Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shmoop Question(s)
Hello All,

Can someone give me a quick rundown on how this place works. Start to finish. Thinking about taking two history classes from Shmoop instead of doing the CLEP exams. Just need to know how the course works , tests or just one final. Proctored/Unproctored. How long to reattempt if failed first attempt. Wondering if it would be easier/quicker then CLEPing. Thanks. Cheaper isn't a factor I get reimbursed for CLEP exams/Sit Fees, but I usually buy the REA guides which run about 25$ per so Shmoop would actually be cheaper. I think. Thanks
Thomas Edison State University - BSBA: Accounting - September 2017

B&M: Stats, Business Law I, Microeconomics, Business Comm, Computer Concepts and Apps, Financial Accounting, Intermediate Accounting II, Managerial Accounting, Not-for-Profit Accounting
CLEP: Sociology, Psychology, Marketing, College Comp Modular, Human Growth and Development
Institutes: Ethics 312
Aleks: Intermediate Algebra, College Algebra, PreCalculus
Shmoop: U.S. History I, U.S. History II, Modern European History
Study.com: Principles of Finance, Advanced Accounting I, Applied Managerial Accounting, American Government, Macroeconomics, Principles of Management, Globalization and International Management, English Composition II, Intro to Computing, Public Speaking, Info Systems and Comp Apps
SL: Intermediate Accounting I, Introduction to Religon, Cost Accounting, Western Civilization I/II
TECEP: Strategic Management, Federal Income Tax
Well if you're doing the US history classes, I've got experience in this. They have 10-13 units each. At the end of each unit is a Unit test. It's 20 questions. Unproctored. 1 hour time limit. This unit test is factored into your final grade. After all the units, there's a final exam. It is 50 questions. Unproctored. 2 hour time limit.

If you fail any test or just want to go for a higher grade, you can do it at any time. One caveat to this however is that you can only retake each test once. So if you aren't happy with the 2nd score, you're stuck with it. Also, you don't keep your highest. If you opt to retake a test and you get lower than the first attempt, youre stuck with the lower grade.

I liked the way Shmoop writes out their material. I'm still working on my $25 a month membership, so its a great value. Even the new $87 is good if you can get through the classes quickly. US History 1 was MUCH easier than US history 2. The gilded age kicked my ass.
B&M
Introduction To Computer Information Systems
French I

ALEKS
Intermediate Algebra
College Algebra
PreCalculus

SOPHIA
Art History 1
Environmental Science
Human Biology
Foundations Of English Composition
Conflict Resolution
College Readiness

CGaboury Wrote:Well if you're doing the US history classes, I've got experience in this. They have 10-13 units each. At the end of each unit is a Unit test. It's 20 questions. Unproctored. 1 hour time limit. This unit test is factored into your final grade. After all the units, there's a final exam. It is 50 questions. Unproctored. 2 hour time limit.

If you fail any test or just want to go for a higher grade, you can do it at any time. One caveat to this however is that you can only retake each test once. So if you aren't happy with the 2nd score, you're stuck with it. Also, you don't keep your highest. If you opt to retake a test and you get lower than the first attempt, youre stuck with the lower grade.

I liked the way Shmoop writes out their material. I'm still working on my $25 a month membership, so its a great value. Even the new $87 is good if you can get through the classes quickly. US History 1 was MUCH easier than US history 2. The gilded age kicked my ass.

Thank you very much for your input. I think this will be the route I will go. The un-proctored part was my main concern, not because I want to be able to look up the answers but because I want to be able to make progress while at work. I have a pretty unique job and I get pockets of down time so this will fill that in great.

B&M: Stats, Business Law I, Microeconomics, Business Comm, Computer Concepts and Apps, Financial Accounting, Intermediate Accounting II, Managerial Accounting, Not-for-Profit Accounting
CLEP: Sociology, Psychology, Marketing, College Comp Modular, Human Growth and Development
Study.com: Principles of Finance, Advanced Accounting I, Applied Managerial Accounting, American Government, Macroeconomics, Principles of Management, Globalization and International Management, English Composition II, Intro to Computing, Public Speaking, Info Systems and Comp Apps
SL: Intermediate Accounting I, Introduction to Religon, Cost Accounting, Western Civilization I/II
I get what you're saying. But remember these tests are timed. So if you feel like you can work for 20 minutes, step away, and come back to it, that's likely not going to happen. You need to make sure you have the time to sit and do it.

