I kept meals simple.  I'm not going to lie, I'm a bit burnt out and I need a break from that pace.  But I learned A LOT and I already got the promotion I was hoping.  So for me it was well worth it.

Good Luck on your journey!
DSST - Principles Of Statistics, Intro to Business, Principles of Supervision,Substance Abuse 
Straighterline - Personal Fitness & Wellness, Cultural Anthropology, Student Success, Criminal Justice, Env Science, Medical Terminology, Pharmacology 1, Bus Ethics

[-] The following 3 users Like Kima's post:
  • allvia, GoodYellowDogs, SDO
(02-08-2019, 07:42 AM)Kima Wrote:
(02-07-2019, 11:08 PM)CuriousCanary Wrote:

Congratulations!

Thanks for any reply,
CC

First let me say that I took a different approach than others who have completed the program really quickly.  I was determined to actually learn the material.  So, I read all the course materials or viewed all the videos and took the quizzes before even attempting a practice exam for a course.  Others have done it faster by taking the practice exam first and then focusing on weakness identified in the practice test coaching reports.  

I was working full time so my study hours were limited.  With that said, here's what my study schedule looked like:

Mon - Thurs 6 pm-10 pm
Saturday 8 am -3 pm or sometimes longer
Sunday 12 pm - 4 pm or longer or sometimes longer

I never studied on Fridays.  And I took the entire month of December off.

I do have a husband who was very understanding through this process.  He got 100% of my attention on Friday evenings and many Saturday and Sunday evenings.  My kids are grown, so that wasn't a problem.  But I do have grand kids who I Facetime with every weekend, but it wasn't hard to make time for that.  

I didn't spend time on anything else that wasn't absolutely necessary.  There were some weeks when I didn't even clean my house.  I kept meals simple.  I'm not going to lie, I'm a bit burnt out and I need a break from that pace.  But I learned A LOT and I already got the promotion I was hoping.  So for me it was well worth it.

Good Luck on your journey!

Thank you so much for sharing! Very inspirational to read stories like this.
TESU BALS-Psych. + ASNSM(Math) 

TEEX(6): Cybersec. 101/201/301
The Institutes(2): Ethics
Sophia(2): Ess. Of Managing Conflict, Dev. Effective Teams
NFA(1): Comm. Safety Edu.
GED(10): NAS-131, SOC-273, MAT-121, HUM-101 (1)
Study.com(75): Intro to Psych., Soc. Psych.-1, Growth & Dev. Psych., Personality Psych., History & Systems of Psych., Org. Theory, Library Science, Comm. at Workplace, Intro to World Religion, I/O Psych., Ethics in Soc. Sc., Org. Comm., Eng. 104, Eng. 105, History of Vietnam war, Sp. Ed. History & Law, Diff. Ed., Classroom Mgmt., Foundations of Ed., Abnormal Psych., Rsch. methods in Psych., College Math, Intro. to Geometry., Calculus (6).
Saylor (15): Intro. to Mol. & Cellular Bio., Comp. Politics, Corporate Comm., Env. Ethics, Principles of Comm. 
TESU (1): Cornerstone, Lib. 495 Capstone.
CSM (3): Quant. reasoning. 
Aleks (6): Trigonometry, Intro to Statistics. 

MS-Psychology; Walden University 
GPA: 4/4
Congrats Kima!

I have two classes left towards the MBAITM - DDDM & the capstone. I agree with you, I am bone tired. I cannot wait to finish. I'll likely take the full six months, but I am on track to finish in the 1st term.

Financial Management was a beast! The objective assessment was easier than I expected, but there were 76 questions instead of the advertised 69. So glad to be done with that class.

Which class did you think was the hardest...or as I call it "the beast"?
Goal: MBA in IT Management, WGU

AA Information TechnologyUniversity of Phoenix, 2008
BS Business Administration in C.I.S., Thomas Edison State University2018
MBA Information Technology Management, Western Governor's University, In Progress
(02-08-2019, 04:20 PM)albinosmurf Wrote: Congrats Kima!

I have two classes left towards the MBAITM - DDDM & the capstone. I agree with you, I am bone tired. I cannot wait to finish. I'll likely take the full six months, but I am on track to finish in the 1st term.

Financial Management was a beast! The objective assessment was easier than I expected, but there were 76 questions instead of the advertised 69. So glad to be done with that class.

Which class did you think was the hardest...or as I call it "the beast"?

I would agree that Financial Management was the hardest material to learn.  Thank goodness for Dr. V's overview video and all his hints about where people usually make mistakes.  

But knowing the concepts from Financial Management really helped with the Capsim.  I feel lucky to have gotten a good team that worked well together.  We completed the sim in the 92nd percentile, which I take as a win.  

I thought that IT Project Management and the Capstone took the most work to complete though.  My original plan had 3 weeks to complete the capstone course.  It ended up taking almost 5 weeks and that felt very rushed.  

Good luck on last few course!  I'm planning on attending the graduation ceremony in California.  How about you?  Planning on attending a grad ceremony?

Congratulations!!! Great work!!!

It definitely does feel like a little bit of a let-down when you're used to studying all the time. I still haven't answered the "what's next" question.

Relax and enjoy. You earned it!
Regis University, ITESO, Global MBA with a focus in Emerging Markets 4.0 GPA, Dual-university degree (Spanish/English) 
COSC BS, Business Admin

My BS Credits:
Spanish 80 | Humanities 67 | A & I Lit 72 | Sub Abuse 452 | Bus Ethics 445 | Tech Writ 62 | Math 53 | HTYH 454 | Am. Govt 65 | Env & Humanity 64 | Marketing 65 | Micro 61| Mgmt 63| Org Behavior 65| MIS 446|Computing 432 | BL II 61 | M&B 50 | Finance 411 | Supervision 437| Intro Bus. 439| Law Enforcement 63|  SL: Accounting I B | Accounting II C+| Macro A | ECE: Labor Relations A | Capstone: A| FEMA PDS Cert 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Fastest MBA to Complete klone 13 2,222 07-22-2023, 11:15 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  15 Credits towards MSOL - where to complete quickest? Alexrgr 7 1,439 01-20-2021, 09:33 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Goal Achieved: 20 Grad. English Credits/Harvard Poetry Series Complete eriehiker 8 2,112 05-30-2019, 10:34 AM
Last Post: ChilliDawg