Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reputable Job Boards - Suggestions
Hey forum-

I had thought I had secured a perm job but the hiring freeze has put it on hold.

Now it's time to start sending out my resume again.

Goal: To break into IT.

Experience: Volunteer Computer tech experience, customer service, and administration.

Certifications: none. I will be taking Network + in April, Security + in May, and CCNA at the end of September.

Do you guys have any suggestions on job boards, ways to send my resume out and have it be seen?

Has anyone used Ziprecruiter? I'm hearing mixed things about it?
SO I already got contacted for an interview to a company I did not apply to. Zenir business consulting. After a quick google search it looks to be a door to door salesman like Cutco. No thanks!

I did contact a few temp/staffing agencies. They seem really helpful. - Now I am a little ignorant about how staffing agencies work but I assume they just take a little bit off the top. So if company A would normally hire me for 45,000 a year than if I go through the agency I might only get 40,000.

Sources are saying that Dice, Indeed, Linkend, Monster, Simply Hired are good resources.
yb1 Wrote:it looks to be a door to door salesman

I can't believe these still exist.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
Has anyone heard of Aerotek and Teksystems?

Are recruiters to be trusted?

Google has mixed reviews.

I'd rather not waste my time, money, and energy getting myself in some upsetting situation lol.

reading through this makes me skeptical

https://www.reddit.com/r/sysadmin/commen...eksystems/
It sounds like you are looking for something entry level into that industry. A staffing agency isn't a bad solution. At least the jobs will be legitimate. So much of what is posted on monster/careerbuilder/etc are scams or crazy door-to-door sales type jobs. I've never personally had success using one of those sites (although you can try - just know you'll have to do a little research on each company first). I have had success using a staffing agency, networking through linkedin, and going directly to a companies website and applying directly to them. I don't know what industry you want to get into but think about big insurance companies, banks, other large companies that hire IT and start perusing their employment pages. If you know anyone who works for anyone leverage that relationship to see if they know of something that hasn't been posted yet. You'll definitely have better success the more education and certifications you have but that doesn't mean you can't start looking. You might have to start out in another department / job function until you have the experience.
MTS             Nations University - September 2018
BA.LS.SS     Thomas Edison State University -September 2017
rlw74 Wrote:It sounds like you are looking for something entry level into that industry. A staffing agency isn't a bad solution. At least the jobs will be legitimate. So much of what is posted on monster/careerbuilder/etc are scams or crazy door-to-door sales type jobs. I've never personally had success using one of those sites (although you can try - just know you'll have to do a little research on each company first). I have had success using a staffing agency, networking through linkedin, and going directly to a companies website and applying directly to them. I don't know what industry you want to get into but think about big insurance companies, banks, other large companies that hire IT and start perusing their employment pages. If you know anyone who works for anyone leverage that relationship to see if they know of something that hasn't been posted yet. You'll definitely have better success the more education and certifications you have but that doesn't mean you can't start looking. You might have to start out in another department / job function until you have the experience.

Thank you- this was good advice all around.
Look at the forum techexams.net if you haven't already: I'm not even in IT but I read it daily. It has a lot of good stuff on there and maybe someone can help you out. Are you under the government hiring freeze? If so why not look at contractors on bases such as L3, Dyncorp, M1, etc. Also, not sure if you want to stay stateside but on techexame there is a large group of people of go overseas and work with Vectrus. Best of luck.
If there's one thing I know how to do, it's search for jobs. I haven't really gotten deep into Dice because I haven't gotten all that serious with hunting for IT jobs, but I have interviewed for IT jobs.

My main go-to websites are government websites. I had an interview about a year ago with a law enforcement agency for a forensic computer examiner job. However, I've found that state, municipal, and county governments normally don't have entry-level jobs in IT other than internships that may or not be paid. The federal government was the best place to look, but there's the hiring freeze.

My next favorite place to look is Indeed. Monster and Careerbuilder should go out of business. Those websites haven't been decent in years. Indeed works differently from most other job boards in that most of the jobs on the website aren't posted there. Indeed mines for these job openings. I've set up keyword searches that automatically come to me daily or weekly. For IT jobs, I've put in the keywords "information technology" and "information systems" since I'll be earning the CIS degree. Make sure to use the quotes so that you get exact matches for phrases. Another good keyword is "entry-level."

Craigslist gets a bad rap for scam postings, but I've found a lot of legitimate jobs there. I got a job offer with the National Domestic Violence Hotline, the for-profit college I ended up working at for a year, a technical support position for a contract with Verizon, and a security officer position years ago with a homeless shelter. The technical support section is a good place to find entry-level positions. Most of the misleading sales jobs are in the business & management, marketing/pr, customer service, and sales/biz dev sections.

