Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Questions about Capstone
(06-13-2022, 05:09 AM)studyingfortests Wrote: Maybe I'm mistaken, but I got the impression that a lot of folks applied to grad school while in their last (or even second-to-last) semester of their undergrad.  I applied to both of the MSW programs about a month into LIB-495 and SOS-110, as they were my first-and-last classes at TESU. As far as I know, most of the grad schools I looked at were fine with applicants in their last semester or two. WNMU, for example, even allows students to enroll for one semester if they have not fully finished their undergraduate degree.

I waited until I KNEW I was actually graduating to apply to grad schools. I was more than half way through my last session/semester when I applied. Some programs require your degree to be conferred before they will accept you or will conditionally accept you. The vast majority of schools will not let you enroll until they receive your final official transcript showing that your degree has been conferred.
(05-26-2022, 02:33 PM)Michelle779 Wrote: I start my Capstone class on Monday & I'm a bit nervous because of all the work I hear it involves. I've already told myself I'm giving up my entire summer to get this course done. I'm taking Cornerstone too but it looks like the workload isn't as tough so I'm not too worried.

Anyway, my questions for Capstone are:

Is there a textbook required? If so how much is it? I think I found the answer to this one.
For your research paper, are you allowed to choose your own topic or do you have to choose from a list of pre-approved topics? 
How many pages is the final paper?

ETA:

I came across an old syllabus that might have answer some of my questions. It's from 2019 so it might be out of date.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1m5uA...-IWV0/edit

Anyone who recently took Capstone please share your experience.

Congrats to have made it so far and good luck on the Capstone!  I took mine with Dr Hansen and she was awesome!  I hate writing and felt the dread the minute I signed up. (I also did the SOS-101 or 110 whatever it was called at the time, during this same time). You are doing your papers in chunks over each week so it doesn't seem as daunting as when you hear someone say it's a giant sized amount. Mine was on Childhood Obesity in the US and it was 35 pages. I found the hardest part was putting all the pieces together and not sounding repetitive but there was no way around it. We also had to do a presentation in our class. Not sure if that is still a requirement.

You'll do great!  Best of luck!
Amberton University, MS Human Relations & Business
Started June 2022

TESU BALS completed March 2020
Study.com (24) StraighterLine (33) Sophia (10) SHU and GCU (26) TEEX (6) Coopersmith (12) CSMLearn (3) TESU (6)
[-] The following 1 user Likes suzycupcake's post:
  • Michelle779
(06-13-2022, 05:09 AM)studyingfortests Wrote:
(06-12-2022, 08:25 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: @fmsoa, I see this is your first post, mind me asking why you were applying to grad school when you're not fully finished your Bachelors?  I know many people would apply when they're done with the courses and just waiting for the "formal" process to complete. 

Maybe I'm mistaken, but I got the impression that a lot of folks applied to grad school while in their last (or even second-to-last) semester of their undergrad.  I applied to both of the MSW programs about a month into LIB-495 and SOS-110, as they were my first-and-last classes at TESU. As far as I know, most of the grad schools I looked at were fine with applicants in their last semester or two. WNMU, for example, even allows students to enroll for one semester if they have not fully finished their undergraduate degree.

You quoted a portion of my post, the other sentence right after that mentioned the opposite is also true... I would still highly recommend when applying to "have all the requirements" completed before applying, if they're not "firm" on the degree completion, then apply, if they are, then apply after conferral. ss20ts also explained the same thing in post #11, it basically goes both or either ways...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(06-14-2022, 01:46 AM)fmsoa Wrote:
(06-13-2022, 05:09 AM)studyingfortests Wrote:
(06-12-2022, 08:25 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: @fmsoa, I see this is your first post, mind me asking why you were applying to grad school when you're not fully finished your Bachelors?  I know many people would apply when they're done with the courses and just waiting for the "formal" process to complete. 

Maybe I'm mistaken, but I got the impression that a lot of folks applied to grad school while in their last (or even second-to-last) semester of their undergrad.  I applied to both of the MSW programs about a month into LIB-495 and SOS-110, as they were my first-and-last classes at TESU. As far as I know, most of the grad schools I looked at were fine with applicants in their last semester or two. WNMU, for example, even allows students to enroll for one semester if they have not fully finished their undergraduate degree.

Do you still have the sample WA (i.e Yazidi refugees research) from Dr. Black? I only dl the first 2 sample WAs and once I dropped the course, access was gone right away along with 1/2 of the tuition

Yes, pretty sure I do.  Would you like me to send it to you? If so, PM me with your email
(06-13-2022, 02:28 AM)lol LevelUP Wrote: I wouldn't say you have to give up your entire summer for these 2 courses but certainly make sure to put in enough time to meet the deadlines. 

I advise for SOS-100 getting all the quizzes, Nimble, and MyLab stuff in the first 2 weeks to reduce stress.

https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...Experience
what is a reasonable expectation for time commitment for the capstone ?
Pats20 Wrote:what is a reasonable expectation for time commitment for the capstone ?

This is my answer from my previous post, I would suggest putting in about that amount: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...#pid369003
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(06-29-2022, 09:24 PM)Pats20 Wrote:
(06-13-2022, 02:28 AM)lol LevelUP Wrote: I wouldn't say you have to give up your entire summer for these 2 courses but certainly make sure to put in enough time to meet the deadlines. 

I advise for SOS-100 getting all the quizzes, Nimble, and MyLab stuff in the first 2 weeks to reduce stress.

https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...Experience
what is a reasonable expectation for time commitment for the capstone ?

I would say it takes 80hrs to do the capstone +/- 20hrs.

Some students reported it took 120 hours, depending on how fast they wrote and if they took their time on the capstone.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
80-120 hrs. Okay great. Thanks guys.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Business 421 capstone | TESU | Tips from our members akr680 15 2,291 04-04-2024, 08:08 AM
Last Post: Kones
  LIB 4950 Capstone GS or OL evenFair23 9 529 03-31-2024, 12:07 AM
Last Post: ivanswk78
  Transfer to TESU Questions homeschoolmom1 14 822 02-20-2024, 06:18 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
Lightbulb TESU - Course Transfer Questions mweichert 12 1,030 02-15-2024, 03:02 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Liberal Arts Capstone resistk 15 1,371 12-18-2023, 02:38 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Register for Capstone Kones 12 1,116 12-04-2023, 08:20 PM
Last Post: resistk
  French international student questions about TESU BACS azuki 19 1,872 11-03-2023, 10:25 AM
  International students would like to ask some questions. Ron9 4 774 11-02-2023, 11:25 AM
  Study.com Transfer to TESU Questions Carnation 14 1,635 11-01-2023, 04:50 PM
Last Post: Pats20
  few questions about TESU sekiflying 3 436 08-20-2023, 11:13 AM