Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Please help me understand how to quickly finish degree via the Big 3
I have about 60 credit hours available to transfer from Ohio University & Cleveland State from 1996-2002. I'm employed full-time but willing to work a 2-3 hours every evening to finish degree ASAP.

Some questions...

1. What are my best options to get this done as quickly and cheaply as possible? I guess I don't care about the specific degree too much, as I already have many years of work experience (I'm in the IT field). I'm just tired of having my resume overlooked on occasion due to not finishing. Maybe a degree in general business or something if possible?

2. Can I simply take exams only without enrolling in online classes and finish my degree that way (or at least mostly)? If so, are there specific degrees at the big 3 which make this easier? How do I know which exams to take specifically? Should I take the exams ahead of time and THEN apply to the university afterward?

3. If I must take online classes, how quickly can they each be completed? Please tell me that I can complete them at my own pace with minimal/no assignments aside from exams in a couple of weeks each and not on a lengthy semester-schedule.

4. How much time and money do you think I'm looking at to finish the last 60 hours of my degree if I devote 2-3 hours every evening to it?

5. Any advice on which of the Big 3 to choose or any other tips in general? I'm sure you can tell I'm new to the concept of online schooling!

Thanks a million!!
A lot of this depends on what major you want, and what kind of credits you have already. If you don't mind having a general "liberal arts" degree, you could probably study with InstantCert and take CLEP and DSST tests on your own to finish. The same would work if you have the bulk of the credits needed for a major.

If you want a specific major, please specify which one - the requirements and the way to do them online varies. Some can be completely tested out of and others will require you to take classes, you'll have to do one or the other if you don't have most of the classes for the major.

If you could clarify which major you are pursuing, or if you would be ok with any or with a general degree, we could help you more efficiently.
Thanks. I just updated my original post with this info.
Quote:"I guess I don't care about the specific degree too much, as I already have many years of work experience (I'm in the IT field). I'm just tired of having my resume overlooked on occasion due to not finishing. Maybe a degree in general business or something if possible?"

Again, cheap and quick is the goal. What are a few of my options and ballpark timelines/costs if I do 2-3 hours a day? I probably need about 60 hours after everything transfers.

Thanks!
I not an expert, but I'll tell you what I know. Wink

jkozlow3 Wrote:I have about 60 credit hours available to transfer from Ohio University & Cleveland State from 1996-2002. I'm employed full-time but willing to work a 2-3 hours every evening to finish degree ASAP.

Some questions...

1. What are my best options to get this done as quickly and cheaply as possible?
Test out of as many credits as possible
2. Can I simply take exams only without enrolling in online classes and finish my degree that way (or at least mostly)? Yes, I have taken about 11 tests but I am not enrolled yet If so, are there specific degrees at the big 3 which make this easier?I'm doing a psycology degree and I will need to take only one course(and I'm just doing that because I need to take a course from TESC to get a GPA from them). I've heard business is a good one too. How do I know which exams to take specifically? Look at the degree requirements for your degree from the website. If you go with TESC they have a list of which category cleps and dantes go where here When you enroll, they will give you an evaluation to make sure you got it right. And if you have more specific questions you can always bring them to instacert!Should I take the exams ahead of time and THEN apply to the university afterward?I'm going to take most of mine ahead of time.

3. If I must take online classes, how quickly can they each be completed? Please tell me that I can complete them at my own pace with minimal/no assignments aside from exams in a couple of weeks each and not on a lengthy semester-schedule.
Straighterline is the only place I know of with self-paced options, but they don't have alot of course options. TESC courses are twelve weeks. Charter Oak has 5 and 8 week courses (I've never taken Straighterline or charter oak so I'm definately not an expert)
4. How much time and money do you think I'm looking at to finish the last 60 hours of my degree if I devote 2-3 hours every evening to it?
It's different for everbody. I've gotten 51 credits in 4 months and I hope to graduate this December, but I spend almost all day studying. You'll have to see how long it takes you to study for tests.
5. Any advice on which of the Big 3 to choose or any other tips in general?
I'm with TESC and I don't know that much about the others.
I'm sure you can tell I'm new to the concept of online schooling!

Thanks a million!!
[COLOR="DarkOrchid"]B.A. in Psychology from TESC in 9 months
My degree plan: http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...elp-2.html
Thanks for the link to the list from TESC!

So, I'm gathering that since I have 60 or so credits to transfer that I should...

