Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GA CPA requirements
I can not seem to get a straight answer from the board of accountancy, so I am hoping someone here has actual experience. Has anyone has GA accept straighterline credits towards their educational 150 hour requirement provided they are on a regionally accredited transcript. My regionally accredited university accepted them but they still show "straighterline transfer" on my transcripts and cant get a straight answer from GA if that will be a problem for CPA requirements.
(05-10-2019, 03:44 PM)boblsmith1234567 Wrote: I can not seem to get a straight answer from the board of accountancy, so I am hoping someone here has actual experience. Has anyone has GA accept straighterline credits towards their educational 150 hour requirement provided they are on a regionally accredited transcript. My regionally accredited university accepted them but they still show "straighterline transfer" on my transcripts and cant get a straight answer from GA if that will be a problem for CPA requirements.

can you copy/paste the wording that outlines the requirements? A link too?
I am mainly trying to interpret the portion below where it discusses online and correspondence course:

Course Requirements
CPA Review courses offered by regionally accredited institutions are only accepted provided credit is awarded for the course.
Commercial CPA review courses are not acceptable.
Correspondence and online courses are acceptable when you receive credit for the courses at a regionally accredited university. These courses must appear on an official transcript.
Internships in accounting are acceptable, but no more than three semester hours can be accepted towards the accounting requirement.
Upper-level accounting course credits received at the community college or junior college level are acceptable provided that the credits have been transferred to a four-year accredited university or college as credit earned toward a bachelor’s degree or higher, and appear on the official transcript from the four-year accredited institution.
CLEP courses are not acceptable.

https://nasba.org/exams/cpaexam/georgia/
It looks like they should be OK as long as your college gave you credit and they're on the transcript. That last line about CLEPs makes me wonder, though. If they mean that they don't take CLEPs even if they ARE on your transcript, I wonder whether they will indeed get sticky about other alternative credit.

I saw an email link on the page you linked. I'd try emailing the "GA Coordinator" a copy of your transcript and asking the question that way. I'd also try finding some sort of online community of GA CPAs (or CPA exam takers) and seeing you can get an answer there.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
I rec'd more details by pm, but I'm copying/ my answer here in the event that someone else is looking for help too.

I believe that the section under "Transcripts" is concerning. The first requirement says:

"You must submit an official transcript from each school you attended. Transfer credits are not acceptable; you must submit a transcript from each institution."

That means that credit laundering is not allowed - so to elaborate. Say you attended ABC Community College and earned your associate degree. Within that associate degree contained CLEP, Straighterline, and courses taken at the college. The college awarded your degree because they were a partner college and also had a nice CLEP policy.

So, you now are attending XYZ University. Your first 60 credits came over perfectly from your associate degree and you're getting ready to complete the bachelor's degree.

So, you submit your XYZ University transcript to qualify for sitting the CPA exam.

With near certainty, I can promise you that they will start unraveling your credit. The first transcript from XYZ will show associate degree as transfer credit - so the first thing they'll get hung up on is the ABC Community College transcript, which you'll have to send.

Once they've rec'd the ABC transcript, they'll see the other "outside" credit earned from CLEP and Straighterline. They have a policy against CLEP so those will get excluded, but they won't know what Straighterline is - so they'll ask for an official transcript. You'll send it, and it will be excluded on the basis of it not being an RA college (it's a business).

I hope I'm wrong, but whoever wrote the rules isn't a dummy- the wording is carefully curated. The line you bolded for me in our previous chat:
"Correspondence and online courses are acceptable when you receive credit for the courses at a regionally accredited university. These courses must appear on an official transcript."

can be interpreted to mean that the RA university is the provider of the course - as an example, many people use BYU's correspondence courses, and in this instance, that would be acceptable b/c it will ORIGINATE from BYU and be on a BYU (RA) transcript.

I know this isn't good news, but I hope it helps you on your way.
I agree with cookderosa's interpretation, unfortunately
Completed:
BA History & Psychology, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020
ASNSM Mathematics, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020

Up Next:
JD, Cornell Law School, Class of 2024

Link to all credits earned: Link
From years of experience in looking at this stuff, if a college doesn't accept CLEP, then they don't accept ANY other alternative credit (with the exception of AP, but it's not because of ACE). When I look at college policies, the first thing I look for is CLEP. If they don't take CLEP, you can forget everything else. If they do take CLEP, then I look for DSST. If that's a no, then all other ACE is a no. If DSST is a yes, then you can continue on to look for ACE (non-military).

All that to say that if someone doesn't take CLEP, you can rule everything else out too.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • cookderosa
https://nasba.org/exams/cpaexam/georgia/

"NASBA Advisory Evaluation
Georgia offers the NASBA Advisory Evaluation as an optional service. An Advisory Evaluation will identify any academic deficiencies in your education before you submit a first-time application for the Exam. Please visit CPA Central for more information about submitting an Advisory Evaluation in this jurisdiction. You must create a CPA Central user account to begin the Advisory Evaluation process.

Send any additional required information or documents to:

CPA Examination Services – GA
PO Box 198469
Nashville, TN 37219

You may just have to submit your transcript for a review and see if there are deficiencies. I'd look at University of North Alabama if there ARE deficiencies.

I am in Ohio and the Executive Director of my state Accountancy Board replied to my questions directly. I am sorry you are having so much difficulty!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Laptop that Meets Proctoring Requirements acamp 21 3,952 03-10-2018, 03:40 PM
Last Post: allvia
  Which one is most recommended for testing out General Education requirements- Study.c Driel 26 7,602 09-07-2017, 07:46 PM
Last Post: a2jc4life
  Lab Science Requirements KAnn 6 1,383 05-29-2017, 08:32 AM
Last Post: sanantone
  Will Penn Foster's General Studies Cert fulfill TESU's gen ed requirements? pennfostertotesu 9 2,453 03-05-2017, 08:44 PM
Last Post: dfrecore