Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Organic Chemistry and Bio Chemistry Online?
Hi everyone! 

I have a B.A. in psychology from FIU. I am very limited to what I can do as I am currently working while traveling (traveling drone pilot), I am not stable to one location. So I'm not able to apply for any Social Work programs as they require in-person hours that count towards your certifications. I thought maybe to go down the nursing field, but also ran into the same issue there. I saw an online masters program in nutritional science from the university of Texas and I do not have all the pre-reqs they require. 
  • Organic Chemistry
  • Bio Chemistry
  • Intro to Nutrition
  • Anatomy and Physiology 

On Study.com I have found Intro to Nutrition and Anatomy and Physiology. I was reading that Organic chem and Bio chem require chem 1, chem 2, precalc and calc, which I can complete at Study.com. But the biggest issue I'm running into is where can I take Bio Chem and Organic Chem? If as a last resort I need to take it at a community college online is it possible to have transferring credits from so many different places? I'd have 
  • BA from my university
  • Intro to nutrition and anatomy and physiology from Study.com
  • Then I would have to find a community college that accepts the pre-reqs from study.com of pre-calc, calc, chem 1, chem 2. Then take organic chem and bio chem there?
Overall I'd like to find accredited options to take bio chem and organic chem from a website similar to study.com. This is my first hearing about study.com and other options like that, I had no clue it was possible.

Oh and if anyone knows about any MSW or LPC programs that are fully online, including the in-person required hours I'd love to hear about them! Also, any nursing programs in that situation! Or of any certifications for Medical billing and coding (I want another work from home option just in case something doesn't work out with my current job) 

Thanks!
First, are you certain that the school you're wanting to go to will accept Study.com for your pre-reqs? You need to check first before doing anything else, or you'll just waste your time and money.

Second, probably the best place to take ALL of these courses (although it will cost more than most ACE platforms) is Portage Learning, which transcripts it's courses through Geneva College (RA). Their courses are all self-paced, and you can take them quickly (in as few as 3 weeks) or slowly (up to 1 year). The cost is $198/cr, which is a great price (although with the number of credits you need, it will be a lot).

They have:
BIOD 101: Essential Biology I w/Lab (4cr)
BIOD 102: Essential Biology II w/Lab (4cr)
BIOD 121: Essentials in Nutrition (3cr)
BIOD 151: Essential Human Anatomy & Physiology I w/Lab (4cr)
BIOD 152: Essential Human Anatomy & Physiology II w/Lab (4cr)

CHEM 103: General Chemistry I w/Lab (4cr)
CHEM 104: General Chemistry II w/Lab (4cr)
CHEM 210: Biochemistry (3cr)
CHEM 219: Principles of Organic Chemistry w/Lab (4cr)

ASU UL has MAT 170: Precalculus, MAT 210: Brief Calculus, and MAT 265: Calculus for Engineers I - each is 3cr, and are all self-paced. It's $25 to take each course, and then $400 each to get them added to a transcript (so $425 per course).

Obviously if you can find these courses cheaper through a CC in your state, then you should do that.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(06-09-2022, 08:44 PM)dfrecore Wrote: First, are you certain that the school you're wanting to go to will accept Study.com for your pre-reqs?  You need to check first before doing anything else, or you'll just waste your time and money.

Second, probably the best place to take ALL of these courses (although it will cost more than most ACE platforms) is Portage Learning, which transcripts it's courses through Geneva College (RA).  Their courses are all self-paced, and you can take them quickly (in as few as 3 weeks) or slowly (up to 1 year). The cost is $198/cr, which is a great price (although with the number of credits you need, it will be a lot).

They have:
BIOD 101: Essential Biology I w/Lab (4cr)
BIOD 102: Essential Biology II w/Lab (4cr)
BIOD 121: Essentials in Nutrition (3cr)
BIOD 151: Essential Human Anatomy & Physiology I w/Lab (4cr)
BIOD 152: Essential Human Anatomy & Physiology II w/Lab (4cr)

CHEM 103: General Chemistry I w/Lab (4cr)
CHEM 104: General Chemistry II w/Lab (4cr)
CHEM 210: Biochemistry (3cr)
CHEM 219: Principles of Organic Chemistry w/Lab (4cr)

ASU UL has MAT 170: Precalculus, MAT 210: Brief Calculus, and MAT 265: Calculus for Engineers I - each is 3cr, and are all self-paced.  It's $25 to take each course, and then $400 each to get them added to a transcript (so $425 per course).

Obviously if you can find these courses cheaper through a CC in your state, then you should do that.

I'm completely new to all of this! I will be contacting the school I'd like to apply to and asking them, but from what i've seen, they do. The graduate program was actually recommended through edX. May I ask why going through portage may be a better idea as they are significantly more expensive?
(06-09-2022, 08:49 PM)yeapies Wrote:
(06-09-2022, 08:44 PM)dfrecore Wrote: First, are you certain that the school you're wanting to go to will accept Study.com for your pre-reqs?  You need to check first before doing anything else, or you'll just waste your time and money.

I'm completely new to all of this! I will be contacting the school I'd like to apply to and asking them, but from what i've seen, they do. The graduate program was actually recommended through edX. May I ask why going through portage may be a better idea as they are significantly more expensive?

That's why I said talk to your school first.  If they don't take ACE credit for their pre-reqs, then you would need alternative options.

If they'll take ACE, then you would probably only need Portage/Geneva for the 2 courses you couldn't find elsewhere.  No ACE provider has those that I'm aware of.
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(06-09-2022, 09:06 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(06-09-2022, 08:49 PM)yeapies Wrote:

That's why I said talk to your school first.  If they don't take ACE credit for their pre-reqs, then you would need alternative options.

