Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Onlinedegree.com/Aleks/InstaCert
If you have experience with these please please shoot me a message. I have some questions about these and how they work.

Thanks.
I would recommend Onlinedegree.com as their format is similar to Study.com and only at $9/3 credits. It's essentially, viewing all the videos (10%) quizzes (50%) and a final (40%) of the grade. So, don't fast forward a video, just go at it normal speed while you do something else if you don't want to view it - or 1.25/1.5 speed and wait for the time to complete before you close it (it's worth 10% of the grade).

The quiz is a bit weird as you won't know which questions you got wrong, but you should have a spreadsheet or something to keep track of your quiz marks to determine your current %. Generally, if you pass the final with 50% or higher, you should be able to get 70% cumulative average to get the 3 credits.

ALEKS is an AI, so it will try to determine how well you are capable of that specific course, however; you need to follow it's particular rubrics. For College Algebra/Trigonometry, it's pretty straight forward, but for Stats - I had issues with it, turns out they use a Calculus based approach vs the Algebra based approach.

Do the CSM Learn course first for your Stats requirement, then do the ALEKS for the College Algebra requirement. Note, if you have a second monitor, you want to have the course material open to learn the steps again and again for practice. What I did was have a few sheets of paper and wrote down steps I didn't understand and grasp, it helped a hell of a lot with the practice.

Just to add: I failed ALEKS Stats (all 3 tries on 3 different courses from them, intro to stats, business stats, stats for health sciences) then I failed the StraighterLine Intro to Stats (I had 65% and needed 70%) and I was going to go for Study.com Business Stats, but found out StraighterLine had a Business Stats course, took that while I still had membership and I finally passed with 85%. If CSM Learn came out then, I wouldn't have had that much of an issue!!

Finally, InstantCertCredit is very similar to Davar. It's basically get familiar with the subject material by going through lessons/videos and then final exam. I have membership for the courses for the next few months and I haven't taken any exams yet as I don't need the credits. Their system is pretty neat/nice, the proctoring they use is the same as Davar/Study.com as they use RPNow. I highly recommend getting your general education/free electives done through them.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • beautifulpsalms
(02-18-2020, 02:40 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: I would recommend Onlinedegree.com as their format is similar to Study.com and only at $9/3 credits. It's essentially, viewing all the videos (10%) quizzes (50%) and a final (40%) of the grade. So, don't fast forward a video, just go at it normal speed while you do something else if you don't want to view it - or 1.25/1.5 speed and wait for the time to complete before you close it (it's worth 10% of the grade).

The quiz is a bit weird as you won't know which questions you got wrong, but you should have a spreadsheet or something to keep track of your quiz marks to determine your current %. Generally, if you pass the final with 50% or higher, you should be able to get 70% cumulative average to get the 3 credits.

ALEKS is an AI, so it will try to determine how well you are capable of that specific course, however; you need to follow it's particular rubrics.  For College Algebra/Trigonometry, it's pretty straight forward, but for Stats - I had issues with it, turns out they use a Calculus based approach vs the Algebra based approach.  

Do the CSM Learn course first for your Stats requirement, then do the ALEKS for the College Algebra requirement. Note, if you have a second monitor, you want to have the course material open to learn the steps again and again for practice. What I did was have a few sheets of paper and wrote down steps I didn't understand and grasp, it helped a hell of a lot with the practice.

Just to add: I failed ALEKS Stats (all 3 tries on 3 different courses from them, intro to stats, business stats, stats for health sciences) then I failed the StraighterLine Intro to Stats (I had 65% and needed 70%) and I was going to go for Study.com Business Stats, but found out StraighterLine had a Business Stats course, took that while I still had membership and I finally passed with 85%. If CSM Learn came out then, I wouldn't have had that much of an issue!!

Finally, InstantCertCredit is very similar to Davar.  It's basically get familiar with the subject material by going through lessons/videos and then final exam.  I have membership for the courses for the next few months and I haven't taken any exams yet as I don't need the credits.  Their system is pretty neat/nice, the proctoring they use is the same as Davar/Study.com as they use RPNow.  I highly recommend getting your general education/free electives done through them.
Great post, bj.
(02-18-2020, 02:40 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: So, don't fast forward a video, just go at it normal speed while you do something else if you don't want to view it - or 1.25/1.5 speed and wait for the time to complete before you close it (it's worth 10% of the grade).

The 10% isn't based on how fast you watch the videos.  It's pretty much a given.

