Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Passed the CISSP Exam
For everyone here that is taking the MS-CSIA program at WGU, I would highly recommend taking the CISSP exam shortly after you graduate. Pretty much every class in that program covers one domain of the CISSP exam. By the time you graduate, you will know 90% of the exam material.
John L. Watson
Earned: WGU: BS-NOS (2019), WGU: MS-CSIA (2021)
Current Programs: UC: PhD in InfoSec (2025), AMA: DIT (2024), ENEB: MBA (2023)
Exam Priority: CEH (Practical), PMP, CISA, CISM
Future Plans: TBD - maybe an MS in Cannabis Science & Business, sounds like fun!
LinkedIn
Omni Transcript
Credly Badges
[-] The following 9 users Like jamshid666's post:
  • akr680, allvia, FastTrackDegree, inf, katsiki, MahoganySEO, MNomadic, MuadDib, quigongene
Congrats fellow CISSP!!! Out of curiosity, what is the test like now? When I sat it in 2004, it was 300 questions in 6 hours on Scantron.
Up next:  WGU MSCSIA - Early 2023
Dropped:  WGU MSITM - Wasn't my cup of tea
Completed:  WGU BSCSIA (started 10/1/2018, finished 01/11/2019), Pierpont BOG AAS (5/2018)
Journey Thread (MSITM): https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...TM-Journey
Journey Thread (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...ersecurity
Degree Spreadsheet (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/attachm...p?aid=2602

(09-27-2021, 10:37 AM)quigongene Wrote: Congrats fellow CISSP!!!  Out of curiosity, what is the test like now?  When I sat it in 2004, it was 300 questions in 6 hours on Scantron.

I took mine at a test center in Raleigh. They've switched from the large number of questions and use a computer adaptive testing model where questions are assigned difficulty levels. As you keep answering things correctly, you get progressively harder questions. It reaches a maximum of 150 questions and you have a three hour time limit. I finished it in one hour after answering the 100th question. That freaked me out, as I was expecting to get to 150 questions. When I answered the 100th question and the screen popped up telling me to get my score report from the front desk, I thought for sure I had failed. Then when I went up to the front desk, the receptionist had a blank expression on her face and handed me a score report that was folder over. I thought she was saving me from a bad score by folding it over. I was extremely relieved once I opened the report and saw that I had passed!
John L. Watson
Future Plans: TBD - maybe an MS in Cannabis Science & Business, sounds like fun!
LinkedIn
Omni Transcript
Credly Badges
[-] The following 6 users Like jamshid666's post:
  • jch, katsiki, MahoganySEO, Novo, Pikachu, quigongene
(09-27-2021, 10:43 AM)jamshid666 Wrote:
(09-27-2021, 10:37 AM)quigongene Wrote: Congrats fellow CISSP!!!  Out of curiosity, what is the test like now?  When I sat it in 2004, it was 300 questions in 6 hours on Scantron.

I took mine at a test center in Raleigh. They've switched from the large number of questions and use a computer adaptive testing model where questions are assigned difficulty levels. As you keep answering things correctly, you get progressively harder questions. It reaches a maximum of 150 questions and you have a three hour time limit. I finished it in one hour after answering the 100th question. That freaked me out, as I was expecting to get to 150 questions. When I answered the 100th question and the screen popped up telling me to get my score report from the front desk, I thought for sure I had failed. Then when I went up to the front desk, the receptionist had a blank expression on her face and handed me a score report that was folder over. I thought she was saving me from a bad score by folding it over. I was extremely relieved once I opened the report and saw that I had passed!

Congratulations fellow CISSP!

I passed earlier this month and had an almost identical experience. I appreciate the shorter exam, but it is very jarring and nerve-wracking the way the exam just abruptly ends and you're left waiting in suspense for the result wondering whether it ended because you did either really well or really poorly. I was so anxious, I reread the result several l times after unfolding the paper to make sure I actually passed!

