Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SL: Chem Lab ******!!!!
cookderosa Wrote:this IS a joke post, right? That 5 grams of glucose is causing a medical reaction that in some way differs from when you eat food....every day? Unless you're on a feeding tube, I think the lab is reasonable- of course, I'm not a REGISTERED dietitian, so I'd never dispense medical dietary advice, especially in writing. Still, I'm sure you can figure out a way around it without invoking ADA protection.

No, it's not a joke post. And a dietitian would NEVER deal with this. An endocrinologist would, and only an endocrinologist would. I take a 5 hour glucose challenge every few years. Do you know what those are? Hell on Earth for some of us, and I pass out at the end of every single one, until they quit making me take them.

It is not about the amount, although more is worse. It is about the rate of absorption. That is why fruit syrups, corn syrups, honey, and so on is the worst for those of us with specific conditions. Glycemic index doesn't translate for these disorders.

The point I am making is that SL should know better to never include ingestion as part of a lab, and if that idea is falling on deaf ears, then there is no further point I can make.
jadae@wgu.edu Wrote:No, it's not a joke post. And a dietitian would NEVER deal with this. An endocrinologist would, and only an endocrinologist would. I take a 5 hour glucose challenge every few years. Do you know what those are? Hell on Earth for some of us, and I pass out at the end of every single one, until they quit making me take them.

It is not about the amount, although more is worse. It is about the rate of absorption. That is why fruit syrups, corn syrups, honey, and so on is the worst for those of us with specific conditions. Glycemic index doesn't translate for these disorders.

The point I am making is that SL should know better to never include ingestion as part of a lab, and if that idea is falling on deaf ears, then there is no further point I can make.

Off subject, but it's weird that they would have you do a glucose test instead of an HbA1c or wear a CGM (continuous glucose monitor) for a period of time. They have ones where you wear it for a week or two, and the info is transmitted to your doctor real-time, and then you give it back to your doc. Once it was determined that I had diabetes, my endocrinologist did NOT mess around with the stupid glucose tests (I had to do the 3-hour tests during my pregnancies). I now wear a Dexcom CGM, and LOVE it. I've never had better numbers, and feel so much in control of my diabetes. I know you don't have diabetes, but a temporary CGM might be something to look into for those tests.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
dfrecore Wrote:Off subject, but it's weird that they would have you do a glucose test instead of an HbA1c or wear a CGM (continuous glucose monitor) for a period of time. They have ones where you wear it for a week or two, and the info is transmitted to your doctor real-time, and then you give it back to your doc. Once it was determined that I had diabetes, my endocrinologist did NOT mess around with the stupid glucose tests (I had to do the 3-hour tests during my pregnancies). I now wear a Dexcom CGM, and LOVE it. I've never had better numbers, and feel so much in control of my diabetes. I know you don't have diabetes, but a temporary CGM might be something to look into for those tests.

I have done some of those, and some others, as well. I have easily had well over 200 blood draws in my lifetime, lol. When this was new to me and suddenly occurring and worsening, I also had insulinoma tests. Fun times. The reason for the challenges was more than just glucose. We need adrenaline, insulin, and something else. Forgot. The tests were not making any sense, and the pattern was that of the very rare insulinoma. A genetic autoimmunity was found later to be the originator of the chaos, and insulinoma was, thankfully, negative.
[-] The following 1 user Likes jadae@wgu.edu's post:
  • cookderosa
jadae@wgu.edu Wrote:No, it's not a joke post. And a dietitian would NEVER deal with this. An endocrinologist would, and only an endocrinologist would. I take a 5 hour glucose challenge every few years. Do you know what those are? Hell on Earth for some of us, and I pass out at the end of every single one, until they quit making me take them.

No, I have not taken a 5-hour GTT. Yes, I know what they are. Good luck on your lab and have a great weekend.
To save others the trip I took:

Quote:Reactive hypoglycemia, or postprandial hypoglycemia, is a medical term describing recurrent episodes of symptomatic hypoglycemia occurring within 4 hours after a high carbohydrate meal in people who do not have diabetes.
Reactive hypoglycemia - Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reactive_hypoglycemia

I realize you didn't come here to discuss the why, but the what; academics can be an inquisitive lot, and what you are expressing is something I would never have thought of.
Angel 
Bachelor of Arts in Liberal Studies Thomas Edison State University 2018
Cert in Emergency Management -
Three Rivers CC 2017
Cert in Basic Police Ed - Walters State CC 1996

Current Goal: new job
Working on: securing funding I don't have to pay back for a Masters.
Up Next: Toying with Masters Programs
Finished: First Degree

Older Experience with: PLA / Portfolios, RPNow, Proctor U, ACE, NCCRS, DAVAR Academy (formerly Tor), Straighterline, TESU, Ed4Credit, Study.com, The Institutes, Kaplan, ALEKS, FEMA IS, NFA IS, brick & mortar community colleges, LOTS of vocational schools...