If you're well versed in the material, the time allocated to take the test is a joke. You can get through them in about 10 minutes. However if you're clueless on the stuff and fumbling around trying to look stuff up, you'll find that you will run out of time. Also, the way the questions are worded, you can't easily research it. At least not quickly enough to allow you to finish under the time frame.
B&M
Introduction To Computer Information Systems
French I

ALEKS
Intermediate Algebra
College Algebra
PreCalculus

SOPHIA
Art History 1
Environmental Science
Human Biology
Foundations Of English Composition
Conflict Resolution
College Readiness

CGaboury Wrote:I get what you're saying. But remember these tests are timed. So if you feel like you can work for 20 minutes, step away, and come back to it, that's likely not going to happen. You need to make sure you have the time to sit and do it.

If you're well versed in the material, the time allocated to take the test is a joke. You can get through them in about 10 minutes. However if you're clueless on the stuff and fumbling around trying to look stuff up, you'll find that you will run out of time. Also, the way the questions are worded, you can't easily research it. At least not quickly enough to allow you to finish under the time frame.

I'd take the final at home. But a 1 hour test won't be a problem at work. I can do the units at times during work but 2 hours is def a bit much to get done at work

Can anyone tell me what the Three History Classes come in as, and also what they will satisfy. Trying to see if I can optimize all three History Classes.

At TESU they come in as:
HIS-113 US History I
HIS-114 US History II
HIS-221 Modern European History II

I have the three of them slotted into the Knowledge of Human Cultures section as Social Sciences courses but they can also be Gen Ed electives or Free electives. Someone smarter than I am can verify all of this information.
ndelcollo Wrote:At TESU they come in as:
HIS-113 US History I
HIS-114 US History II
HIS-221 Modern European History II

I have the three of them slotted into the Knowledge of Human Cultures section as Social Sciences courses but they can also be Gen Ed electives or Free electives. Someone smarter than I am can verify all of this information.

Not saying I'm smarter than you...but verifying that this is all true.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Thanks you two , I will be signing up for these after work today. I will benefit from all three courses so It makes a lot of sense to do them. Thanks Again.

There are some math courses you might want to take as well; Finite Math, and Geometry. No word on what they're going to come in as yet, but I think Finite Math will be MAT-110, Geometry is possibly MAT-361 (although I have some doubts on that, but we will see).

If you have space in your Gen Ed Electives or Free Electives, these will both fit. And since you've already taken other math courses, these should be easy for you.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Question Promo Codes, SL vs Sophia Breaachh 11 691 02-11-2024, 02:36 PM
Last Post: Breaachh
  Basic Question About Sophia Touchstones RachelB 10 1,843 10-09-2023, 10:46 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Google IT Support - course question and ACE rvm 2 926 01-29-2023, 05:08 PM
Last Post: rvm
  SDC BIO 101 - question on Labster Mr T 5 627 01-03-2023, 06:35 PM
Last Post: Mr T
  Study.com question - Biology 101L: Intro to Biology with Lab Mr T 6 1,473 12-31-2022, 05:27 PM
  Question re: SDC Computer Science 204 - Database Programming raekwon 6 1,526 11-25-2022, 11:51 AM
  Another Sophia Spanish I question uncapentin 4 861 11-16-2022, 01:49 PM
Last Post: uncapentin
  Question about Coursera certificates & specializations Pikachu 7 2,867 08-24-2022, 04:51 AM
Last Post: SweetSecret
  Question about SDC Bio101 Labs? Jwheels27 4 779 08-18-2022, 12:34 AM
Last Post: Jwheels27
  Study.com Premium edition question muu9 11 1,663 08-03-2022, 06:00 PM
Last Post: carrythenothing