Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Planning Bachelor Degree (through 1 of the Big 3)
(10-15-2019, 01:56 PM)Gojira5400 Wrote: Hello, I'm sorry if I'm posting this in the complete wrong area but I'm new to this forum and saw a link from the CLEP reddit community to come to this thread and ask questions on my degree plan for 1 of the big 3. My job requires me to have at least an Associates degree and preferably in Criminal Justice. I have been leaning towards Excelsior for the credits but whichever one would be easier and faster I'm fine with. I would be okay if it's not in Criminal Justice even though I would really like it to be since it would create more opportunity for me, the most essential point of this is to get an Associates Degree and eventually a Bachelors Degree as soon as possible. Over the past 2 or 3 months I have been taking CLEP and DSST exams, the following are the credits I have so far:

Analyzing and Interpreting Literature
American Literature
College Composition 
College Composition Modular
English Literature
Intro to Psychology
Intro to Sociology 
Untied States History 1
United States History 2
American Government 
Principles of Marketing
Principles of Management 
College Mathematics 
Intro to Criminal Justice
Intro to Law Enforcement 

If I were able to get close to a complete degree in Criminal Justice and take a capstone course or take any left over courses for Criminal Justice I would do that. My goal is to finish by the end of the year, if it would take much longer vs a different degree plan I would probably take that route instead. Again not sure if this is the right place but thank you for the help.

@Gojira5400 Welcome to the forum, I would recommend that you start your own thread - as this will likely get lost in the middle of this one (plus your goals differ greatly from the OPs)

(11-09-2019, 09:46 PM)SkaroFamily Wrote:
(11-09-2019, 09:17 PM)videogamesrock Wrote: You have over 120 graded credits.  You might just want to have Athabasca University evaluate them and see if you can just pay to graduate.  

http://calendar.athabascau.ca/undergrad/...am/bgs.php

LL courses can transfer in as UL courses.

Lots of your courses seem to transfer in as UL by using the course search.  
https://www.athabascau.ca/course/course-...ate/all/al
I tried looking them up online. Is this a creditable college? Have you known someone to go the route your talking?

@SkaroFamily I agree with videogamesrock on this suggestion. It is not common for people to come here with so many traditional credits. Athabasca University is a Canadian school, but it does hold US RA accreditation (which is what you want). Yes the general Application / evaluation fees are higher than the Big3, but if it turns out your 'already done' it would be a great savings. 

Also, if you do go this route please do come back and report the outcome so others can gain knowledge through your expedience.
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

(11-09-2019, 09:49 PM)videogamesrock Wrote:
(11-09-2019, 09:17 PM)videogamesrock Wrote: You have over 120 graded credits.  You might just want to have Athabasca University evaluate them and see if you can just pay to graduate.  

I tried looking them up online. Is this a creditable college? Have you known someone to go the route your talking?

A former board member used to promote this school, It has US regional accreditation.  It is a 3 year bachelor so your transcript would reflect 120 credits—30 in excess, but should be sufficient to get into grad school since you completed 120 credits and it doesn’t say 3 year bachelor on your transcript.  

Sent from my typewriter.

A former board member used to promote this school, It has US regional accreditation.  It is a 3 year bachelor so your transcript would reflect 120 credits—30 in excess, but should be sufficient to get into grad school since you completed 120 credits and it doesn’t say 3 year bachelor on your transcript.  

Sent from my typewriter.

(11-10-2019, 09:18 AM)SkaroFamily Wrote:

Sent from my typewriter.

Sent from my typewriter.

I jumped on their site but I'm having a hard time figuring out if I have enough UPper LeVel classes taken. I've entered in a few and it says they can't find them. Would you be able to help me with that?
They have a 30 credit residency requirement though or am I reading it wrong? Even for the 3 year Bachelor.
(11-10-2019, 09:51 AM)Bekai88 Wrote: They have a 30 credit residency requirement though or am I reading it wrong? Even for the 3 year Bachelor.
The page linked above says that the Bachelor of General Studies has no residency requirement
Completed:
BA History & Psychology, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020
ASNSM Mathematics, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020

