Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shmoop GenEd
Which Shmoop courses fulfill TESU GenEd options? Thanks!
All of the literature classes, world geography, human sexuality, film studies, and a few others I can't recall off the top of my head.
BALS.SS COMPLETED (122 credits in 6 1/2 months)
CAPSTONE (95%)
CLEP: A & I Lit (63), English Comp Modular (74)
TECEP: Computer Concepts
DSST: English Comp 2 (417)
STRAIGHTERLINE: Medical Terminology, Religions, Western Civ I, Western Civ II, American Govt, Nutrition, Anthropology, Sociology, Environmental Science, Communications
STUDY.COM: Personal Finance, Vietnam War, Social Psychology, Research Methods in Psychology, Abnormal Psychology, Organizational Behavior, Classroom Management, Differentiated Instruction, Special Education History & Law, Foundations of Education, Early Childhood Education
SHMOOP: The Bible As Literature, Shakespeare's Plays, U.S. History 1, U.S. History 2, Modern European History, World Geography, Film Studies, Human Sexuality
ALEKS: Intermediate Algebra, College Algebra, Pre-Calculus
FREE COURSES: CybSec for Everyone, CybSec Business Professionals, Insurance Inst. Ethics, NFA: Fire Service Supervision, Community Safety Educators, Sophia: Developing Effective Teams
(08-23-2017, 01:55 PM)BingCherry Wrote: All of the literature classes,  world geography, human sexuality, film studies, and a few others I can't recall off the top of my head.

Are the non-lit Gen Ed courses any easier, in your experience, than the LIT courses?
Master of Business Administration, Universidad Isabel I, 2021
Master in Management & Team Management, Universidad Isabel I, 2021
Master in International Trade, Universidad Isabel I, 2021
Master in Supply Chain Management, Universidad Isabel I, 2021
Master in Project Management, Universidad Isabel I, 2023

BS Information Technology, Western Governors University, 2017
AAS Cybersecurity, Community College, 2017
FEMA Emergency Management Certificate, 2017
Fundraising Specialization Certificate, Berkeley/Haas, 2020

Undergraduate Credits: 165 Semester Credits
Graduate Credits: 105 ECTS (52.5 Semester Credits)
ALL of Shmoop's courses are Gen Ed, except Prealgebra I & II, which are not considered college-level.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
I. General Education Requirements 60
A. Intellectual and Practical Skills (15)
    Written Communication (6) ------------------------------------
                                                ------------------------------------
    Oral Communication (3) ----------------------------------------
    Quantitative Literacy (3) ---------------------------------------- ALEKS Intermediate Algebra (3)
    Information Literacy (3) -----------------------------------------
B. Knowledge of Human Cultures (9) -------------------------- U.S. History: 1492-1877 (3)
                                                           --------------------------- U.S. History: 1877-Present (3)
                                                           --------------------------- Modern European History (3)
C. Understanding the Physical and Natural World (4-7) --- Introduction to Biology (3) ?
                                                                                        --- Introduction to Physics (3) ?
D. Civic and Global Learning (9)
    Diversity (3) -------------------------------------------------------- World Geography (2)
    Ethics (3) ----------------------------------------------------------- The Institute (2)
    Civic Engagement (3) ------------------------------------------- American National Government (3) OR Comparative Government and Politics (3)
E. Mathematics (3) -------------------------------------------------- ALEKS Statistics (3)
F. General Education Electives (17-20) ------------------------ ALEKS College Algebra (3)
                                                              ------------------------ ALEKS Trigonometry (3)
                                                              ------------------------ Introduction to Film Studies (3)
                                                              ------------------------ Human Sexuality (3)
                                                              ------------------------
                                                              ------------------------    

Any suggestions? Only Shmoop courses, please.
(08-24-2017, 08:34 AM)Leonem Wrote:     Quantitative Literacy (3) ---------------------------------------- ALEKS Beginning Algebra (3)

ALEKS Beginning Algebra is not considered a college-level course at TESU.  So remove that and replace it with Intermediate Algebra.