1. Apply to one of the schools and send my transcripts so that I know exactly which courses I need to graduate for each degree.
2. Find a degree that can be completed almost exclusively by testing out.
3. Then I simply find the equivalent exams and study for them and test out.
4. Once I've completed all the courses, send all my exam scores for evaluation and then graduate.

Does this sound about right?

Next...

1. How do I know which books to purchase to study for each of the exams?
2. How much cost do you anticipate me incurring for 60 hours if I can do this mostly by exam? I have no idea how much the exams cost themselves or what these colleges may charge to accept them as credit and then graduate. Please help!

Thanks so much!! I am ready to get started ASAP!
jkozlow3 Wrote:Thanks for the link to the list from TESC!

So, I'm gathering that since I have 60 or so credits to transfer that I should...

1. Apply to one of the schools and send my transcripts so that I know exactly which courses I need to graduate for each degree.
2. Find a degree that can be completed almost exclusively by testing out.
3. Then I simply find the equivalent exams and study for them and test out.
4. Once I've completed all the courses, send all my exam scores for evaluation and then graduate.

Does this sound about right?
Sounds good to me.
Next...

1. How do I know which books to purchase to study for each of the exams?
SPECIFIC EXAM FEEDBACK SECTION. It's a complete lifesaver. You have to be a paying member but totally worth it. Also free-clep-prep.com is good.
2. How much cost do you anticipate me incurring for 60 hours if I can do this mostly by exam? I have no idea how much the exams cost themselves or what these colleges may charge to accept them as credit and then graduate. Please help! CLEPS and DANTES are both under $100 (plus a small fee from your testing center). Excelsior exams are like $250? I think. You can probably get away with mostly CLEPS and DANTES though. I'm not sure about fees for graduation (I haven't gotten that far yet). I heard TESC charges a yearly fee for being enrolled even w/o taking classes, but again I haven't enrolled yet so I'm not sure.

Thanks so much!! I am ready to get started ASAP!
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
[COLOR="DarkOrchid"]B.A. in Psychology from TESC in 9 months
My degree plan: http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...elp-2.html
OK, so I assume I can apply ($75ish) and send my transcripts without "enrolling"? I read on a post that there is an annual enrollment fee of $900 or so and that most people try to be enrolled for less than a year for that reason.

So if I need 60ish hours...

$150 or so for application and transcripts (to obtain an unofficial review and find out which courses I still need to graduate)
$100ish for each exam x 20 exams of 3 credits each = $2000
$900 enrollment fee

So I could graduate for around $3k? Am I missing something? This sounds too good to be true!

And does anyone else see a problem with a 6 month or less time frame to take 20 exams with 2-3 hours/day of studying? Too aggressive? What degrees should I be looking into at the Big 3 that I can obtain by mostly testing out of? When people say you can't completely test out, do they mean all but 1-2 online courses? I'd do that if necessary. But I'd really like to be done with my remaining 60 or so credits in 6 months or so if I can. The problem is, most of what I have already would be the lower level general-education type credits - is this going to be a problem with trying to test out of most of the remaining credits I'll need?

Thanks again!
jkozlow3 Wrote:OK, so I assume I can apply ($75ish) and send my transcripts without "enrolling"? I read on a post that there is an annual enrollment fee of $900 or so and that most people try to be enrolled for less than a year for that reason.

Correct.

Quote:So if I need 60ish hours...

$150 or so for application and transcripts (to obtain an unofficial review and find out which courses I still need to graduate)
$100ish for each exam x 20 exams of 3 credits each = $2000
$900 enrollment fee

So I could graduate for around $3k? Am I missing something? This sounds too good to be true!

The fees are a little less at EC and COSC, so you may want to compare if you really need the cheapest thing. There is also a graduation fee and at TESC, a technology fee. Doing a degree plan for more than one school and comparing workload and cost is a good idea, since requirements vary slightly. It also depends on what credits you have, whether or not you are a state resident, other military or partnerships you may be eligible for. It could be less than $3000. There's a good cost comparison thread around here somewhere with many money-saving tips.

Quote:And does anyone else see a problem with a 6 month or less time frame to take 20 exams with 2-3 hours/day of studying? Too aggressive? What degrees should I be looking into at the Big 3 that I can obtain by mostly testing out of?

Look into the B.S. in Liberal Studies at Excelsior, the B.S. in Liberal Studies at TESC, or the B.S. in Individualized Studies at COSC. Those are probably the 3 options with the most possible testing out, and there are some very good degree plans here on the forum for examples, if you don't mind doing a search.

