Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SMARTS/TESC a misunderstanding
I was under the impression that SMARTS, was a transcripts service. I was surprised TESC does not accept Regional Acredited courswork listed in SMARTS. They told me it had to come directly from the college you had attended.
I was told by SMARTS that you could have your prior military college or during military college applied into your SMARTS by just having transcripts sent to them. Ok, so I did this maybe over 5 years ago, and all is good with that. They have my military, and college coursework listed in my SMARTS transcripts. This from 3 different colleges. But TESC won't accept it that way. They want it directly from the college you attended.
The reason I did it that way via SMARTS was to save me the hassle of having to pound at each attended college doors to get transcripts from them individually. I figured by grouping them in SMARTS, it would save me extra leg work.
I can't understand why TESC does not seem to trust what is listed in SMARTS academically. I thought that was the reason of doing this.
It's nothing TESC does that any other college won't. You always need transcripts from the awarding college to go directly to the college who is planning to evaluate and credit them. It may be an inconvenience but that is just how it's done.
TESC: BS Technical Studies - Graduated March 2012

* I want to give this forum a big thank you, being a part of this community has helped me to achieve the completion of my Bachelors degree and has helped me in pursuing my dream of becoming a United States Naval Officer. I leave this message here in my signature for everyone to read and serve as a reminder of what this community, and the completion of a college degree can mean. I hope that the attainment of my dream through continuing education can serve as motivation for others. *
Ok. So what was the purpose of putting your academic grades in those transcripts? To possibly show and employer?
29palms Wrote:Ok. So what was the purpose of putting your academic grades in those transcripts? To possibly show and employer?

Keeping in mind I have no knowledge of things military, are there reasons that you'd need to show credits for promotions or rank? In that case it would certainly be easy to have it in one place.
Transcript services (even TESC's credit banking) are not actual transcripts- they are simply documents showing everything on 1 sheet of paper. It's not you, this misunderstanding happens all the time with credit banking.
I've been out of the military obligation since 1988. (6 years total obligation, 3 years active, 3 years reserves.) I didn't know anything about SMARTS since it did not exist back then. I believe they only started it like in 1995 or so. Maybe even later. I learned you could re-construct your SMARTS by providing them your schools, certificates, training, and even prior college BEFORE the military and DURING but not after.
So my guess was that these could be used as transcripts to a school. Why else would have I put college in there? I figured that the three colleges I attended would save me the hassle of having to provide proof from each individual college everytime I provided transcripts to colleges for assessments. I guess I was wrong. I am out of the military, so no need to provide these to get promoted or anything like that. Wish they would have clarified this.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  TESC Automatic Military Credit Eval Prloko 2 1,450 04-24-2015, 11:53 PM
Last Post: Life Long Learning
  TESC MDCP question GMT 5 1,317 09-12-2014, 07:08 AM
Last Post: GMT
  How to get a signed degree plan from TESC for MilTA? (USAF) OfficerA 6 1,986 08-11-2014, 08:32 AM
Last Post: bricabrac
  Post 9/11 and TESC 50% Eligibility mm1988 14 2,100 10-04-2013, 04:24 PM
Last Post: Vandalet
  USAF OTS application - No GPA through TESC cframe 18 3,250 09-24-2013, 10:16 AM
Last Post: Mexirican007
  TESC Management Degree/Aviation Maintenance Degree jeff080 4 1,331 02-03-2013, 09:02 PM
Last Post: jeff080
  TESC cost & MDCP defscarlett 5 1,069 01-28-2013, 08:47 AM
Last Post: Prloko
  TESC Military Degree Completion Program Change Prloko 2 1,064 10-19-2012, 08:22 AM
Last Post: Prloko
  commissioning in air force with TESC degree jemen 9 1,750 09-18-2012, 10:55 PM
Last Post: Spencebr
  Military Degree Completion at TESC (TA - Go Army Ed - Fees questions) Riley2012 3 1,170 09-16-2012, 09:55 PM
Last Post: dthom