Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shmoop University Math Courses
(03-29-2018, 08:40 PM)acamp Wrote: Good evening all,
Just found this old thread and hoping someone can help...

I am attempting to complete math courses through study.com which just isn’t going well. It’s really overwhelming with the amount of information to learn/memorize/execute for the final proctored exam. I BARELY passed MAT97 which is supposed to be one of the EASIEST courses on there so that was beyond discouraging. I am currently in MAT101 on study and I am not learning and retaining the necessary info to pass their practice final - yet alone the real one.

With that being said, can someone please if possible shed some light on the SHMOOP math courses? I know many people think shmoop is annoying but I just need to pass these math courses at this point.

Any help, insight, or tips for shmoop math courses for someone with not much prior math knowledge?

I like that none of shmoop requires proctored exams and if it’s just a matter of going through the lessons in a time consuming manner I would gladly do that if I knew i could pass and get the credit for the class.

Thanks ALL in advance. Gaining these math credits are very important (and necessary) to me at my stage of life and it’s not going that well with study...

Hi all,
My original post with my question seemed to have gotten buried. If anyone can answer if they could, I would really appreciate it. Thanks again.
I started to take finite math. I tried just testing out, but I would have failed that way, so I stopped until I get some time to actually read the lessons. I was able to just test out of the geometry class.
(03-29-2018, 08:40 PM)acamp Wrote: Good evening all,
Just found this old thread and hoping someone can help...

I am attempting to complete math courses through study.com which just isn’t going well.  It’s really overwhelming with the amount of information to learn/memorize/execute for the final proctored exam.  I BARELY passed MAT97 which is supposed to be one of the EASIEST courses on there so that was beyond discouraging.   I am currently in MAT101 on study and I am not learning and retaining the necessary info to pass their practice final - yet alone the real one.

With that being said, can someone please if possible shed some light on the SHMOOP math courses?  I know many people think shmoop is annoying but I just need to pass these math courses at this point.  

Any help, insight, or tips for shmoop math courses for someone with not much prior math knowledge?

I like that none of shmoop requires proctored exams and if it’s just a matter of going through the lessons in a time consuming manner I would gladly do that if I knew i could pass and get the credit for the class.

Thanks ALL in advance.  Gaining these math credits are very important (and necessary) to me at my stage of life and it’s not going that well with study...

Just so you're aware, Shmoop is generally considered one of the harder course content providers. Plus their format is fairly odd and the presentation style is annoying. On the other hand, Study.com has a much more intuitive format and professional presentation style. It is also generally considered one of the easier content providers. So, if you're looking to Shmoop for "easy" math credits, I think you're looking in the wrong place. It can be easy if you've already got a solid grasp on the material, but it sounds like what you really need is more in-depth training on the material so you can learn it properly.

I cannot compare how their math courses are set up, but if you're having trouble with the Study.com courses, I doubt the Shmoop courses will be any better for you. In fact, I would imagine they would be more difficult because of the presentation format. If it were me, I would visit Khan Academy to get help with the requisite math skills. They are free, have math lessons in pretty much every area and level, and they are one of the better places to learn the material properly.

Once you're finished with Khan Academy, you should be fine to complete relevant math courses with any course provider. I'd still recommend Study.com or Straighterline over Shmoop, primarily because of the format, but also because they have transfer agreements with the big 3. Straighterline also has the advantage of being more forgiving on the final exam (if you score well enough on the quizzes, you can fail the final and still pass in many cases).

Just my $0.02.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
[-] The following 1 user Likes Merlin's post:
  • Muldoon
Thank u for the post, truly appreciate it..

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New Sophia Courses: Health, Fitness, and Wellness and Anatomy & Physiology II Lab LevelUP 7 371 03-23-2024, 03:16 AM
Last Post: Kab
  The official guide to courses by Straighterline, Study, et al: We want YOUR input! aviator guy 378 464,610 03-18-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: RachelB
  Is there a list of which Sophia courses have touchstones? MaMichelle 7 6,789 03-16-2024, 06:45 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
Information New Sophia Courses: College Math and Chemistry MNomadic 67 10,391 03-07-2024, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Westslope Cutthroat
  TEEX Cyber Security Courses / non US residents BritStudent 6 545 03-03-2024, 02:15 AM
Last Post: FireMedic_Philosopher
  Study.Com Upcoming changes to courses Vin 4 967 02-13-2024, 11:26 PM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
Thumbs Up Sophia Review: Finished 6 Courses in 1 Week Ares 11 1,803 02-11-2024, 04:54 PM
Last Post: Ares
  Equivalents for Old SNHU Gen Ed Courses Spalmer 6 537 02-11-2024, 11:25 AM
Last Post: Spalmer
  SeeMore courses other than CSM (or: has anyone transferred a non-ACE/NCCRS course?) vaticidalprophet 5 307 01-24-2024, 01:58 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  TESU AOS Finance courses Yenisei 9 671 01-15-2024, 10:31 PM
Last Post: TopHatWombat