Quote:When people say you can't completely test out, do they mean all but 1-2 online courses? I'd do that if necessary. But I'd really like to be done with my remaining 60 or so credits in 6 months or so if I can. The problem is, most of what I have already would be the lower level general-education type credits - is this going to be a problem with trying to test out of most of the remaining credits I'll need?

I don't think it will be too much of a problem. Excelsior at Charter Oak have an Information Literacy requirement, but most people do it through Penn Foster because it's cheaper. It only takes a few hours. COSC has a capstone course requirement as well. Other than that, you may need certain courses to fulfill requirements within a major, but since it sounds like you're interested in a liberal studies degree you can get upper level with Excelsior exams, TECEPs, or GRE credit instead.

After your first few exams, you will be able to see what kind of pace you can maintain. I started with ~15 credits and tested out of my degree in 9 months. Your mileage may vary.
[SIZE="6"]~~ Alissa~~[/SIZE]
[size="4"]"Whether you think you can or think you can’t, you’re right." - - Henry Ford[/size]
[COLOR="DarkSlateGray"][SIZE="2"]DONE:
BS Liberal Studies, Excelsior College May 2009
[/SIZE][/COLOR]
Current website favorite:
http://www.careeronestop.org/
Great info! Are there any "Business" degrees of any sort that I can complete mostly by testing out? That would be ideal.

Alissa, you said you tested out of 105 hours or so in 9 months? I assume you took an online course or two as well? What kind of hours did you put in per week to accomplish this feat?

Thanks!
jkozlow3 Wrote:Great info! Are there any "Business" degrees of any sort that I can complete mostly by testing out? That would be ideal.

That does make it a little more difficult, since I know there is a mega-thread around here that I've seen business majors posting in for one hard-to-find course. I majored in LS, so I can't really elaborate...because I'm just unsure and I don't like to delve too deep into advice on degrees I know nothing about. But it's not impossible, and doing a search on this forum for business degree plans will give you TONS of good info.

Quote:Alissa, you said you tested out of 105 hours or so in 9 months? I assume you took an online course or two as well? What kind of hours did you put in per week to accomplish this?

Thanks!

The company I worked for at the time was closing over that period, but they still let us come in and get our hours, so I spent about half the workday studying instead. For some exams I just took the practice test and knew I would pass, so I didn't study at all. Other exams, I just breezed through the IC info and feedback, Others still, I put in three weeks hard time. The GRE was nine weeks of dedicated studying. It just depends on the subject and what you already know. Practice tests were what I used to gauge whether I was ready or not, and I only failed one CLEP (microeconomics), passed like fifty-odd others, because I was like an addict and continued to test even after degree completion.[Edit to Add] I only took one course, Information Literacy, through EC. It took me 2-3 hours? I think? I tested out of everything else.[/End Edit]
[SIZE="6"]~~ Alissa~~[/SIZE]
[size="4"]"Whether you think you can or think you can’t, you’re right." - - Henry Ford[/size]
[COLOR="DarkSlateGray"][SIZE="2"]DONE:
BS Liberal Studies, Excelsior College May 2009
[/SIZE][/COLOR]
Current website favorite:
http://www.careeronestop.org/

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What do i Do if an application asks for GPA with a degree from the Big 3? Crt 5 3,224 09-19-2018, 08:54 AM
Last Post: Johmford
  Transfer Credit towards degree @ TESU Supermind 2 2,871 09-14-2018, 03:30 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Help with figuring out TESU History Degree plan AJay5595 10 3,356 09-06-2018, 10:56 AM
Last Post: BAngieB
  Associates degree in Business - Options? allen3373 9 2,681 09-04-2018, 02:57 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  My Technical Studies Degree Plan SRES 17 4,889 08-31-2018, 12:23 AM
  BSBA in Finance Degree Plan from TESU UnbreakablyDetermined 2 2,784 08-30-2018, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Luiscastaneda25
  Has anyone been overlooked for a degree Crt 21 5,030 08-29-2018, 12:06 PM
Last Post: jsd
  Advice on Choosing a Degree Program UnbreakablyDetermined 3 1,971 08-26-2018, 08:06 PM
  COSC 2nd Degree Plan mb232627 5 2,337 08-24-2018, 12:55 AM
Last Post: mb232627
  TESU math degree plan. Am I doing this right? jakepg 9 2,695 08-23-2018, 09:20 PM
Last Post: armstrongsubero