My list of academic courses:
link

High_Order1 Wrote:To save others the trip I took:

I realize you didn't come here to discuss the why, but the what; academics can be an inquisitive lot, and what you are expressing is something I would never have thought of.

Exactly right, and thank you! Yeah, it can be a bi-product of other disorders. Neurological, endocrine, etc. Some really nasty neurological disorders can be remedied up to 95% through strict ketogenic lifestyle (mostly non-inflammatory fats, some proteins, and 25g or less of complex carbs a day). But if they introduce sugar, fruit syrups, or simple carbohydrates, even a very low ratio, they will pay for it dearly, and it takes out a week for them to get back on track.
cookderosa Wrote:No, I have not taken a 5-hour GTT. Yes, I know what they are. Good luck on your lab and have a great weekend.

Thanks. They allowed me to use water and a nutcracker LOL. I sent in a stock doctor's letter that is signed, that I keep for ADA reasons. They were nice about it. The gum was actually quite nasty. Old, hard and brittle. I felt bad for anyone that actually had to chew it.
Your disorder interests me. I am a super well controlled type I diabetic. I use a pump and a CGM I have experienced my share of hypoglycemia. And I have read an entire bookshelf on it.

I am curious if this is a pancreatic disorder for you? The Alpha cells of the pancreas produce glucagon that triggers the release glucose from the liver's glycogen stores. What makes me wonder if this isnt pancreatic in origin as well is your mention of your blood sugar going to 200. This indicates a delayed initial insulin response, followed by an oversecretion of insulin and then you Alpha cells not responding to the excess insulin. Now, I am no endocrinologist, but I really have a good understanding of these things.

For example, did you know that ~58% of the protein you consume is converted to glycogen and of course released as glucose? Does eating protein cause hypoglycemia for you when consumed in large amount? ~10% of fats are converted into glucose, does high fat foods cause hypoglycemia as well?

The point I am making is that as a type I who maintains my A1C under 6 as much as possible and tries to keep my blood sugar between 70 and 120 at all times I have to bolus for carbs, protein and fat.

Have they checked your pancreas for any non cancerous tumors?

As someone with interest in this field I am very curious about the disorder you are experiencing. have you switched over to a complete ketogenic diet? Do you carry a glucagon pen with you?
Working towards BA Psychology from TESU
Started 3/22/2017 with Aleks and the Institute
Started 4/4/2017 with Straighterline
72/120 credits so far.

Straighterline: 4/4/2017
REL-277 Introduction to Religion
ANT-101 Introduction to Anthropology
POS-110 American Government
HIS-101 Western Civilization I
HIS-102 Western Civilization II
HIS-113 American History I
HIS-114 American History II
SOC-101 Introduction to Sociology
BIO-208 Nutrition
PSY-101 Introduction to Psychology
STA-201 Statistics
HEA-203 Medical Terminology
COM-101 Introduction to Communications
BUS-301 Principles of Management
Study.com
Personal Finance
Lifespan Development
ALEKS 3/22/2017
MAT-121 College Algebra
The Institute 3/22/2017
PHI-384 Ethics -2
TEEX
Cyber 101 -2
Cyber 201 -2
PREVIOUS EDUCATION
St. Leo University 2004
College Comp I
Integrated Physical Science
Algebra and Functions
Cuyamaca College
Spanish I - 5
The Internet - 1
They tested me for D. Type 1, insulinoma, Lupus, Celiacs, and more. They were certain I had Celiacs, but that was just an allergic response. I have had ultrasounds, and so on. They already knew I had Hashimotos, and that wasn't the cause. The cause came from antibodies.

As a side note, one of the funniest things with that entire experiment, is an ultrasound. How those techs keep a straight face is beyond me. I'm sitting there giggling in that dark room, with cold gel all over my naked torso, and they are just like: :l Its a weird experience.

Yeah, I know about proteins. It doesn't have an affect, unless its made with corn syrups. It has more to do with the rate of absorption. Most of my diet is proteins and fats. It gets really difficult to be inventive. Some odd cases do cause RPHypo. Such as cheese. I am not sure what is happening with that, and it doesn't go full tilt. For example, if I have 4 cheese sticks, it will hit me at a much later time. 3 hours-ish. I ask why and the endos all just say they don't know. We don't know enough, etc. Not super helpful. However, it is always worse in the summer. I get exercised-induced hypo (almost drowned, so I quit swimming :[ ) Pushing oneself to the limit will also induce it. its very frustrating.

Ketogenic works best. I switch between that and mostly protein types. I cannot do either for more than 6 weeks, or I get stir-crazy and everything tastes like cardboard at a point. But the hard part with Keto is that you really don't think as fast. I don't know how explain it, other than propane works great for running the machine, but not for combustion in the mind, lol. I mean, if we're equating carbs to diesel, lol.