If they'll take ACE, then you would probably only need Portage/Geneva for the 2 courses you couldn't find elsewhere.  No ACE provider has those that I'm aware of.
Okay, perfect! Now I understand. Thanks! Hopefully they accept ACE, which I think they do, but crossing my fingers!
I just looked, and I don't see where UT accepts ACE credit unless you are military (and even then, it's limited). They only accept 8 CLEP exams (out of 34) and several have additional requirements (like essays or additional tests).

Given this info, I HIGHLY doubt that they take ACE credit. Not even as pre-reqs.
(06-09-2022, 10:01 PM)dfrecore Wrote: I just looked, and I don't see where UT accepts ACE credit unless you are military (and even then, it's limited).  They only accept 8 CLEP exams (out of 34) and several have additional requirements (like essays or additional tests).

Given this info, I HIGHLY doubt that they take ACE credit.  Not even as pre-reqs.

I just saw they accept an EDx pre-req. Also, I saw at the bottom of study.com where you can search to see if your university accepts the credits, it says over 1500+ colleges and universities do. I see that it's accepted, but to still contact them to confirm. I'm guessing this list of schools isn't as accurate?
(06-09-2022, 10:38 PM)yeapies Wrote:
(06-09-2022, 10:01 PM)dfrecore Wrote: I just looked, and I don't see where UT accepts ACE credit unless you are military (and even then, it's limited).  They only accept 8 CLEP exams (out of 34) and several have additional requirements (like essays or additional tests).

Given this info, I HIGHLY doubt that they take ACE credit.  Not even as pre-reqs.

I just saw they accept an EDx pre-req. Also, I saw at the bottom of study.com where you can search to see if your university accepts the credits, it says over 1500+ colleges and universities do. I see that it's accepted, but to still contact them to confirm. I'm guessing this list of schools isn't as accurate?

Is it one of their own courses?  I'm guessing so.

The ACE guide is not a good way to know if a school accepts courses - it may include any school that accepts CLEP and DSST exams, which is a lot.  This does not mean they will accept ACE credit from the providers on here.

The best way to see if a school will accept ACE credits is to first search for CLEP, to see if they specifically accept CLEP exams. Next, search for DSST.  If they accept DSST as well, now you're cooking.  Last is ACE, which can usually be found near the others (similar section, like credit-by-exam or transfer credit or alt credit or something along those lines).
(06-10-2022, 11:41 AM)dfrecore Wrote:
(06-09-2022, 10:38 PM)yeapies Wrote:

Is it one of their own courses?  I'm guessing so.

The ACE guide is not a good way to know if a school accepts courses - it may include any school that accepts CLEP and DSST exams, which is a lot.  This does not mean they will accept ACE credit from the providers on here.

The best way to see if a school will accept ACE credits is to first search for CLEP, to see if they specifically accept CLEP exams. Next, search for DSST.  If they accept DSST as well, now you're cooking.  Last is ACE, which can usually be found near the others (similar section, like credit-by-exam or transfer credit or alt credit or something along those lines).

This is a great guide! Thanks! I am going to broaden my search for other programs. I saw that university seemed to be ranked well, and the price for their nutritional sciences graduate program seemed fair, $25,500. Now as I'm searching more I'm finding graduate programs for better prices. Do you know of a resource that might show me how well a school performs. I don't want to enroll into a program and complete it and find out it isn't worth much.
(06-10-2022, 02:38 PM)yeapies Wrote: This is a great guide! Thanks! I am going to broaden my search for other programs. I saw that university seemed to be ranked well, and the price for their nutritional sciences graduate program seemed fair, $25,500. Now as I'm searching more I'm finding graduate programs for better prices. Do you know of a resource that might show me how well a school performs. I don't want to enroll into a program and complete it and find out it isn't worth much.

Do you want to be a nutritionist and if so, where?

https://www.onetonline.org/link/summary/29-1031.00
Ongoing: MLIS

June 2022, Thomas Edison State University (TESU): Second degree - BA in Computer Science + ASNSM in Mathematics + Cert. in CIS + Cert. in Operations Mgmt.
e-Packs: Computer Concepts; Industrial Psych.
Guided Study: Comp. Architecture
Online: Intro. to PLA; Database Mgmt.; Software Eng.; Data Structures; Liberal Arts Capstone; DSI-610 (Statistics.com)

May 2019, a residential, RA institution: BA in Political Science and Educational Studies
Relevant equivalencies: MAT-321; MAT-431; STA-315

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Information New Sophia Courses: College Math and Chemistry MNomadic 67 10,389 03-07-2024, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Westslope Cutthroat
  Sophia - Intro to Chemistry Lab now Available! ashkir 1 605 04-03-2023, 07:59 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Sophia Intro to Chemistry Lab course difficulty level EducationSeeker 6 1,203 01-09-2023, 11:33 PM
Last Post: EducationSeeker
  Online Self-Paced Certified Personal Trainer course ($19.99/month) worth 3 ACE credit MNomadic 1 932 01-07-2023, 02:01 PM
Last Post: Kab
  Best Place Online for Spanish I/II PseudoPepito 5 1,082 06-17-2022, 07:04 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Online credit courses Mcflurry 7 1,540 03-15-2022, 12:03 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Study.com Chemistry Courses Lewis.Yim 10 2,797 02-24-2022, 10:31 AM
Last Post: myriam91
  Online proctoring and Linux? mahaganapati 4 1,254 02-20-2022, 07:22 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Are there resources to get credits online for students in the UK? yellow_gambit 4 990 11-24-2021, 11:23 AM
Last Post: yellow_gambit
  Any recommendation for these online courses accredited by ACE? ayman003 10 1,957 08-16-2021, 05:05 PM
Last Post: SteveFoerster