Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SOS 110 Information Literacy discounted through edx Microbachelor
Personherebb9 Wrote:1) Will this count towards Residency requirements/RA credits?

I answered this in an earlier post within this thread. No and No, we can't expect a transfer course from Edx to meet residency requirements and it's not RA because it's not from a college/university, edx isn't accredited as such.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
I was planning on taking SOS 110 via edX as opposed to TESU so I emailed my advisor to ask if they could pre authorize it and this was their response:

All Edx MicroBachelors credit can only be applied to our BA in Computer Science degree. Here is the link to our site where this is indicated:

https://www.tesu.edu/degree-completion/edx-credit

I know that advisors are known for frequently being for being wrong but does anyone have any information on how to get it added in spite in spite of the statement that it only applies to BA in CompSci
[-] The following 2 users Like Bubbychub's post:
  • davewill, LevelUP
(11-30-2022, 02:14 PM)Bubbychub Wrote: I was planning on taking SOS 110 via edX as opposed to TESU so I emailed my advisor to ask if they could pre authorize it and this was their response:

All Edx MicroBachelors credit can only be applied to our BA in Computer Science degree. Here is the link to our site where this is indicated:

https://www.tesu.edu/degree-completion/edx-credit

I know that advisors are known for frequently being for being wrong but does anyone have any information on how to get it added in spite in spite of the statement that it only applies to BA in CompSci

I had a feeling there was a catch which is why I was hesitant to recommend taking that Edx course till it was verified it would work.

TESU advisers have been wrong before. That page doesn't show the TESU SOS-110 program.
Here is further confirmation that it does not apply at this time, below is part of what she sent me.

"Here is the link to the course information on the edX site:
https://www.edx.org/course/information-literacy

If you click on "Show More" under the "About This Course" section, you will see that the course is only accepted in our BA in Computer Science. Please let me know if you have any additional questions. Have a good day!"

And here is what you will see when you follow her instructions.

This course can be used to fulfill the Information Literacy requirement at Thomas Edison State University in the Bachelor of Arts in Computer Science Degree. It will not satisfy the Information Literacy Requirements in any other degrees at TESU.
[-] The following 6 users Like Bubbychub's post:
  • Arto, davewill, jch, LevelUP, lordajax, Michelle779
Not surprising. This seems to be how almost all of the various edX programs work. You don't get credit until and unless you enroll in (and maybe graduate from) the specific program. The only thing unusual about this one is that it supplies so few credits towards the program. It's like they contacted edX and asked what was the minimum they could do to have an edX Bachelor's listed.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
Just curious, has anyone tried to 'debate' or have a chat with TESU higher ups to verify only BACS is accepted. A few of their courses that come in through edx have nothing to do with the Computer Science degree.
Goals: TESU BSBA GM (Added CIS) and BA Computer Science
BSBA GM - Added CIS AOS (CIS & GM completed)
BACS & Grad Plans (BACS instead of BALS w/NSM)

AAS ACS & ESST: Remaining - Associate Capstone
ASNSM CS: Completed, ASNSM Math: Remaining - Calculus I

Taking a majority of credits at Sophia.org, SL, and Study.com to finish these degrees
Updating my courses remaining by following forum advice, guide, spreadsheet & wiki
Anyone know if this would work if you are getting two separate degrees? Like will they bring in SOS-110 for your BACS degree then because you have it brought in from the BACS you can use it on a BSBA? Can't find any information on it.
[-] The following 3 users Like CanICode's post:
  • ACI, jch, origamishuttle
(03-03-2023, 08:13 AM)CanICode Wrote: Anyone know if this would work if you are getting two separate degrees? Like will they bring in SOS-110 for your BACS degree then because you have it brought in from the BACS you can use it on a BSBA? Can't find any information on it.

This is a good question, so I'm curious if anyone has experience. However, I wouldn't risk it if the non-CS degree is important to you; just take the cornerstone at TESU. Students have already received different interpretations of the TESU rules for second degrees when transferring in a completed bachelor's degree from another school, then completing a second bachelor's degree and a first associate's degree at TESU. One student may be required to take the cornerstone only for the associate's degree, while another gets it waived. Because of this inconsistency it could be possible for one student to get a non-CS bachelor's degree with the transferred-in cornerstone, but the next student is required to take the cornerstone at TESU.
Pierpont Community & Technical College 2022
Associate of Applied Science - Board of Governors - Area of Emphasis: Information Systems
Western Governors University 
Bachelor of Science - Cloud Computing
Charter Oak State College
Bachelor of Science - General Studies - Concentration: Information Systems Studies
Thomas Edison State University
Bachelor of Arts - Computer Science
Associate in Science in Natural Sciences and Mathematics - Mathematics
University of Maine at Presque Isle 
Bachelor of Applied Science - Minor: Project Management
To the people that have went through this program.  How was it?  is it hard?  what does it consist of and how does it compare to the Tesu course?
Has anyone actually taken this course yet? If so, how was it? Would it be easier to take at TESU?

Any updates at all from anyone?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclamation Doing a TESU BS Information Technology Degree in One Term Is Now Possible! LevelUP 7 565 04-05-2024, 11:24 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  EDx Information Literacy not accepted for Computer Science SOS-110 mt_1994 23 2,287 06-25-2023, 03:03 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Contradictory Information Given by Admissions mariobros1985 6 743 05-10-2023, 03:53 PM
  Davar CS315 management information systems for tesu? CanICode 1 484 04-18-2023, 06:26 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
Lightbulb SOS-110 Critical Information Literacy My Experience LevelUP 29 8,601 02-23-2023, 05:35 PM
Last Post: AllThose299s
  TESU Advisor Telling me Wrong Information? Captainrekt000 14 1,421 11-06-2022, 10:14 AM
  Newly approved edX/MicroBachelor program (upper-level chemistry) carrythenothing 14 1,985 01-20-2022, 03:19 PM
Last Post: bluebooger
  CLEP Information Systems @ TESU Juju7 9 1,096 07-13-2021, 03:25 PM
  Equivalent to SOS-110 Critical Information Literacy at Thomas Edison State University thepoetvd776 4 1,229 02-17-2021, 10:09 PM
  Study.com - Library Science 101: Information Literacy pkmoose 4 868 01-18-2021, 10:12 AM
Last Post: pkmoose