Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Problems with webcam study.com proctor need help?
I took the final exam for the personal finance class but when I did it the image for my ID was blurry. It's not surprising since the webcam I have has never focused on things that were put up close to it. I proceeded with the exam but when I asked the proctor about it they said I would have to retake the photo. 

I asked if I could send them a scanned image of my ID and they insisted it be taken with a webcam even though I told them repeatedly that the webcam I have will not do a close-up focus on anything. They just told me to get another webcam. I have no idea what webcam to get that will take a clear image of an ID placed as close as they want it to the camera. 

Currently I have the Microsoft Lifecam Show. It's a nice webcam unless you want to put something up close then it's just a blur. There's no focus or zoom buttons or rings on the camera itself so there's no way to adjust it that I'm aware of.

If anyone knows of a cheap webcam that will take quality images up close like they want, can you post or send me a link? Thanks.
I use the Logitech C525 and haven't had any issues so far (ProctorU.) Great little webcam for the price.
[-] The following 2 users Like Sapientes's post:
  • fork, Yenisei
You might try using that webcam with really good light. My webcam will only do blurry shots of my ID unless I have great lighting, with the camera not blocking part of the light.

[-] The following 1 user Likes Ideas's post:
  • fork
There are apps that let you plug your smart phone into the computer to use as a webcam. I haven't tried it yet but it may be worth a shot.
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
[-] The following 1 user Likes MNomadic's post:
  • Muldoon
Also if your webcam has a good resolution, they might allow an image where the ID only fills half the screen.

Also check to see if you have some less good settings in your webcam software. For example, if auto white balance is off, or some other setting with focus/zoom could be improved.

Thanks I'll see if I can find an ap for the phone. I have a GoPro too but that seems like a lot of trouble to make it function as a webcam, at least I haven't figured it out yet. The OBS software refused to install on my old computer. :/ As for the MS Life cam, I think it's just a really cheap camera. Won't matter how much lighting there is, the lens doesn't focus on anything really close.

On the other hand, would the proctoring software know I'm using a phone as a webcam and shut down? It would be my luck someone would call or txt me during the exam.
(04-10-2018, 03:06 PM)fork Wrote: Thanks I'll see if I can find an ap for the phone. I have a GoPro too but that seems like a lot of trouble to make it function as a webcam, at least I haven't figured it out yet. The OBS software refused to install on my old computer. :/ As for the MS Life cam, I think it's just a really cheap camera. Won't matter how much lighting there is, the lens doesn't focus on anything really close.

On the other hand, would the proctoring software know I'm using a phone as a webcam and shut down? It would be my luck someone would call or txt me during the exam.
You could set it airplane mode for the test, or use an old phone if you have one lying around. Maybe the go pro could work?
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
All of my ID photos are blurry, even with an HD webcam. I haven't run into any problems with it yet, but I do have a couple courses pending longer than normal. Do they make you pay $70 for another test and retake it?
All of my ID photos were blurry as well, but there wasn't a problem.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • fork
(04-10-2018, 04:42 PM)leland.kirk Wrote: All of my ID photos are blurry, even with an HD webcam. I haven't run into any problems with it yet, but I do have a couple courses pending longer than normal. Do they make you pay $70 for another test and retake it?

I tried to ask that but the person I was chatting with didn't have a very good command of English. I eventually gave up trying to communicate with them, thanked them and left the chat. Supposedly they're going to send me an email with instructions on what to do.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Current Study.com Coupon Codes pws 67 40,355 03-22-2024, 05:10 PM
Last Post: GoBroncos95
  calculating grade for study.com course Omece 9 1,598 03-20-2024, 08:49 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  The official guide to courses by Straighterline, Study, et al: We want YOUR input! aviator guy 378 468,465 03-18-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: RachelB
  Disappointed with Study.com (Discrete Mathematics) legenwait4itdary 6 752 03-08-2024, 08:41 PM
Last Post: bluebooger
  Study partner wanted, incentive offered Simerion 3 365 02-26-2024, 04:14 PM
  Study.Com Upcoming changes to courses Vin 4 1,032 02-13-2024, 11:26 PM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  Study.com Statistics? rowan555 16 3,903 02-03-2024, 03:43 PM
Last Post: oh.golly.molly
  does felician college accept study.com credits? fraggle 4 592 01-31-2024, 03:47 PM
Last Post: indigoshuffle
  Study Managerial Accounting that Transfers to UMPI Indieblue 0 313 01-25-2024, 08:24 PM
Last Post: Indieblue
  Study.com vs Sophia - Time to complete RachelB 2 731 01-05-2024, 01:20 PM