Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Patten University Undergrad I/O Psychology Progress Thread
I've posted a few progress threads in the past that have gotten bogged down due to my indecision about the direction I wanted to take my career in.

I won't re-hash all of my background again in this thread (if you're interested, more details are here), but I'm a late-40's HR professional with about 15 years experience (and 88 undergrad units completed - mostly in Psych, with no degree) who's become tired of the corporate world, and I'm looking for a substantial change of scenery, if not necessarily a huge change in careers.

In another thread, about a year ago, Jennifer (CookDeRosa) posted something that has stuck with me ever since (edited for brevity):

Quote:If I were writing the script, I'd do it differently:
  1. Finish Psych degree asap.
  2. Enroll in an online MBA program with 18 credits in HR, even if that meant extending my program an additional semester.
  3. Start setting up email job agents through HigheredJobs.com with key words/filters so you get ALL the HR teaching jobs - but especially those of the community college. 
  4. I'd apply to EVERY community college that offers business degrees with HR concentrations for in-person teaching, even before I'd finished my MBA - as long as I was in progress.
This is a solid paying job that could also open up a career ladder into administration if you chose, and you won't have to compete with the zillion others trying to scratch out a career as an online adjunct (4 figures).

Solid industry experience with a Masters IS EXACTLY what community colleges want.

I've vacillated quite a lot over the past 18 months or so, but I keep coming back to this idea over and over again. 

I recently started a new job, and while it's a perfectly decent job, it's also clear to me that I really want to do something different longer term, but I also don't want to start all over again in a new field. So I've finally committed to pursuing Jennifer's idea/suggestion, to see if I can make it happen.

A BA in Psychology is my easiest path to an undergrad degree. A BSBA would be more relevant, but would take twice as long to finish. I've hesitated to make this decision for far too long, and for a number of reasons. However, I recently discovered a "middle path" that should suit my needs perfectly - a BA in Psychology with an I/O Psychology concentration from Patten University.

That allows me to utilize most of the work I've already done, finishing more quickly, while also bringing my degree more tightly into alignment with my HR career. (I/O Psych and HR intersect in a number of ways.)

My new employer has a tuition reimbursement program after 1 year of employment, so I'm giving myself that long to complete the BA. (If I finish earlier, I'll pursue my PHR certification in the interim.) Once I'm eligible, I'll utilize the reimbursement program in tandem with money out of my own pocket to pursue a sub-$15,000 MBA with an 18 unit HR concentration.

From there, applications to various community college will ensue, and we'll see if anyone wants me.  Wink Big Grin

Several aspects of this plan (Patten undergrad, I/O Psychology, MBA-HR) are a little under-represented on this board, so I'll do my best to consistently report my progress.

I'm scheduled to start at Patten on 3/26. I have 7 transcripts for them to go through, so that might delay things a bit. Fingers crossed that I can start on schedule and finally execute this plan!!
Bachelor of Arts: Psychology - TESU (pending conferral)
120/120 units complete

SPHR (Senior Professional in Human Resources)
Anticipated Completion Date: 3/31/2019

Master of Human Resource Management - CSU Global
Start Date: 7/1/2019
[-] The following 2 users Like Nodaclu's post:
  • davewill, dfrecore
Doing the I/O concentration is a great idea. Also, good plan for getting your MBA paid for Smile

Although you're doing the undergrad and not the MBA at Patten, a number of us are very curious about Patten.

[-] The following 2 users Like Ideas's post:
  • davewill, Nodaclu
Well...Patten only accepted 51 of my 88 semester units, which meant I would have to take 23 classes to complete my BA.

In comparison, a TESU BALS or a BA in Psych will require 11 classes to complete. Then I can complete the MBA-HR at Patten, which is 12 classes.

So doing the math, I can either:
  1. Complete 23 classes at Patten and have a BA in I/O Psych to show for it. OR
  2. Complete 23 classes in total (11 to finish at TESU, then 12 for the MBA at Patten), and have a BA in Psych and an MBA in HRM.
When I look at it like that, it's a no-brainer.

So back to completing my degree at TESU I go.
[-] The following 2 users Like Nodaclu's post:
  • dfrecore, jsd
(03-18-2018, 03:15 PM)Nodaclu Wrote: Well...Patten only accepted 51 of my 88 semester units, which meant I would have to take 23 classes to complete my BA.

In comparison, a TESU BALS or a BA in Psych will require 11 classes to complete. Then I can complete the MBA-HR at Patten, which is 12 classes.

So doing the math, I can either:
  1. Complete 23 classes at Patten and have a BA in I/O Psych to show for it. OR
  2. Complete 23 classes in total (11 to finish at TESU, then 12 for the MBA at Patten), and have a BA in Psych and an MBA in HRM.
When I look at it like that, it's a no-brainer.

So back to completing my degree at TESU I go.

