Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PLA and residency credits
All-

Does anyone know if PLA credits count towards residency requirements for military TESU students? (Military residency requirements are different than regular residency requirements)

Thx
(07-31-2021, 03:37 PM)bsimi Wrote: All-

Does anyone know if PLA credits count towards residency requirements for military TESU students? (Military residency requirements are different than regular residency requirements)

Thx
Yes it does. I know because I am military and did PLA.
In Progress: CSU MS Occupational Safety | TESU BALS HR & Computer Science | TESU AAS Admin Studies
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, HRM

Completed: TESU AAS Environmental, Safety & Tech, BA in Environmental Studies/ Natural Science and Mathematics

(07-31-2021, 06:13 PM)ROYISAGIRL Wrote:
(07-31-2021, 03:37 PM)bsimi Wrote: All-

Thx
Yes it does. I know because I am military and did PLA.

Thanks - did the military pay for the PLA credits and assessment fee? This is for active duty benefits not GI bill
No the only thing that would be covered is the PLA 100 and 200 courses since they are graded credits. The portfolio fees are out of pocket expenses.
In Progress: CSU MS Occupational Safety | TESU BALS HR & Computer Science | TESU AAS Admin Studies
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, HRM

Completed: TESU AAS Environmental, Safety & Tech, BA in Environmental Studies/ Natural Science and Mathematics

(07-31-2021, 07:42 PM)ROYISAGIRL Wrote: No the only thing that would be covered is the PLA 100 and 200 courses since they are graded credits. The portfolio fees are out of pocket expenses.

What about the credits that are awarded for the PLA? There is the portfolio assessment fee of $389 for 12 credits and then the credits are charged at $178/credit from what I can tell. Is that true?
PLA credits are rarely worth the time or money. For $79 you can complete far more than 12 credits if you put some time into classes on Sophia.org. It's $79 a month and it's LL classes. Study.com is $200 a month and has UL courses. You're limited to 2 exams a month with additional exams for $70 more each up to 3 additional exams a month. There are also community colleges with online programs that are much less than $178 per credit to get your RA credits.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ss20ts's post:
  • schristian10
ss20ts Wrote:PLA credits are rarely worth the time or money. For $79 you can complete far more than 12 credits if you put some time into classes on Sophia.org. It's $79 a month and it's LL classes. Study.com is $200 a month and has UL courses. You're limited to 2 exams a month with additional exams for $70 more each up to 3 additional exams a month. There are also community colleges with online programs that are much less than $178 per credit to get your RA credits.

True, very good recommendations. In addition to this, if you're looking for RA credits for residency, the TECEPS (Lower Level) would be recommended as well if you're an active service person. Depending on the number of residency credits you're looking for, 8 TECEPS will be $1200 if you need 24 RA credits. PLA for 18 credits will be over $1400... https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...3-Compared
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
If you're looking for residency, TECEPs count toward that for active military. I think they'll pay for those, too? There are some relatively easy TECEPs that you can take, like the English Comp ones and the CIS107 one. I'm sure that there are others.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
(08-01-2021, 02:54 AM)rachel83az Wrote: If you're looking for residency, TECEPs count toward that for active military. I think they'll pay for those, too? There are some relatively easy TECEPs that you can take, like the English Comp ones and the CIS107 one. I'm sure that there are others.

Thanks - yes TECEPs would be great, but there aren't many liberal studies upper level credit TECEPS
(08-01-2021, 03:24 AM)bsimi Wrote: Thanks - yes TECEPs would be great, but there aren't many liberal studies upper level credit TECEPS

Upper Level TECEPS aren't usually recommended as it's much harder and more expensive. Each UL TECEP exam is $225, if you take a LL it would be $150, this way you can take an easy course from say InstantCertCredit, Sophia.org, or CLEP/MS for lower level. If you need UL credit, you can take Coopersmith, Davar, Study.com. The LL TECEPS are to get you residency, the alternative providers are best used for Upper Level. Sometimes it's advantageous to take a LL TECEP and then ladder that knowledge with an UL Study.com course.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Debate/speech competition transfer credits? Fave advisors? PLEX 4 163 03-20-2024, 03:09 PM
Last Post: PLEX
  Is an academic certificate a degree for the purposes of "new" credits? Am I screwed? ItsNeverTheLionsYear 3 238 03-13-2024, 08:53 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Organizational Leadership Cert SDC transfer credits Kones 5 470 02-10-2024, 03:48 PM
Last Post: MrPanda
  What constitutes "new" credits for 2nd degree? homeschoolmom1 8 497 01-15-2024, 10:50 PM
  Residency waiver beyond graduation gams007 15 1,384 01-15-2024, 03:48 AM
  Emailing TESU about planning external credits into academic evaluation aperantosbias 9 611 12-29-2023, 10:37 PM
Last Post: Quackerz
  Less Than 15 Credits Left for TESU Flat Rate Term mariobros1985 7 792 11-22-2023, 09:38 PM
  TESU AS in electronics. Transfer credits options? shows55 2 433 11-12-2023, 11:40 AM
  TESU multiple degrees / residency question Sean1234 12 1,128 11-03-2023, 06:01 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Residency Waiver cost BigJohn1975 2 620 10-03-2023, 06:34 PM
Last Post: davewill