Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Saylor vs. Sophia
(03-02-2021, 06:23 PM)TINASAM Wrote: Someone that has taken classes on both platforms can you compare and contrast them for me? I've only used Sophia right now but I'm eyeing a few classes from Saylor and just would like to know how similar they are to sophia and how different they are before I jump in and regret it, lol.

Thanks Smile

I see in your signature that you're taking Operations Management at Saylor. I wouldn't do that. You will need the UL credits at UMPI and you need a specific number in the minor to be taken at UMPI. I also would take UMPI's PM class not the Sophia one because you'll need it for the UL PM courses especially the Final Assessment. I say this because I took all of the PM courses are UMPI and am finishing Operations Management this week. I also would take HR at UMPI. Be very careful taking courses outside of UMPI now that you've applied. You'll need permission from your academic advisor to transfer in more courses after you are accepted. 
(03-02-2021, 06:49 PM)ROYISAGIRL Wrote:
(03-02-2021, 06:39 PM)TINASAM Wrote: Specifically I'm looking at their BUS300 Operations Management and BUS301 Human Resource Management classes. I will definitely be taking all of the Sophia classes, only interested in Saylor for classes that Sophia doesn't have. I like Sophia's format and style.

What is that $5 a pop thing? What am I missing??
They are beta testing a new proctor that costs 5 dollars. The courses themselves are free.

Sent from my SM-G981V using DegreeForum.net mobile app

The following two exams are the only ones currently showing for $5 proctoring at Saylor.                                                    POLSC221: Introduction to Comparative Politics                      ARTH100: Art History

(03-02-2021, 11:02 PM)Learnfordegree Wrote:
(03-02-2021, 06:49 PM)ROYISAGIRL Wrote:
(03-02-2021, 06:39 PM)TINASAM Wrote: Specifically I'm looking at their BUS300 Operations Management and BUS301 Human Resource Management classes. I will definitely be taking all of the Sophia classes, only interested in Saylor for classes that Sophia doesn't have. I like Sophia's format and style.

What is that $5 a pop thing? What am I missing??
They are beta testing a new proctor that costs 5 dollars. The courses themselves are free.

Sent from my SM-G981V using DegreeForum.net mobile app

The following two exams are the only ones currently showing for $5 proctoring at Saylor.                                                    POLSC221: Introduction to Comparative Politics                      ARTH100: Art History
Sorry, it is not ARTH100: Art History, instead the following: 

ARTH101: Art Appreciation
There are so many alternative credit providers, I've done a few posts in regards to several of them. In regards to these two ACE providers, I would highly suggest doing your bulk of the courses with Sophia.org and take only courses not available at Saylor.org, in fact, I don't even recommend Saylor as much now as their courses haven't been modified/updated much - the quality of the course content isn't the greatest either. The main thing going for Saylor.org is cheap credits, $25/3 credit courses and some of them are upper level, the $5 pilot program is pretty good if the course exam actually is offered at that price...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
The key for my sons to passing the Saylor courses was taking the practice exams. Take them several times, and start off taking them before you even read the material!! I think there was a week waiting period between when you could take the practice exams? Nothing would stop you from signing up with another account just to take the practice exams. (I did not say that.)

The practice exams really help a lot in passing the final exams for ACE credits. Between the two of them, my sons could take the practice exams several times, and they had quite a pool of questions to study. It was enough to pass the final exams. They did not always tell you what was right when you missed something so that helped a lot especially if you disagreed with their choices.
Does anyone know if 149$ membership is renewable yearly? Or is it one time deal?
I don't think it's renewable yearly. If they have another deal at around that time then you should be able to get that but there is no guarantee if/when they will have another sale.

I have a feeling that they will probably continue to have sales at random intervals. Most students are probably not like us. They might take 1 or 2 Sophia classes and then stop. A guaranteed $149 from these people is much better for Sophia than just $79.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
Thanks for reply.
(03-02-2021, 11:46 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: the $5 pilot program is pretty good if the course exam actually is offered at that price...

I think there was a bit of confusion on that. The post I saw on Saylor seemed to suggest that the $5 price could be a thing for all their exams if they do end up switching proctoring services, but for now it is just a few exams that are being beta tested with the new service for $5 a pop. It is something to keep an eye on, though, especially depending on how their evaluations go with ACE.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Speed of Completion of Sophia.org Courses colonelcamp 5 208 04-26-2024, 06:23 PM
Last Post: colonelcamp
  Recent Sophia.org Membership Code bjcheung77 119 63,651 04-25-2024, 02:58 PM
Last Post: gamebradie
  Is it possible to submit a blank page to Sophia histourism 12 515 04-24-2024, 08:05 AM
Last Post: colonelcamp
  Sophia | US Government bradonomics 6 948 04-23-2024, 03:22 PM
Last Post: hsufeng
  Sophia Human Biology lab tdat314 1 154 04-22-2024, 06:31 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Can sophia credit transfer to two different schools? GoBroncos95 11 572 04-18-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: GoBroncos95
  Is there a list of which Sophia courses have touchstones? MaMichelle 9 7,514 04-17-2024, 06:22 AM
Last Post: mdn
  Does Sophia track what sites you've visited? Chickenfat2024 10 815 04-13-2024, 05:17 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Sophia English Comp II vs CLEP College Composition davemodular 15 1,030 04-09-2024, 01:33 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Sophia.org while attending UMPI your pace - history major Atwygon 4 278 04-08-2024, 05:06 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77