Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Shmoop Literature Courses Overview
Well, hope for the best, prepare for the worst. I've replied asking for an appeal to the evaluation of those four (Bible as Lit would go lower, but man, I don't want to see another "Special Topics" when Biblical Literature is obviously what it should be).

At this point it looks like I might not be able to get the Humanities concentration, which is kind of a bummer, and an English degree is really off the table. I know that one was a long shot, but... :/

Back to wait and see, I suppose.
TESU BALS Humanities, thanks to this place!

The mind is willing, but the wallet is weak.
Just wait they might give you some.
Your Humanities degree is not dead. Here's a few you can do. Remember 1 down 4 to go if nothing changes.
1) Corporate Communications (Saylor)
2) Business Communications (study.com or straighterline)
3) Business Ethics (study.com or Straighterline)
4) Marketing Communications (TECEP)
5) BioEthic (uexcel)

When you appeal clearly state Lit2xx should be Lit 3xx per the schools data base.
"I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself, than be crowded on a velvet cushion."~ Henry David

BA Humanities - TESC
AAS Construction and Facilities Support - TESC
AA Interior Design - MCC
AA LS - MCC
Certificate Interior Design - MCC
Certificate Management - MCC
Good news(?)

Jut got a reply to my appeal to credit evaluation:

Quote:Thank you for the course descriptions. I've reviewed them with another advisor, and we have determined they will transfer in as:

Holocaust Literature SHMO-0020 will transfer to Thomas Edison as ENG-301 The Holocaust
Shakespeare's Plays SHMO-0025 will transfer to Thomas Edison as LIT-244 Intro to Shakespeare as previously stated
The Bible as Literature SHMO-0027 will transfer to Thomas Edison as LIT-242 Biblical Literature I
Literature in the Media SHMO-0022 will transfer to Thomas Edison as LIT-430 Literature and the Media

So that's two more UL, assuming these determinations stick.

Sweet! Good news. Let's see how it plays out. Looks promising.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
That's encouraging news about the re-eval!

Did they say anything about Modernist Literature becoming LIT-201?
BA, MA, EdS, MMT, etc.
83 hours of ACE-worthy credits
You still could complete 15 upper level Humanities easily (but I would still re-appeal Modernist Lit).

For example, your concentration could include:
Shakespeare's Plays SHMO-0025 LIT-244 Intro to Shakespeare
The Bible as Literature SHMO-0027 LIT-242 Biblical Literature I
Drugs in Literature SHMO-0019 LIT-299 Special Topics
Modernist Literature SHMO-0023 LIT-201 Intro to Modern English & American Literature II
British Literature/ English Literature LIT-208
Holocaust Literature SHMO-0020/ ENG-301 The Holocaust 3UL
Women's Literature SHMO-0028/ LIT-323 Women in Literature 3UL
Literature in the Media SHMO-0022/ LIT-430 Literature and the Media 3UL

Along with
Study Business 113/ Business Communications/ COM-300 3UL
Saylor Managerial Communications/ COM-373 3UL
BA, MA, EdS, MMT, etc.
83 hours of ACE-worthy credits
KayV Wrote:That's encouraging news about the re-eval!

Did they say anything about Modernist Literature becoming LIT-201?

I didn't ask about that one. I *know* it's a wrong evaluation, but I don't know what to tell them it should be instead.

Notgodot Wrote:Good news(?)

Jut got a reply to my appeal to credit evaluation:

Thank you for the course descriptions. I've reviewed them with another advisor, and we have determined they will transfer in as:

Holocaust Literature SHMO-0020 will transfer to Thomas Edison as ENG-301 The Holocaust
Shakespeare's Plays SHMO-0025 will transfer to Thomas Edison as LIT-244 Intro to Shakespeare as previously stated
The Bible as Literature SHMO-0027 will transfer to Thomas Edison as LIT-242 Biblical Literature I
Literature in the Media SHMO-0022 will transfer to Thomas Edison as LIT-430 Literature and the Media

So that's two more UL, assuming these determinations stick.

Reviewed with another advisor sounds like - I actually took the time to read them this time now that you asked about it...
That is should be Modern Lit either Lit 399 or English 399.
"I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself, than be crowded on a velvet cushion."~ Henry David

BA Humanities - TESC
AAS Construction and Facilities Support - TESC
AA Interior Design - MCC
AA LS - MCC
Certificate Interior Design - MCC
Certificate Management - MCC
Does anyone know, once evaluated, how much does this "stick" for anyone in the future who wants to transfer in these courses? Can each advisor just do whatever they want with these courses until its written down somewhere?

I'm trying to decide if I want to shift my focus and take those shmoop courses as some of my UL credits or stick with my plan of getting my UL credits at study.com. At least with study.com I know those should be evaluated pretty consistently. I have the shmoop subscription until the end of the month so I could probably get a couple of the courses done if I buckle down. I'm just a little tired right now - I've completed 18 credits in three weeks and have another 3 credits to test for by next week. I guess I could try for another 6 or 9 credits in the next 10 days. I just don't want to waste my time though as I don't need anymore electives - just UL at this point.
MTS             Nations University - September 2018
BA.LS.SS     Thomas Edison State University -September 2017

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is there a list of which Sophia courses have touchstones? MaMichelle 9 7,300 04-17-2024, 06:22 AM
Last Post: mdn
  New Sophia Courses: Health, Fitness, and Wellness and Anatomy & Physiology II Lab LevelUP 16 882 04-08-2024, 11:51 AM
Last Post: Kab
  TEEX Cyber Security Courses / non US residents BritStudent 8 690 04-08-2024, 11:32 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  The official guide to courses by Straighterline, Study, et al: We want YOUR input! aviator guy 378 468,450 03-18-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: RachelB
Information New Sophia Courses: College Math and Chemistry MNomadic 67 10,806 03-07-2024, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Westslope Cutthroat
  Study.Com Upcoming changes to courses Vin 4 1,032 02-13-2024, 11:26 PM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
Thumbs Up Sophia Review: Finished 6 Courses in 1 Week Ares 11 2,036 02-11-2024, 04:54 PM
Last Post: Ares
  Equivalents for Old SNHU Gen Ed Courses Spalmer 6 575 02-11-2024, 11:25 AM
Last Post: Spalmer
  SeeMore courses other than CSM (or: has anyone transferred a non-ACE/NCCRS course?) vaticidalprophet 5 328 01-24-2024, 01:58 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  TESU AOS Finance courses Yenisei 9 700 01-15-2024, 10:31 PM
Last Post: TopHatWombat