Up Next:
JD, Cornell Law School, Class of 2024

Link to all credits earned: Link
0 course residency at Athabasca

Sent from my iPhone using DegreeForum.net

World lit
Patho
English 2
Ethics
Developmental Psychology
Business Communication - Corporate Communication 380

and your 200/2000 level courses should transfer in as UL. It would be worth the evaluation and since the exchange is favorable for the US dollar, it may be cheaper and Epstein didn’t kill himself.
MA in progress
Certificate in the Study of Capitalism - University of Arkansas
BS, Business  Administration - Ashworth College
Certificates in Accounting & Finance 
BA, Regents Bachelor of Arts - West Virginia University
AAS & AGS
[-] The following 1 user Likes videogamesrock's post:
  • allvia
The challenge. I don't know how many people will have 90 graded credits. That's a lot of graded credits when most people on this message board will have alternative credits from (SDC, SL, Sophia, Teex, etc). Even if someone has a graduate credit (graded), what's the conversion ratio, 1/1 or 2/1 or 3/1 into undergrad credit?
(11-11-2019, 12:10 AM)HogwartsSchool Wrote: The challenge. I don't know how many people will have 90 graded credits. That's a lot of graded credits when most people on this message board will have alternative credits from (SDC, SL, Sophia, Teex, etc). Even if someone has a graduate credit (graded), what's the conversion ratio, 1/1 or 2/1 or 3/1 into undergrad credit?
What do you mean "conversion ratio"?
Completed:
BA History & Psychology, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020
ASNSM Mathematics, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020

Up Next:
JD, Cornell Law School, Class of 2024

Link to all credits earned: Link
(11-11-2019, 12:26 AM)mysonx3 Wrote:
(11-11-2019, 12:10 AM)HogwartsSchool Wrote: The challenge. I don't know how many people will have 90 graded credits. That's a lot of graded credits when most people on this message board will have alternative credits from (SDC, SL, Sophia, Teex, etc). Even if someone has a graduate credit (graded), what's the conversion ratio, 1/1 or 2/1 or 3/1 into undergrad credit?
What do you mean "conversion ratio"?

Does the school award more credits when its graduate credits compared to undergrad credits?
Example. 3 graduate credits are accepted at the University as 5 undergrad credits?
Basically, I am trying to understand how someone can transfer in 90 graded credits.
For those not aware of Athabasca University in Canada, they do NOT accept ACE/NCCRS credits. All the courses an applicant takes must be from an accredited community college, 4 year college, or university.

The only or main "utility" for this is to allow someone to "teach" in Alberta or abroad. The majority of people going for this degree will NOT be continuing onto graduate school as it's not a 4 year degree, it's a 3 year 90 credit degree in "General Studies".

Further to this, the only program that does NOT require residency is the BGS mentioned above, it's a 3 year Bachelors of General Studies (no major, two concentrations/designations to choose from - Applied Studies or Arts & Sciences).

Another alternative in Canada, with 15 residency credits, TRU's distance/open learning options. All of their online distance 4 year Bachelors Degree require just that 15 credit residency requirement - there is no option for waivers and they do NOT accept ACE/NCCRS.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(11-11-2019, 12:52 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote: For those not aware of Athabasca University in Canada, they do NOT accept ACE/NCCRS credits.  All the courses an applicant takes must be from an accredited community college, 4 year college, or university.  

The only or main "utility" for this is to allow someone to "teach" in Alberta or abroad.  The majority of people going for this degree will NOT be continuing onto graduate school as it's not a 4 year degree, it's a 3 year 90 credit degree in "General Studies".

Further to this, the only program that does NOT require residency is the BGS mentioned above, it's a 3 year Bachelors of General Studies (no major, two concentrations/designations to choose from - Applied Studies or Arts & Sciences).  

Another alternative in Canada, with 15 residency credits, TRU's distance/open learning options.  All of their online distance 4 year Bachelors Degree require just that 15 credit residency requirement - there is no option for waivers and they do NOT accept ACE/NCCRS.
I have roughly 130 credits all from 2 year tech schools. I just want a Bachelor degree as fast & easy as I can get it. (I have a few job options that require just a Bachelors degree, doesn’t matter in what) What are my options? 
Thanks!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help - Math Degree for Grad School Frederico.Sandoval 9 584 04-03-2024, 12:21 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  New UK Bachelors Degree Online coming soon! Leedeedee 1 259 04-03-2024, 11:54 AM
  Cheapest degree in graphic design? blablablox 10 599 03-30-2024, 12:44 PM
  Online Ivy League degree programs that require less than a week on campus sanantone 27 5,688 03-16-2024, 06:22 AM
Brick Want a bachelor's degree in 3 years? University of Minnesota, Morris is trying... Ares 8 566 02-24-2024, 06:04 PM
Last Post: natshar
  Just 16% of community college students transfer and earn a bachelor’s degree Ares 6 497 02-14-2024, 01:13 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Atlantic Technological University Interesting Bachelor degree offering from Ireland durain 0 282 02-12-2024, 02:58 AM
Last Post: durain
  The First 3-Year Degree Programs Win Approval Ares 10 841 02-07-2024, 03:40 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  NA to RA Degree Plan Assistance McManus 8 2,225 01-29-2024, 04:59 PM
  After getting the degree Harrynguyen 24 2,818 01-13-2024, 12:25 PM
Last Post: ArielB74