No, no pen. I have bottles of acarbose, metformin, alpha blockers, betablockers, neurological downtoners, hormone re-uptakers, etc. just sitting in a giant bag for years. (Yes, I should toss it, but its my reminder). None of them were effective, and some of them were downright awful. And then I started just refusing everything, except what already worked (levothyroxine, keflex, 5-HTP, and benedryl). You get tired of being poked, prodded, and tested. I probably should have something. There is no guarantee I'll wake up, but I always do.
Yes this all makes some sense to me. the protein chains (Carbon based molecules known as amino acids connected by peptide bonds) are converted to their base amino acids. Then thru a boring process not interesting to anyone who doesn't love organic chemistry (I do) some of the amino acids get turned into C24H42O21 aka Glycogen....... Now the liver is constantly releasing glucose C6H12O6.... which basically breaks glycogen into 3 Glucose and some CO2 and H2O and sometimes methane depending on how much gets phospholyzed.... anyway as you can imagine that means the protein you consume takes 3-6 hours to actually be converted from protein to glycogen and then released as a glucose rise. It does not require a powerful initial insulin response and this is likely why in moderate amounts you don't have hypoglycemia after eating a piece of chicken, and why most type II diabetics can handle baked or grilled chicken but not breaded (think fried chicken) without a blood glucose spike at all.

Antibodies suck. Autoimmune diseases are very difficult to get a handle on because they cause so many varying and inconsistent reactions. My type I not only attacked my Beta cells but it also thinks insulin in general is a bad thing and attacks that, so sometimes an infusion site will go bad for me due to inflammation caused by antibodies attacking the insulin.

I think your case is interesting. I have often believed there is more than 2 types of diabetes, and I am not even sure type II and type I are even related... but the point being something is upsetting your auto immune system between your pancreas and liver. And I encourage you to study the metabolism processes of those systems and see if you can find relief thru researching on your own, and getting support of either a really good IM Doctor or Endocrinologist.

Now as far as not thinking as fast, as I have shown your body will make glucose from protein and fat, and it will give alot of that to the brain. What you may be experiencing is insulin resistance of the brain. as with all disease there is a spectrum of expression of disorder and while full blown alzheimers as defined may never present itself it is also being proposed to call it type III diabetes because of the potential cause. Nothing to fear here as all adults have some insulin resistance but that never develops to the level of pre diabetes let alone type II diabetes.

Anyway, I hope you are able to figure it out so you dont have to live in fear of hidden carbs, or eating food only flavored in salt and pepper.
Working towards BA Psychology from TESU
Started 3/22/2017 with Aleks and the Institute
Started 4/4/2017 with Straighterline
72/120 credits so far.

Straighterline: 4/4/2017
REL-277 Introduction to Religion
ANT-101 Introduction to Anthropology
POS-110 American Government
HIS-101 Western Civilization I
HIS-102 Western Civilization II
HIS-113 American History I
HIS-114 American History II
SOC-101 Introduction to Sociology
BIO-208 Nutrition
PSY-101 Introduction to Psychology
STA-201 Statistics
HEA-203 Medical Terminology
COM-101 Introduction to Communications
BUS-301 Principles of Management
Study.com
Personal Finance
Lifespan Development
ALEKS 3/22/2017
MAT-121 College Algebra
The Institute 3/22/2017
PHI-384 Ethics -2
TEEX
Cyber 101 -2
Cyber 201 -2
PREVIOUS EDUCATION
St. Leo University 2004
College Comp I
Integrated Physical Science
Algebra and Functions
Cuyamaca College
Spanish I - 5
The Internet - 1

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Has anyone done the SDC Chem 111L course? alab21 9 2,155 03-25-2021, 05:54 AM
Last Post: mcorye91
  Straighterline CHEM 101 - General Chemistry lem5283 6 6,080 05-05-2020, 09:43 AM
Last Post: Rubinamulla
  Need 12cr of BIO & CHEM Faceparade 18 2,579 04-18-2020, 11:43 PM
Last Post: Faceparade
  Are there any sources for Cell Biology, Biology I/II, Chem I/II, Organic Chem I/II? Pelican 4 1,573 03-13-2018, 05:32 PM
Last Post: icampy
  Saylor's Intro Chem. & Intro. to Molecular and Cellular Bio. no longer ACE-approved! Nightmoves5 10 2,298 06-05-2017, 05:40 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  Straighterline Chem Review jadae@wgu.edu 2 3,804 05-05-2017, 01:21 PM
Last Post: jadae@wgu.edu
  SL Chem II jadae@wgu.edu 1 879 04-07-2017, 11:39 AM
Last Post: dfrecore