Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question on Time
Aloha!  I'm using Study.com to complete some basics that I've clearly missed after an initial transcript eval that I received.  I clearly need a communications class (I knew it..one day I knew it would catch up with me that somehow I'd avoided one..lol) AND I need a Economics course and ethics.  I was wondering how quickly some of you are able to finish these courses on study.com.  I'm a little over halfway through the COM 102 (on SDC) and started it yesterday.  I've been watching all of the videos (sped up) and then taking the quizzes at the end.  Is there a better method?  Maybe I just haven't seen the advice on how to take courses on SDC, but I'm just trying to find a good pace to finish these three and add in a few more that I'm interested in before the end of the month. 

Any advice is greatly appreciated!  I'm also not opposed to using something like SL or any other site that will transfer to TESU, COSC or WGU.  I will be attending one of those three and just need it to transfer to one of them.  I do want to get my bachelor's quickly (as I mentioned in my posts before), but I'm also planning to do another degree after that.  I think I've been bitten by the education bug.

Mahalo!
I can knock out a SDC course in a Day easily. I never bothered with the videos, just went straight to the quizzes. COM probalby has some assignments, so that will take a bit longer.
(02-01-2020, 07:23 PM)tjguitar85 Wrote: I can knock out a SDC course in a Day easily. I never bothered with the videos, just went straight to the quizzes. COM probalby has some assignments, so that will take a bit longer.

Wow, that's pretty impressive.  The quickest I've been able to knock out a SDC course is one week, and that's at about 4 hours a day of studying. I guess everyone has a different method. I use SDC for the subjects that I find difficult. Most of the subjects I know quite a bit about, I go right to the practice tests to gage if I am ready for proctor.
WGU MBA 2022
WGU BSBA IT Management 2021
I'm done with school for a while. Time to go make some $ now!

(02-01-2020, 07:23 PM)tjguitar85 Wrote: I can knock out a SDC course in a Day easily. I never bothered with the videos, just went straight to the quizzes. COM probalby has some assignments, so that will take a bit longer.
Ok...I'm clearly missing something because I don't see any assignments....Where do they show up?  I feel like an idiot asking, but I don't see them on the dashboard for the course.

Mahalo!!

(02-01-2020, 09:15 PM)GizmoJack Wrote:

Wow, that's pretty impressive.  The quickest I've been able to knock out a SDC course is one week, and that's at about 4 hours a day of studying. I guess everyone has a different method. I use SDC for the subjects that I find difficult. Most of the subjects I know quite a bit about, I go right to the practice tests to gage if I am ready for proctor.

I agree, I don't think I could do one in a day (unless it was nursing related, which would probably be really easy for me).  I'm planning a week per course right now, but apparently (as I posted above) there are assignments that I will have to do (once I find them..LOL).

:-)
It all depends if you know the subject material or not, if it's something that interests you, or if it's something you'r passionate about learning, it'll be easier/faster as you're more inclined to learn more about it. Those are the courses that I would take my time in learning to get the concepts and so on, the ones I "know really well" I try to go through them as fast as I can just for the credit. I generally tell people to finish 2-3 Study.com courses if it has assignments (usually Upper Level courses), if there aren't assignments, then you can try getting more done in that month - so, at max 4-5/month, this is the same recommendation for StraighterLine.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 2 users Like bjcheung77's post:
  • GizmoJack, Hawaii5oh
Keep in mind that people like to brag about moving through courses quickly on this site. While it is true that some classes are on the easy side and can be completed quickly, most courses are not. Everyone's pace is different since everyone's prior knowledge, retention ability, available time, and passion for the subject is different. Not to mention, there are people who embellish their claims as well.  So, don't read too much into claims made by others.

In any case, don't set your pace based on what others say... it will just damage your self-esteem if you can't duplicate their claims. Just focus on what you know and study what you don't. It is more important to keep an even pace that you can maintain for a while. Don't try to race through the subject matter either. Rushing through the material and not really learning it won't do you any favors, particularly if you want to move into a graduate program at some point.

That said, one thing to keep in mind is that the lower-level courses tend to be more focused on absorbing the details while the upper-level courses tend to be more about applying them. This can be helpful when planning your study strategy. Knowing this also allows you to build on synergies. So, if you're studying several courses on the same subject, try to do them all together, with the lower-level courses first. Not only is it compounding your knowledge to make later courses easier, but on Study.com this is also valuable since you may be able to skip parts of the quizzes that were covered in related courses which may allow you to get through courses faster. This may not help the OP, but it's a good overall course-taking strategy.

Good luck.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
[-] The following 5 users Like Merlin's post:
  • davewill, GizmoJack, Hawaii5oh, Muldoon, TwinMom

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Question Promo Codes, SL vs Sophia Breaachh 11 691 02-11-2024, 02:36 PM
Last Post: Breaachh
  Study.com vs Sophia - Time to complete RachelB 2 680 01-05-2024, 01:20 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Study.com - Best Time/Cost Saving Strategy? kylan11 13 1,312 10-18-2023, 08:09 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Basic Question About Sophia Touchstones RachelB 10 1,838 10-09-2023, 10:46 AM
  Isn't it about time for new Study.com courses? jsh1138 43 7,353 05-31-2023, 11:20 PM
  Google IT Support - course question and ACE rvm 2 922 01-29-2023, 05:08 PM
Last Post: rvm
  SDC BIO 101 - question on Labster Mr T 5 626 01-03-2023, 06:35 PM
Last Post: Mr T
  Study.com question - Biology 101L: Intro to Biology with Lab Mr T 6 1,471 12-31-2022, 05:27 PM
  Question re: SDC Computer Science 204 - Database Programming raekwon 6 1,522 11-25-2022, 11:51 AM
  Another Sophia Spanish I question uncapentin 4 860 11-16-2022, 01:49 PM
Last Post: uncapentin