I was wondering how flexible Patten would be, their degree plans seem so inflexible with respect to the gen ed's, so I always hesitated to tell people to use them.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
I will say this much about them - they were incredibly responsive. Any question I asked was answered in less than 24 hours. They also accepted unofficial transcripts to do an initial evaluation - and that evaluation was also done in less than 24 hours. (Official transcripts are still required within 30 of applying though.)

I also got to look at their online learning platform, and while not perfect, it's very logical, organized, and well laid out.

I think that, for certain people in certain situations, it's a great option. After I registered, they offered to discount my tuition on the monthly plan from $350/month to $298/month for the first term.

The overall experience I had with Patten will keep them near the top of my list when it comes time to look at Master's programs.
120/120 units complete

[-] The following 1 user Likes Nodaclu's post:
  • Ideas
(03-18-2018, 10:49 PM)Nodaclu Wrote: I will say this much about them - they were incredibly responsive. Any question I asked was answered in less than 24 hours. They also accepted unofficial transcripts to do an initial evaluation - and that evaluation was also done in less than 24 hours. (Official transcripts are still required within 30 of applying though.)

I also got to look at their online learning platform, and while not perfect, it's very logical, organized, and well laid out.

I think that, for certain people in certain situations, it's a great option. After I registered, they offered to discount my tuition on the monthly plan from $350/month to $298/month for the first term.

The overall experience I had with Patten will keep them near the top of my list when it comes time to look at Master's programs.

That's really good to know.  I think, if you don't already have a lot of credits to bring in, then they might be a great option.  It's just for those who have a bunch that just won't "fit", it could be frustrating.  WGU is similar, except that they will take an AA/AS/AAS as a waiver of a lot of their Gen Ed's, which can be very helpful - plus they have a smaller percentage of the degree as Gen Ed's.

But I love that they're responsive, and their price can't be beat!
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Question. Do you have to follow a specific order on classes or can you take them as you wish?
(03-19-2018, 08:55 AM)xjarhead1999 Wrote: Question. Do you have to follow a specific order on classes or can you take them as you wish?

I can't say with 100% certainty, since I had pre-enrollment access, but based on the access I had, you can bounce around and take the classes in any order you wish, and/or work on multiple classes at once.
120/120 units complete

(03-19-2018, 09:56 AM)Nodaclu Wrote:
(03-19-2018, 08:55 AM)xjarhead1999 Wrote: Question. Do you have to follow a specific order on classes or can you take them as you wish?

I can't say with 100% certainty, since I had pre-enrollment access, but based on the access I had, you can bounce around and take the classes in any order you wish, and/or work on multiple classes at once.
When you start could you please give an update about that?
Last few days I've been brainstorming ideas about my school. Hard to explain but I'm kind of tied to my school for the business degree so I can't really transfer. It's going to take me until next August or so to get my degree. My school only allows 9 non-traditional credits to transfer into the major, leaving me with 36 I have to earn the slow way.
Thinking about doing something that seems weird. Considering signing up for same degree you have. I would just go for one term. I can't finish it though as I can't have anything more than an associate's before I finish my current degree. 6 of the concentration requirements appear to be direct transfers toward my current major. If I focused on that and the Psy requirements, I could transfer those to my current school and only need about 18 more credits with them. That would put me finishing my current degree by the end of this year.
Biggest drawback is I would only need a handful of credits to finish the Psy degree. It would drive me crazy knowing I would have to pay for another whole term just for a couple of classes. I wonder if in that situation they would allow me to finish the one degree and start working on another with the remainder of the term?
(03-19-2018, 09:56 AM)Nodaclu Wrote:

I went there for a term and the advisor would not let me change the class order. I can access to all materials up front, but i could not look at assignments or take practice (or real) tests until my advisor approved me to start the class, and they made me stick to their order. Not sure if it was just my person was a stickler, or if that was the policy.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Prompt Engineering Course by Vanderbilt University on Coursera LevelUP 2 222 03-23-2024, 05:28 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Graham School - University of Chicago Charles Fout 12 1,611 03-22-2024, 07:19 AM
Last Post: Charles Fout
  Accounting courses from CPACredits.com/Upper Iowa University inor 22 1,548 03-15-2024, 05:30 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  American Public University? nomaduser 33 2,935 03-14-2024, 07:45 PM
Last Post: Charles Fout
  Eastern University Self-Paced online Degrees natshar 2 596 03-06-2024, 10:03 PM
Last Post: jumlouh
  University of Idaho acquiring University of Phoenix bjcheung77 10 1,240 03-04-2024, 06:26 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
  University of California System Bans Fully Online Degrees davewill 23 3,605 03-01-2024, 10:57 AM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  LLB University of London Online newdegree 1 348 02-28-2024, 01:46 PM
Last Post: freeloader
Brick Want a bachelor's degree in 3 years? University of Minnesota, Morris is trying... Ares 8 482 02-24-2024, 06:04 PM
Last Post: natshar
  Metropolia University Common Problems Resolved mariobros1985 21 2,487 02-24-2024, 06:39 AM
Last Post: therightstuff