My sponsor took almost a week to review my application and (ISC)2 finished their final approval approx. 1 week after that. It's nice to no longer be "provisionally" certified and I hope your review process goes smoothly too!
[-] The following 3 users Like BitWiseGuy's post:
  • jamshid666, jch, quigongene
Congrats on passing cissp. You got couple more letter next to your name.

Sent from my phone using DegreeForum.net mobile app
NEXT: Considering DBA, DIT or PhD
In Progress: MSU MBA
                   Master in Project Management, University Isabel I / ENEB
                   Master in Big Data and Business Intelligent, University Isabel I, ENEB

Completed: WGU MS-CIA 2022
TEEX: Cybersecurity 101 (4), Cybersecurity 201 (3), Cybersecurity 301 (3)
Sophia: Accounting (3), Project Management (3) Principles of Finance (3) 
Coursera: Google IT Certification, and Google Project Management.

(09-28-2021, 10:48 PM)Imbanewbie Wrote: Congrats on passing cissp. You got couple more letter next to your name.

Sent from my phone using DegreeForum.net mobile app

Thanks bud, now I need to figure out which post-nominals I want to use in my email signatures. I try to limit it to three so I don't look too pompous. Wink

(09-27-2021, 11:40 AM)BitWiseGuy Wrote:
(09-27-2021, 10:43 AM)jamshid666 Wrote:

Congratulations fellow CISSP!

I passed earlier this month and had an almost identical experience. I appreciate the shorter exam, but it is very jarring and nerve-wracking the way the exam just abruptly ends and you're left waiting in suspense for the result wondering whether it ended because you did either really well or really poorly. I was so anxious, I reread the result several l times after unfolding the paper to make sure I actually passed!

My sponsor took almost a week to review my application and (ISC)2 finished their final approval approx. 1 week after that. It's nice to no longer be "provisionally" certified and I hope your review process goes smoothly too!

My sponsor finished my review last night. He didn't need a week because the two of us worked together for most of those years. Now I just need to wait for ISC2 to finish their side of the process.
John L. Watson
LinkedIn
Omni Transcript
Credly Badges
(09-27-2021, 09:17 AM)jamshid666 Wrote: For everyone here that is taking the MS-CSIA program at WGU, I would highly recommend taking the CISSP exam shortly after you graduate. Pretty much every class in that program covers one domain of the CISSP exam. By the time you graduate, you will know 90% of the exam material.
Congrats!
Do you think it would have been easier or more cost beneficial if you would have taken the CISSP first then the MS?  Im debating on which to take first.
TESU - BA CS
(09-14-2022, 05:22 PM)inf Wrote:
(09-27-2021, 09:17 AM)jamshid666 Wrote: For everyone here that is taking the MS-CSIA program at WGU, I would highly recommend taking the CISSP exam shortly after you graduate. Pretty much every class in that program covers one domain of the CISSP exam. By the time you graduate, you will know 90% of the exam material.
Congrats!
Do you think it would have been easier or more cost beneficial if you would have taken the CISSP first then the MS?  Im debating on which to take first.

I went straight into the MS program as soon as I finished my BS since I was already on a roll, academically speaking. For me, I think it was the better choice to do the MS first as it gave me the proper mindset to study for the CISSP, allowing me to pass it on my first attempt. Had I taken the CISSP first, it would have delayed me starting the MS by at least 4-5 months and it is possible that I would have failed on the first try. My employer reimburses me for the cost of certification exams, but only if I pass. Failed attempts come out of my pocket. Considering that every class in WGU's MS-CSIA program directly relates to a different domain of knowledge covered within the CISSP exam, I feel that taking the MS first contributed greatly to my ability to pass that exam. Note that my prior work experience is primarily systems engineering and I've only started branching into security in the last several years. Although there is a lot of overlapping knowledge and responsibilities with systems engineering and security, there is a bit of a different mindset when it comes to the CISSP. I had to learn to approach questions from a leadership point of view rather than the technical viewpoint that I've had over the past twenty-odd years.
John L. Watson
LinkedIn
Omni Transcript
Credly Badges
[-] The following 1 user Likes jamshid666's post:
  • akr680