Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SOS 110 Information Literacy discounted through edx Microbachelor
(09-06-2022, 11:55 AM)EdwardLong Wrote:
(09-06-2022, 08:21 AM)rachel83az Wrote: I think the idea is that if it counts toward residency credit, you can do the edX course first, then 13 credits in a flat rate term to get to 16 without having to actually take 16 credits at once?
On the website it says
‘Upon submission of this form and successful completion of edX MicroBachelors program courses, TESU will award and record academic credit on a TESU transcript. ‘

I don’t know if this counts towards RA credits.

I don't see the SOS-110 edx course listed. Anyone check ACE?
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
Interesting! I followed the links in the page the OP links that described getting credit and it appears you can get edX courses transcripted through TESU for free.

https://support.edx.org/hc/en-us/article...rsity-FAQs-

Quote:How does credit work with MicroBachelors programs?

When you successfully complete a MicroBachelors program, you will be eligible to elect academic credit from select colleges and universities that have reviewed and pre-certified the program. There are no additional fees and everything is handled digitally. Unlike the traditional credit model with MicroBachelors program you can enroll in programs from different institutions and bank all of your credits on a single transcript with Thomas Edison State University which you can transfer later if you’d like. This gives you more flexibility in choosing where you want to learn!

Reading the step by step, you end up creating a free "Individualized Learning Account" AKA credit banking.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
(09-06-2022, 02:47 PM)davewill Wrote: Interesting! I followed the links in the page the OP links that described getting credit and it appears you can get edX courses transcripted through TESU for free.

Quote:How does credit work with MicroBachelors programs?

When you successfully complete a MicroBachelors program, you will be eligible to elect academic credit from select colleges and universities that have reviewed and pre-certified the program. There are no additional fees and everything is handled digitally. Unlike the traditional credit model with MicroBachelors program you can enroll in programs from different institutions and bank all of your credits on a single transcript with Thomas Edison State University which you can transfer later if you’d like. This gives you more flexibility in choosing where you want to learn!

Reading the step by step, you end up creating a free "Individualized Learning Account" AKA credit banking.
Are those credits Regionally Accredited credits? As for the cornerstone course I’m assuming that counts as Regionally Accredited at TESU, which fills the residency requirement I’m not so sure though
(09-06-2022, 02:55 PM)EdwardLong Wrote: Are those credits Regionally Accredited credits? As for the cornerstone course I’m assuming that counts as Regionally Accredited at TESU, which fills the residency requirement I’m not so sure though

I wouldn't assume ANY of it counts as RA. They show an example of the transcript entries and it's pretty clear that they are giving credit for the microbachelors, much like they do for ACE courses or other certs. I suppose it's not impossible that the SOS-110 course is an exception, but we won't know until somebody does it.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
bjcheung77 Wrote:That's an awesome offering from TESU, it's free to audit, and here's the link for their edx transfers: https://www.tesu.edu/degree-completion/edx-credit  For those who are getting 16 RA credits for residency credits, that would be my recommendation as it would hit the requirements for RA, graded, and remove the residency waiver fee.  The residency waiver is already expensive, adding a little to that cost will provide you graded credits instead.

Elaborating on what I meant earlier... What I wanted to relay is that, you should skip this course at TESU and get the transfer credit from edx! Having said that, you should also take the 16 residency credits to get rid of the residency waiver fee, you can take other graded credits towards the requirements instead of paying the fee, this leaves you with another course to take instead of the SOS-110. Having said that, it is up to you to decide with this, to just pay for the capstone and residency fee, this edx cost $498 to graduate or do the 16 credit residency for about the same price, but you get graded credits, and if you need the 30 RA credits.

Edit to add: To answer questions, my thought is this edx course is not RA and will not come into TESU as graded. Most likely, just like any ACE/NCCRS course that gets transferred in would have a CR showing on the transcript, which just means you have the CRedit for the course requirement. It does not aid you with RA or GPA requirements, you should decide again to take the 16 credits residency for use towards the 30 RA requirements and to have these graded credits vs paying the residency fee.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 2 users Like bjcheung77's post:
  • Arto, Pikachu
If you scroll down on this page, you can see an example of how the microbachelors credits would look on a TESU transcript: TESU Assessment Credits

WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
[-] The following 1 user Likes MNomadic's post:
  • Arto
Do i understand it correctly:
  you can pass MicroBachelor with edx and transfer to TESU; Bring RA credits from  other institutions and ACE credits from alternative providers;
 Pay residency and take only Capstone at TESU?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Cofffeee's post:
  • Pikachu
(09-06-2022, 05:57 PM)Cofffeee Wrote: Do i understand it correctly:
  you can pass MicroBachelor with edx and transfer to TESU; Bring RA credits from  other institutions and ACE credits from alternative providers;
 Pay residency and take only Capstone at TESU?
I believe so.
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
It really depends on your needs and wants...
My calculations: By taking the Flat Term rate, you still come up cheaper
You just need to take the easiest courses along with the Cornerstone/Capstone
Note: The following are for In-State and Out-Of-State students

In State - Flat Term - TESU Fees
App: $50
Grad: $298
Flat Rate: $3,686
Total: $4,034

In State - Residency Waiver - TESU Fees
App $50
Edx SOS-110: $498
Capstone: $1233
Residency: $3288
Total: $5,367

Out of State - Flat Term - TESU Fees
Flat Rate: $4,778 (SOS-110 already included)
Total: $5,126

Out of State - Residency Waiver - TESU Fees
Edx SOS-110 $498
Capstone: $1,605
Residency: $3,288
Total: $5,739
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • Arto
Its nice to have option to take only Capstone if money is not an issue

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclamation Doing a TESU BS Information Technology Degree in One Term Is Now Possible! LevelUP 7 531 04-05-2024, 11:24 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  EDx Information Literacy not accepted for Computer Science SOS-110 mt_1994 23 2,275 06-25-2023, 03:03 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Contradictory Information Given by Admissions mariobros1985 6 738 05-10-2023, 03:53 PM
  Davar CS315 management information systems for tesu? CanICode 1 481 04-18-2023, 06:26 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
Lightbulb SOS-110 Critical Information Literacy My Experience LevelUP 29 8,584 02-23-2023, 05:35 PM
Last Post: AllThose299s
  TESU Advisor Telling me Wrong Information? Captainrekt000 14 1,417 11-06-2022, 10:14 AM
  Newly approved edX/MicroBachelor program (upper-level chemistry) carrythenothing 14 1,982 01-20-2022, 03:19 PM
Last Post: bluebooger
  CLEP Information Systems @ TESU Juju7 9 1,092 07-13-2021, 03:25 PM
  Equivalent to SOS-110 Critical Information Literacy at Thomas Edison State University thepoetvd776 4 1,226 02-17-2021, 10:09 PM
  Study.com - Library Science 101: Information Literacy pkmoose 4 864 01-18-2021, 10:12 AM
Last Post: pkmoose