Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Please help me understand how to quickly finish degree via the Big 3
Goodness me! Honestly, no offense... I would recommend the 'search' function
Set yourself goals, not limitations
Quote:1. What are my best options to get this done as quickly and cheaply as possible? I guess I don't care about the specific degree too much, as I already have many years of work experience (I'm in the IT field). I'm just tired of having my resume overlooked on occasion due to not finishing. Maybe a degree in general business or something if possible?

Do you have any industry certs CCNA, Security+, MCSE etc...if so those may qualify for credit as well.

TESC's BSBA Computer Information Systems Thomas Edison State College | BSBA in Computer Information Systems Credit Distribution is a doable degree with many test out options if you already have completed some certs/IT credits.
Excelsior - BS Business 2008
Son #1 TESC BSBA Computer Information Systems completed June 2010
Son #2 TESC BA Computer Science completed November 2010 Currently in Florida State (FSU) Masters CS program and loving it
No, I don't have any IT certs Sad

Can I still test out of most stuff with exams for TESC's CIS degree? That would be fantastic. Anything in Business (general business, management, MIS, CIS, etc) would be my preference so long as limited coursework is required.
For TESC's CIS degree you can test out of most of the business CBOK but to my knowledge no test exists to get you out of the capstone. The CIS concentration may also be harder to test out of though some tests (Dantes MIS, ICCP Database Administration, etc.) exist that meet the requirements.
I m edumakated thanx to distunce lerning.

MEd, Texas A&M University, 2018
MBA, University of North Dakota, 2014
MS, University of Illinois Springfield, 2010
BSBA, Thomas Edison State University, 2008
AS / AAS, Tidewater Community College, 2004
For TESC, you will have to pay an additional 2600 just to get the degree. I think at EC and maybe CO it's cheaper, but I'm not sure how much.
jkozlow3 Wrote:No, I don't have any IT certs Sad

Can I still test out of most stuff with exams for TESC's CIS degree? That would be fantastic. Anything in Business (general business, management, MIS, CIS, etc) would be my preference so long as limited coursework is required.

If they work for the degree, is it too late to get the certificates? (too time-consuming or expensive)
AS in 2010 and BS in 2013 at Excelsior College - Transcripts and Costs
MS Biostatistics in 2019 at Texas A&M University - Graduate School

Sharing Credit-by-Exam*
Resources Used - 20+ Exams Passed & General GRE
Practice Tests - Available for CLEP and DSST

* Link posted with permission from forum admin; thank you!
jkozlow3 Wrote:I have about 60 credit hours available to transfer from Ohio University & Cleveland State from 1996-2002. ......

I think I have read on this forum that Ohio U credits are quarter hours. Is this true? If so, Excelsior and TESC are on the semester hour system and quarter hours are given less than 1 full credit each. I'm sure we'll find a way to help you make up the difference quickly, though, if this applies to your situation.
AS in 2010 and BS in 2013 at Excelsior College - Transcripts and Costs
MS Biostatistics in 2019 at Texas A&M University - Graduate School

Sharing Credit-by-Exam*
Resources Used - 20+ Exams Passed & General GRE
Practice Tests - Available for CLEP and DSST

* Link posted with permission from forum admin; thank you!
NAP Wrote:I think I have read on this forum that Ohio U credits are quarter hours. Is this true? If so, Excelsior and TESC are on the semester hour system and quarter hours are given less than 1 full credit each. I'm sure we'll find a way to help you make up the difference quickly, though, if this applies to your situation.

Very true, and this does apply to roughly half of my college credits. However, I applied to USF in Florida back in 2003 (never ended up attending do to other circumstances) and they classified me as a Junior after evaluating my transcripts from Ohio U, Cleveland State and a community college. They are on the semester system, so when I say I have roughly 60 credit hours, that's where I am getting my estimate from. I am making the assumption that I'm about halfway done (give or take).
If you want to do this even way more cheaperer, check out this link:

http://www.degreeforum.net/general-educa...light=IAAP

If you can get these credits to line up with what you already have with little duplication, you won't have to do a tenth of the work you've lined up--and for a lot less $$$$.

I achieved a business degree from Excelsior and used CLEP, DSST and ECE as my primary sources of credit--along with credit-by-exam at a local community college and some old credits. You can click on the links in my signature below for more info on that, including costs, study tools, etc. Good luck!
My Excelsior Journey
Bachelor of Science in General Business, cum laude
Excelsior College
Geezer Wrote:Do you have any industry certs CCNA, Security+, MCSE etc...if so those may qualify for credit as well.

Yep. For instance, an MCSE and an MCDBA were worth 9 credits for me at Excelsior. Look up the "Student_Guide_and_Assessment_Catalog.pdf" file on EC's web site.

W.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What do i Do if an application asks for GPA with a degree from the Big 3? Crt 5 3,221 09-19-2018, 08:54 AM
Last Post: Johmford
  Transfer Credit towards degree @ TESU Supermind 2 2,868 09-14-2018, 03:30 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Help with figuring out TESU History Degree plan AJay5595 10 3,350 09-06-2018, 10:56 AM
Last Post: BAngieB
  Associates degree in Business - Options? allen3373 9 2,676 09-04-2018, 02:57 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  My Technical Studies Degree Plan SRES 17 4,884 08-31-2018, 12:23 AM
  BSBA in Finance Degree Plan from TESU UnbreakablyDetermined 2 2,780 08-30-2018, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Luiscastaneda25
  Has anyone been overlooked for a degree Crt 21 5,021 08-29-2018, 12:06 PM
Last Post: jsd
  Advice on Choosing a Degree Program UnbreakablyDetermined 3 1,967 08-26-2018, 08:06 PM
  COSC 2nd Degree Plan mb232627 5 2,327 08-24-2018, 12:55 AM
Last Post: mb232627
  TESU math degree plan. Am I doing this right? jakepg 9 2,691 08-23-2018, 09:20 PM
Last Post: armstrongsubero