Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shmoop explains what happened at TESU, says it's temporary...
Sorry to start yet another thread about this, but I don't want it to get lost in the half a dozen others since it is new information...

Quote:Hi [jsd],

Thanks for reaching out! We're working with Thomas Edison State University and the team at ACE to get this resolved as quickly as possible. 

To give you a quick background on the issue: TESU identified a student who transferred an unusually high number of credits from Shmoop in a short amount of time, and they made the decision to pause their acceptance of Shmoop coursework while they look into the situation further. Please note that this temporary pause in accepting our courses only applies to TESU; no other institutions should be affected by this. 

Rest assured, we're working closely—and quickly—with TESU to address this situation, and we hope that they will resume accepting Shmoop ACE recommended courses for transfer credit. 

Once things have cleared up with TESU, we hope you'll continue to find Shmoop to be a great resource for you!

Best,
Team Shmoop

Hopefully they are correct when they say it is only temporary.

Now, which one of you is responsible for transferring "an unusually high number of credits from Shmoop in a short amount of time"

Tongue
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
[-] The following 3 users Like jsd's post:
  • High_Order1, Life Long Learning, LxJxG
Not me!! Haha
1. Prep Phase: Hopeless, 15 credits, need a BA fast, never heard of TESU
2. TESU BALS: 121/120 (9 months)

3. RN Paramedic Bridge - Excelsior (9 months + CPNE wait)
4. WGU RN -> BSN
5. BSN -> MSN/FNP
Well at least they're being honest about it.... or at least it sounds honest.

If it is true, then I would imagine they're going to put some sort of limit in place?

I guess we'll find out..... thanks for posting!
Regis University, ITESO, Global MBA with a focus in Emerging Markets 4.0 GPA, Dual-university degree (Spanish/English) 
COSC BS, Business Admin

My BS Credits:
Spanish 80 | Humanities 67 | A & I Lit 72 | Sub Abuse 452 | Bus Ethics 445 | Tech Writ 62 | Math 53 | HTYH 454 | Am. Govt 65 | Env & Humanity 64 | Marketing 65 | Micro 61| Mgmt 63| Org Behavior 65| MIS 446|Computing 432 | BL II 61 | M&B 50 | Finance 411 | Supervision 437| Intro Bus. 439| Law Enforcement 63|  SL: Accounting I B | Accounting II C+| Macro A | ECE: Labor Relations A | Capstone: A| FEMA PDS Cert 
[-] The following 2 users Like burbuja0512's post:
  • Life Long Learning, LxJxG
Well,

I assumed that this was the end game, and I can't say I'm surprised.

The question is, how do the providers and the colleges move forward without 1- hurting the savants that can actually do this without cheating, and 2-without cutting off their noses to spite their faces.

I still say this is an excellent path for a certain demographic, I wouldn't recommend it to just anyone, and I think they'd be doing a great disservice if they wind up putting a lot of delays and breaks into the system so it 'appears' more rigorous.
Angel 
Bachelor of Arts in Liberal Studies Thomas Edison State University 2018
Cert in Emergency Management -
Three Rivers CC 2017
Cert in Basic Police Ed - Walters State CC 1996

Current Goal: new job
Working on: securing funding I don't have to pay back for a Masters.
Up Next: Toying with Masters Programs
Finished: First Degree

Older Experience with: PLA / Portfolios, RPNow, Proctor U, ACE, NCCRS, DAVAR Academy (formerly Tor), Straighterline, TESU, Ed4Credit, Study.com, The Institutes, Kaplan, ALEKS, FEMA IS, NFA IS, brick & mortar community colleges, LOTS of vocational schools...

My list of academic courses:
link

[-] The following 3 users Like High_Order1's post:
  • Life Long Learning, MSK9, studiousimp
I can see that happening. I was doing my classes at work on the weekend and averaged one class per day. So if somebody was spending more than the 8 hour shifts I was grinding out classes. It doesn't surprise me somebody knocked them out quick.
This Thursday will be my 2 week mark using Shmoop. So far I finished 5 courses and should be finishing another one tomorrow. I believe there are probably 10 more I could finish in my first month if I wanted to.
On my 3 month study.com guardian scholorship, I finished the 6 courses. Along with those 6, I was able to finish 7 more courses I just need the proctored exams for.
These went fairly quickly to me because I had a good understanding or experience in the subjects already. My next couple of courses with shmoop won't be going so quickly for me. I am planning on courses I have no knowledge about. Others may be able to go through them quickly but I cannot.
I don't have a dog in this fight as I am not enrolled in TESU. But the excuse they used does annoy me. If I take ACE certified courses, and they accept ACE certified courses, why should it matter if I am able to blow through a bunch quickly? If someone spent 4 months at Patten, and knocked out 100 credits in that time, would they say the credits were earned to fast and not take them?
Some people use ACE or NCCRS courses like compantcy based courses. Someone who always likes to read, and has read for a couple of decades, could possibly fly through all the shmoop lit courses in a week. I couldn't, but I bet I could get the Shakespeare courses done in a day though.
It they don't want the possibility of someone flying through ACE courses then perhaps they should just quit accepting any ACE courses and require the whole degree be earned through them.
[-] The following 6 users Like xjarhead1999's post:
  • leland.kirk, Life Long Learning, miah, Muldoon, sarg123, studiousimp
Good to hear that. So I will continue using Shmoop later.
Maybe for other institutions, like WGU?
WGU never accepted Shmoop, citing their lack of proctoring.

Georgia Tech

BA Psychology, 2016

BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

(05-08-2018, 09:57 AM)jsd Wrote: WGU never accepted Shmoop, citing their lack of proctoring.

Which is funny, because they take ALEKS.
Up next:  WGU MSCSIA - Early 2023
Dropped:  WGU MSITM - Wasn't my cup of tea
Completed:  WGU BSCSIA (started 10/1/2018, finished 01/11/2019), Pierpont BOG AAS (5/2018)
Journey Thread (MSITM): https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...TM-Journey
Journey Thread (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...ersecurity
Degree Spreadsheet (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/attachm...p?aid=2602

Shhh, don't tell them!

Georgia Tech

BA Psychology, 2016

BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Non-course equivalency at TESU for Sophia Principles of Finance? Yenisei 7 373 03-18-2024, 11:51 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  TESU AOS Finance courses Yenisei 9 711 01-15-2024, 10:31 PM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  TESU Business/Society splirow 15 1,431 08-12-2023, 07:32 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  What happened to all the transfer discounts? harrypotter 2 538 06-14-2023, 09:20 PM
  Current equivalency Sophia courses that will transfer to TESU Mccderm 3 895 01-06-2023, 02:31 PM
Last Post: Mccderm
  SDC Presentation Skills Class NOT transferring to TESU?? ACI 4 719 12-22-2022, 02:15 PM
Last Post: ACI
  Sophia - Intro to Python/Java Programming to TESU AllThose299s 4 1,202 11-03-2022, 01:31 PM
  TESU to medical school? yum2177 9 2,935 11-01-2022, 04:00 PM
Last Post: danger455
  TESU, UMPI, EU, COSC and WGU students reen967 8 1,539 10-01-2022, 09:24 AM
Last Post: reen967
  How long does it take TESU to get the info to update? CHken92 6 1,061 05-21-2022, 03:14 PM
Last Post: CHken92