Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Online school sucks
collegechick Wrote:That would be no school whatsoever. I'm just tired of feeling like I'm passed over for someone with an additional piece of paper.

At my work, not having the paper is going to get you passed over by HR. So I know that feeling.

I think you should bag a degree with the least amount of effort possible that will help you at work, which is not necessarily the least amount of money or the most amount of learning. I don't know the BA Communications at TESU, but I don't think it's the path of least resistance unless your work explicitly wants a communications degree. I like the TESU business admin degree because the requirements are easy to meet and it also happens to help at work more for most. TESU Lib Arts degree is another option.

First, take every CLEP, DSST, and TECEP that meets degree reqs that can be passed with quick study or no study like CLEP A&I Lit (worth 6 at TESU too). Use the paid IC forum, which I think is more helpful than the IC flashcards.

Then start using SL with certain exceptions like econ and stats. Make sure you get feedback about each SL course before you purchase it. Use the ctrl-F method and the Internet to power through the course in one day. You won't learn much, but you'll have your 3 credits in a day without leaving home. You need not worry about the proctored final if your non-proctored scores are high enough. ALEKS could be worth up to 12 credits. ALEKS might be gone in a few days, but I would try to get at least intermediate algebra, college algebra, and precalc done with what I call the wolf method before Nov 30. Stats via ALEKS is tough and I would avoid unless you find math easy.

For stats, I would use ratemyprofessor and take the easiest instructor at the community college. Crash the class on day 1 if there are no seats.

I think this is as "no school" as you'll get and still get your paper you need for work to avoid being passed over.

PM if you don't understand the vague parts of my post. It was deliberately vague.
TESU BA CS and Math (graduated December 2016)
collegechick Wrote:That would be no school whatsoever. I'm just tired of feeling like I'm passed over for someone with an additional piece of paper.

Well..... I can't help you with that. You could apply for positions that don't require a piece of paper, but if you choose to power through, you'll be the person they promote over the person without the piece of paper.
I have said many times that earning my degrees wasn't NEARLY as hard as I thought it was when I was in my late teens/early 20's. I felt then like you feel now- like it was this huge annoying mountain, too long, too much, blahhhh yuck. For me, the light bulb came on when I took my first CLEP, I mean talk about beating the system! For *me, whenever I'm dragging, I double down. I am very easily bored, and no way on the planet I'd have any degree if I had to wait 4 years. 2 was bad enough. I did the AA & BA in 18 months. Instead of a break, add a second or third class to your plate- get crazy busy. Aim for passing, not perfection. Bring the finish line closer and bust it out. Whatever your plan was, shave 6 months. People who run over hot coals never burn their feet.
I think part of the problem is that you took crappy OL courses. Saylor stinks, it's like torture. The Insurance Ethics course is worthless. But I have taken some courses that I liked.

I don't love OL courses, BUT I also have a tough time sitting through a 16-week course at college. It's horrible. I did figure out that I can do 5-10 week courses though - I took an 8-week course last summer through my local CC. And I've taken some great management courses at GGU 15 years ago, where they had different formats - 10-week courses, and 5-week weekend-intensive courses - and I liked them all.

I also had terrible experiences at the first 4-yr college I went to, some of the teachers were terrible. The ones who were killing time until retirement after getting tenure were fun. And the grad student teaching Calculus for Engineering Majors who couldn't speak English. For weeks, I sat there feeling like I was an idiot, until every single person in the class flunked the first exam. Every. Single. Person. We were all engineering majors! The average at that point was 40%. I quit. Then I went back to CC a few years later and found that there were some GREAT teachers there, and I enjoyed myself (except the 16-week format).

I think you have to figure out how to get the best of both worlds. You have to take some classes somewhere to get the interaction (I recommend courses in your major where it's really important to you, or things that are really hard where you need more help from an instructor). At the same time, you can take online courses and/or study for exams.

It may end up taking you a little longer than people here who power through courses in a matter of days/hours, but you'll be happier for it.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  guided vs online tesu capstone shendaddy 18 6,175 09-19-2018, 06:07 AM
Last Post: armstrongsubero
  TESU BALS 2018 - All Online seaweedhead 5 2,931 08-23-2018, 06:18 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  Applying to PA school ashtonnewman 18 4,066 08-12-2018, 11:17 PM
Last Post: ashtonnewman
  Business Degree and Dental School Flowers12 6 2,505 07-19-2018, 03:12 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  TESU Psychology courses & grad school prospects. advancedmemetics 5 1,741 07-06-2018, 11:35 AM
Last Post: sanantone
  URGENT HELP NEEDED! Survey on Online Digital Learning due by 23 June for Capstone! Nightmoves5 6 1,809 06-21-2018, 06:49 PM
Last Post: fork
  Online Course Finder launching. This might interest you if you're in California jsh1138 13 3,082 06-01-2018, 01:58 PM
Last Post: jsh1138
  Feelings about TESU / online schools Ideas 22 5,222 05-26-2018, 03:26 PM
Last Post: Jimmy999
  Tesu..finish a degree ad grad school Sb2013 11 3,351 05-24-2018, 10:52 PM
Last Post: SDO
  Biology degree online can it be done? Tennesseegirl87 33 7,308 04-18-2018, 09:15 AM
Last Post: cookderosa