Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Shmoop Literature Courses Overview
jsd Wrote:Congrats on working your way through all of these! It'll be a bummer as we all wait for the evaluation to see what credit they give you, but so many of us are interested Smile

I'll be submitting on January 3rd. Then the waiting can commence. Until then, We can all commence on waiting for the waiting Big Grin
TESU BALS Humanities, thanks to this place!

The mind is willing, but the wallet is weak.
Bombs away! Smile I've sent off the transcript, and ACE reports that it has been "viewed by recipient."

I kinda don't know what to do with myself now :toetap:

Notgodot Wrote:Bombs away! Smile I've sent off the transcript, and ACE reports that it has been "viewed by recipient."

I kinda don't know what to do with myself now :toetap:

Get on to the next courses... or take a well deserved break!!
Thomas Edison State University - BSBA: Accounting - September 2017

B&M: Stats, Business Law I, Microeconomics, Business Comm, Computer Concepts and Apps, Financial Accounting, Intermediate Accounting II, Managerial Accounting, Not-for-Profit Accounting
CLEP: Sociology, Psychology, Marketing, College Comp Modular, Human Growth and Development
Institutes: Ethics 312
Aleks: Intermediate Algebra, College Algebra, PreCalculus
Shmoop: U.S. History I, U.S. History II, Modern European History
Study.com: Principles of Finance, Advanced Accounting I, Applied Managerial Accounting, American Government, Macroeconomics, Principles of Management, Globalization and International Management, English Composition II, Intro to Computing, Public Speaking, Info Systems and Comp Apps
SL: Intermediate Accounting I, Introduction to Religon, Cost Accounting, Western Civilization I/II
TECEP: Strategic Management, Federal Income Tax
You could always do all of those Shmoop math courses for elective credit. Wink
BA, MA, EdS, MMT, etc.
83 hours of ACE-worthy credits
KayV Wrote:You could always do all of those Shmoop math courses for elective credit. Wink

Yeah - we really need to see what those come in as!
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Thank you so much for your reviews of this material. I decided to go ahead and sign up for the month subscription. I completed the Bible in Literature course in my one day trial and thought it would be a cake walk on the other courses.

1. I'm curious how long each course took you to complete?

2. What methods did you use to study for the unit tests?

I'm currently slogging my way through British Literature, Modern European History and I'm going to start Women in Literature. I feel likes it is a ton of reading / links - like hours and hours. I think I spend a couple hours on each unit, maybe more - I haven't officially timed it. And I find I do really, really well on all the activities and quizzes but when it comes to the actual unit tests I pass but not with super high marks (I'm averaging 70% and 83% in two of the courses). I swear I know the material inside and out - I've even read most of the books in the British Literature class. But the questions are about obscure, little bits in the text - or not anywhere I can find - not general themes. I'm almost tempted just to skim the texts and take my chances on the unit tests as I don't think it really matters. But I'm afraid I'll just bomb out that way. Even though its a lot of reading it helps me recognize about half the questions. I'm just wondering if there are any pointers on methods. Ideally I would like to complete 4-5 of these courses in one month as it will fill up all my elective and maybe a couple of my lower level AOS classes (just depends on how TESU reviews these).

I'm currently averaging 2 units/day. I have 21 more units to complete all three classes. So approx. 10 more days to finish. Is that a good pace? Is there a faster method? It looks like you were finishing these in a day or two?
MTS             Nations University - September 2018
BA.LS.SS     Thomas Edison State University -September 2017
rlw74 Wrote:Thank you so much for your reviews of this material. I decided to go ahead and sign up for the month subscription. I completed the Bible in Literature course in my one day trial and thought it would be a cake walk on the other courses.

1. I'm curious how long each course took you to complete?

2. What methods did you use to study for the unit tests?

I'm currently slogging my way through British Literature, Modern European History and I'm going to start Women in Literature. I feel likes it is a ton of reading / links - like hours and hours. I think I spend a couple hours on each unit, maybe more - I haven't officially timed it. And I find I do really, really well on all the activities and quizzes but when it comes to the actual unit tests I pass but not with super high marks (I'm averaging 70% and 83% in two of the courses). I swear I know the material inside and out - I've even read most of the books in the British Literature class. But the questions are about obscure, little bits in the text - or not anywhere I can find - not general themes. I'm almost tempted just to skim the texts and take my chances on the unit tests as I don't think it really matters. But I'm afraid I'll just bomb out that way. Even though its a lot of reading it helps me recognize about half the questions. I'm just wondering if there are any pointers on methods. Ideally I would like to complete 4-5 of these courses in one month as it will fill up all my elective and maybe a couple of my lower level AOS classes (just depends on how TESU reviews these).

I'm currently averaging 2 units/day. I have 21 more units to complete all three classes. So approx. 10 more days to finish. Is that a good pace? Is there a faster method? It looks like you were finishing these in a day or two?

Hi, sorry it's taken me a while to reply -- things have gotten really crazy in my work life.

Basically my approach to each unit test was to keep every tab open for the entire unit, and read the Shmoop unit lessons and text summaries. Each course is slightly different; some you'll find yourself going to the course summaries quite often, and others you'll be checking out their notes on symbolism, allegory etc. Still other times, you'll have to track down some obscure fact from an external site they linked to in the unit.

My mental approach was simple: get everything done in a month. I only cared about passing, since that's all that will show on the transcript. At one point I was berating myself for getting 60/60 on a unit test, because it meant I'd spent too much time on the material Big Grin

In the thread you'll find my specific notes for each course. Don't take Contemporary Lit; you almost certainly won't pass it. Western Lit and British Lit take foreeeeeeever. The rest are not too horrible and not too long.

Hope that helps!

Any news on those equivalencies yet?
He just sent it to TESU on the 3rd. They take a ridiculous 25 business days to update their evaluations.

Settle in for a long wait.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
jsd Wrote:He just sent it to TESU on the 3rd. They take a ridiculous 25 business days to update their evaluations.

Settle in for a long wait.

Dang, I need a job with low expectations like that

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is there a list of which Sophia courses have touchstones? MaMichelle 9 7,440 04-17-2024, 06:22 AM
Last Post: mdn
  New Sophia Courses: Health, Fitness, and Wellness and Anatomy & Physiology II Lab LevelUP 16 996 04-08-2024, 11:51 AM
Last Post: Kab
  TEEX Cyber Security Courses / non US residents BritStudent 8 711 04-08-2024, 11:32 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  The official guide to courses by Straighterline, Study, et al: We want YOUR input! aviator guy 378 469,352 03-18-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: RachelB
Information New Sophia Courses: College Math and Chemistry MNomadic 67 10,911 03-07-2024, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Westslope Cutthroat
  Study.Com Upcoming changes to courses Vin 4 1,047 02-13-2024, 11:26 PM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
Thumbs Up Sophia Review: Finished 6 Courses in 1 Week Ares 11 2,088 02-11-2024, 04:54 PM
Last Post: Ares
  Equivalents for Old SNHU Gen Ed Courses Spalmer 6 599 02-11-2024, 11:25 AM
Last Post: Spalmer
  SeeMore courses other than CSM (or: has anyone transferred a non-ACE/NCCRS course?) vaticidalprophet 5 340 01-24-2024, 01:58 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  TESU AOS Finance courses Yenisei 9 715 01-15-2024, 10:31 PM
Last Post: TopHatWombat