American National Government and Comparative Government and Politics will both work for Civic Engagement.
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • Leonem
I'm new to all the online for credit courses. BUT have been looking at US history 1. The first exam is more than difficult. I'm reviewing as a possibility for my rising high schoolers. I have a history degree and got mostly As and the rest Bs; so I consider myself a pretty good "history test-taker." I have read the content of the first section 2-3 times, and still can't reason out the answers for the test. So you might want to use their free trial or not pay for their college credit tier until you look at some of their tests. ??????
[-] The following 1 user Likes bellbaby's post:
  • Leonem
I think for the price of Shmoop its a good idea to try and get as many credits done as you can. Quite a few literature courses are upper level too, which is great if you decide to go for a BALS.
Some of the testing and courses are not very good, but if you can get through some of the better ones, its a lot of very cheap credits. I managed 10 courses in one month, but it was hard going and I was already familiar with a lot of the literature.
TESU: Capstone completed Big Grin
Study.com: Classroom Management, Differentiated Instruction (6)
Patten: Academic Strategies, Child Growth and Development, Reading, Writing, and Research, Social Psych, Lifespan Development, American Government (18)
Shmoop: Drugs in Lit, Holocaust Lit, Poetry, Lit in the Media, Modernist Lit, Shakespeare's Plays, Western Lit, Women's Lit, British Lit, Euro History (30)
SL: Cultural Anthropology, English Comp I, English Comp II, Biology, Intro Comm, Environmental Science, Philosophy, C++,  Religion (27)
TEEX: Cyber Security for Business Professionals, Cyber Security for Everyone, Cyber Security for IT Professionals (6)
Sophia: Art History, Psychology, Sociology, Visual Comm, Dev Teams  (13)
ALEKS: Beginning Algebra, Intermediate Algebra, College Algebra, Statistics, Trigonometry (15)
NFA: Fire Service Supervision, Community Safety Educators (2)
Kaplan: Documenting Experiences (3)
ACTFL: Reading Proficiency Test (6)
CPCU: Ethics (2)
[-] The following 1 user Likes socsci's post:
  • Leonem
(08-28-2017, 08:24 AM)bellbaby Wrote: I'm new to all the online for credit courses. BUT have been looking at US history 1. The first exam is more than difficult. I'm reviewing as a possibility for my rising high schoolers. I have a history degree and got mostly As and the rest Bs; so I consider myself a pretty good "history test-taker." I have read the content of the first section 2-3 times, and still can't reason out the answers for the test. So you might want to use their free trial or not pay for their college credit tier until you look at some of their tests. ??????

There are a lot of complaints on here about the Shmoop courses.  BUT, it's one of the only ways to get a lot of UL credits if you need them for an English degree at TESU.  And, it's also a very cheap way to get a lot of credits, with the all-you-can-take for $85 in a month.  So, those are probably the main reasons people take them.

They sound horrible to me personally, and I wouldn't take them, nor would I have my kids take them - but for someone who was desperate to get those English/Lit credits, or for someone who really did not have a lot of money to spend, it might be worth it.

For something like US History I, where there are a multitude of ways to get credit, probably not though.
(08-23-2017, 06:19 PM)Thorne Wrote:
(08-23-2017, 01:55 PM)BingCherry Wrote: All of the literature classes,  world geography, human sexuality, film studies, and a few others I can't recall off the top of my head.

Are the non-lit Gen Ed courses any easier, in your experience, than the LIT courses?

YES! By far in my opinion!   A lot of other people would prob say the Lit was easier. It really depends on where your previous experience is.
I did Shakespeare's Plays and Bible as Literature with not many issues (just a LOT of frustration at their test questions!) as I knew both inside and out (I have taught and read both). But, I didn't continue with any other Lit as it was too much for me personally. The non Lit was so much easier for me!(and I use the term easier VERY loosely here, as it is Shmoop after all. HAHA) I got quite a few done for my gen eds.
BALS.SS COMPLETED (122 credits in 6 1/2 months)
CAPSTONE (95%)
CLEP: A & I Lit (63), English Comp Modular (74)
TECEP: Computer Concepts
DSST: English Comp 2 (417)
STRAIGHTERLINE: Medical Terminology, Religions, Western Civ I, Western Civ II, American Govt, Nutrition, Anthropology, Sociology, Environmental Science, Communications
STUDY.COM: Personal Finance, Vietnam War, Social Psychology, Research Methods in Psychology, Abnormal Psychology, Organizational Behavior, Classroom Management, Differentiated Instruction, Special Education History & Law, Foundations of Education, Early Childhood Education
SHMOOP: The Bible As Literature, Shakespeare's Plays, U.S. History 1, U.S. History 2, Modern European History, World Geography, Film Studies, Human Sexuality
ALEKS: Intermediate Algebra, College Algebra, Pre-Calculus
FREE COURSES: CybSec for Everyone, CybSec Business Professionals, Insurance Inst. Ethics, NFA: Fire Service Supervision, Community Safety Educators, Sophia: Developing Effective Teams

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Acclaim just added all my Shmoop courses jsh1138 6 1,473 01-19-2021, 12:52 PM
Last Post: ReyMysterioso
Sad Does anyone know what's happening with old Shmoop credits? Sort of freaking out. literalkev 10 1,903 09-17-2020, 10:08 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Shmoop ACE Plan Changes? Tedium 80 8,132 09-09-2020, 03:34 PM
Last Post: Merlin
  Shmoop outside the Big 3 wow 9 1,562 08-01-2020, 12:40 PM
Last Post: wow
  Shmoop Credits? asianphd 59 11,265 02-27-2020, 09:00 PM
Last Post: jsh1138
  Shmoop: New Look eriehiker 6 2,161 11-27-2019, 03:16 PM
Last Post: jsd
  OnlineDegree vs SDC vs Shmoop vs Other Options? rvm 36 7,731 10-13-2019, 04:14 PM
Last Post: allvia
  Which colleges still accept Shmoop? nosey561 0 764 10-06-2019, 12:51 PM
Last Post: nosey561
  New Shmoop Course: African-American Literature eriehiker 5 1,591 09-14-2019, 07:38 PM
Last Post: eriehiker
  Shmoop Extention jamshid666 10 2,165 09-12-2019, 02:07 PM
Last Post: jamshid666