When I'm not familiar with a company, I normally search for reviews on Glassdoor. Indeed also has employee reviews. If the employer is really a scam, you'll see them pop up on complaint websites with a Google search.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
sanantone Wrote:If there's one thing I know how to do, it's search for jobs. I haven't really gotten deep into Dice because I haven't gotten all that serious with hunting for IT jobs, but I have interviewed for IT jobs.

My main go-to websites are government websites. I had an interview about a year ago with a law enforcement agency for a forensic computer examiner job. However, I've found that state, municipal, and county governments normally don't have entry-level jobs in IT other than internships that may or not be paid. The federal government was the best place to look, but there's the hiring freeze.

My next favorite place to look is Indeed. Monster and Careerbuilder should go out of business. Those websites haven't been decent in years. Indeed works differently from most other job boards in that most of the jobs on the website aren't posted there. Indeed mines for these job openings. I've set up keyword searches that automatically come to me daily or weekly. For IT jobs, I've put in the keywords "information technology" and "information systems" since I'll be earning the CIS degree. Make sure to use the quotes so that you get exact matches for phrases. Another good keyword is "entry-level."

Craigslist gets a bad rap for scam postings, but I've found a lot of legitimate jobs there. I got a job offer with the National Domestic Violence Hotline, the for-profit college I ended up working at for a year, a technical support position for a contract with Verizon, and a security officer position years ago with a homeless shelter. The technical support section is a good place to find entry-level positions. Most of the misleading sales jobs are in the business & management, marketing/pr, customer service, and sales/biz dev sections.

When I'm not familiar with a company, I normally search for reviews on Glassdoor. Indeed also has employee reviews. If the employer is really a scam, you'll see them pop up on complaint websites with a Google search.

You have it down to a science. I am going to do that Indeed suggestion tonight. Thanks. You are a true hustler and a great one at that.

tsimmns Wrote:Look at the forum techexams.net if you haven't already: I'm not even in IT but I read it daily. It has a lot of good stuff on there and maybe someone can help you out. Are you under the government hiring freeze? If so why not look at contractors on bases such as L3, Dyncorp, M1, etc. Also, not sure if you want to stay stateside but on techexame there is a large group of people of go overseas and work with Vectrus. Best of luck.

I am registered with Techexams it is awesome site. I am more of a lurker than anything. The job section can be intimitating and depressing. I see post on the gloomy state of the IT field, the struggle of not being qualified, IT professionals getting burnt out. I know that is silly but I get a little discouraged when I read through the job forum section. I will probably try and be more active on Techexams as I wrap up my degree.

I am under the hiring freeze, and I will be checking out some contractor positions. Vectus sounds interesting. I will check it out. Thanks for the advice.
My last two jobs have been through personal networking. The ones before that were from Monster, but that goes way back. I usually search Monster, Indeed, and, LinkedIn. For the most part I have given up on Dice and never had much luck with Careerbuilder.

Working through agencies can be a good way to get your foot in the door and get some experience. Becareful with the hourly rate, benefits, and PTO. Had an offer for 5k more then I was making at my old job, but health insurance was 100% employee funded and it sucked and there was no PTO so no vacation pay or sick days.

Placement through agencies into perm positions is different. You have your offer with salary, benefits, etc and normally do not have to worry about the agencies cut. That happens behind the scenes. It can affect your offer if the agency lowballs you to either make more profit or improve the chances of you getting hired over a candidate from another company.
Andy

---------------------------------

TESC - BSBA: CIS

Current Degree Plan
Complete:  TECEP Eng Comp I, Marriage and Family, Strategic Management, Networking, Computer Concepts, Liberal Math, Tech Writing, Managerial Accounting DSST MIS, Cybersecurity Study.com Macroeconomics
Remaining:  Waiting for credits to process

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cruise Advice/Other Travel Suggestions burbuja0512 5 1,415 03-19-2024, 01:52 AM
Last Post: Chimera
  Suggestions for Project/Deadline-Oriented Work kalishakti 3 1,443 03-09-2018, 05:51 PM
Last Post: amilitab4k9
  Christmas Shopping Online--Any Suggestions? sgloer 11 4,370 12-09-2017, 09:20 AM
Last Post: sgloer
  Taking my 13 year old to Europe to encourage travel and learning...suggestions? soliloquy 10 7,990 01-27-2016, 06:07 PM
Last Post: burbuja0512
  Thoughts, Suggestions, Ideas? LaterBloomer 4 1,342 06-03-2015, 10:23 AM
Last Post: alleycat
  Western U.S. Road Trip Suggestions CLEP101 13 1,994 09-19-2011, 06:03 PM
Last Post: LaceyLady
  PC Laptop Suggestions PonyGirl93 23 3,540 06-09-2010, 03:40 PM
Last Post: rickyjo
  lurkers.... on the boards creationstory 24 3,708 01-12-2009, 08:38 AM
Last Post: thatbrian
  Site suggestions ThatPoshGirl 7 2,903 02-15-2006, 10:39 AM
Last Post: ViolinGirl