Some people complain about onlinedegree usually top 2 complaints it that it's long and quizzes are hard.

My strategy is to watch the first video each lesson at 2x speed, completely ignore all other videos since they are usually useless.  Try HARD to average 80% on quizzes so then you only need 50% on the final to pass.  Print out all quizzes and use them to study the concepts for the final. 

Doing that I can breeze through those courses in 20hrs or less.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
(02-18-2020, 04:59 PM)terryd5150 Wrote:
(02-18-2020, 02:40 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: I would recommend Onlinedegree.com as their format is similar to Study.com and only at $9/3 credits. It's essentially, viewing all the videos (10%) quizzes (50%) and a final (40%) of the grade. So, don't fast forward a video, just go at it normal speed while you do something else if you don't want to view it - or 1.25/1.5 speed and wait for the time to complete before you close it (it's worth 10% of the grade).

ALEKS is an AI, so it will try to determine how well you are capable of that specific course, however; you need to follow it's particular rubrics.  For College Algebra/Trigonometry, it's pretty straight forward, but for Stats - I had issues with it, turns out they use a Calculus based approach vs the Algebra based approach.  

Finally, InstantCertCredit is very similar to Davar.  It's basically get familiar with the subject material by going through lessons/videos and then final exam.  I have membership for the courses for the next few months and I haven't taken any exams yet as I don't need the credits.  Their system is pretty neat/nice, the proctoring they use is the same as Davar/Study.com as they use RPNow.  I highly recommend getting your general education/free electives done through them.
Great post, bj.

I see you are discussing stats - Saylor actually has it too.
Does anyone know if COSC accepts anything from onlinedegree.com?
(02-18-2020, 06:39 PM)LevelUP Wrote:
(02-18-2020, 02:40 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: So, don't fast forward a video, just go at it normal speed while you do something else if you don't want to view it - or 1.25/1.5 speed and wait for the time to complete before you close it (it's worth 10% of the grade).

The 10% isn't based on how fast you watch the videos.  It's pretty much a given.

Some people complain about onlinedegree usually top 2 complaints it that it's long and quizzes are hard.

My strategy is to watch the first video each lesson at 2x speed, completely ignore all other videos since they are usually useless.  Try HARD to average 80% on quizzes so then you only need 50% on the final to pass.  Print out all quizzes and use them to study the concepts for the final. 

Doing that I can breeze through those courses in 20hrs or less.

That is some good stuff...
First off, trying to listen to people talk at 2x the video speed isn't recommended, I mean, how the heck do you write your own "Coles Notes" of the lesson? I have it at 1.25x (generally)/1.5x (if it is boring). Now again, the lessons are not considered "long", it's just like a regular class where someone would lecture for about 45 minutes. I mean, would you rather take a course in college and take 12 weeks to complete the course or a course online where you can complete in days?

Quizzes are not to be easy passes, it should be variable in nature to help retain and review the material taught. Yes, print/write down all the concepts as I mentioned, try to get it done but don't rush yourself in the process. Onlinedegree.com doesn't have a monthly subscription like Study.com/StraighterLine, so take your time to get past that course the first time. Essentially, take all the cheap/easy/fast courses that don't require a membership. Your final LL/UL courses should be from SL/Study.com!
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Degrees available with Saylor Academy and OnlineDegree cvalor 21 3,261 07-03-2023, 02:24 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  ALEKS free for two months (start by April 30, 2020) PrettyFlyforaChiGuy 30 5,312 04-02-2023, 04:54 PM
Last Post: ashkir
  ALEKS GLMRGIRL717 2 618 08-15-2022, 07:04 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  OnlineDegree.com final exam vs quizzes jsd 7 1,463 04-26-2022, 06:54 AM
Last Post: carrythenothing
  OnlineDegree cosmetic update rachel83az 4 888 01-09-2022, 07:25 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  onlinedegree.com transcripts not showing up? studyingfortests 6 986 10-31-2021, 06:59 PM
Last Post: studyingfortests
  COS 101 Onlinedegree.com cizzie 3 927 10-19-2021, 03:18 PM
Last Post: cizzie
  Still time for ALEKS credit? MDW2447 14 3,017 09-10-2021, 03:55 AM
Last Post: echo64
  International InstaCert user joebloggs 2 651 07-19-2021, 04:52 PM
Last Post: lidel
  onlinedegree.com course difficulty/completion times? studyingfortests 4 1,249 07-10-2021, 10:38 PM
Last Post: Vle045