Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shmoop strategy
My son has passed 5 Shmoop classes and is taking more, so I figured I will share his strategy in the hopes that it will help others. His goal was to pass as many courses as possible with as little effort as possible, while still learning something. He did not care if he did not pass certain classes, since there are other providers for most of them. So this is how he did it:

He looked at all of the classes and picked either ones that had few lessons (6 or less) or ones that he thought he was already familiar with the content or one that interested him. Then, he would pick a random test of the course and just did it cold. If the test had a bunch of errors, seemed overly difficult or was just dreadful for one reason or another, he would just drop the course at that point (Intro to Biology, Bible as Literature, Intro to physics). If he did not mind the test or the topic, he just did all of the lesson tests cold. That took about 1-2 hours. He did not take the final exam. For some classes, he got close to a passing score without even studying (E-commerce, History of Technology, Intro to Marketing, Principles of marketing, Business communications, Media Literacy). He ended up with a score of about 60-68% for most of these classes without studying. Then, he read all of the lesson readings for those lessons that he scored less than 70% (42 out of 60 points).  He skipped all of the links. Then, he took the tests a second time. At that time, he had more than 70% for all of the courses. Then, he took the final. Did not take too long for those courses. He did not mind if he failed the course on the second time he took the tests, but that did not happen. He is currently working on Am Gov and Film Studies. Hope this helps someone.
[-] The following 1 user Likes homeschoolmom1's post:
  • SDO
Sounds like a good plan, until the all of the Big Three find out, in Shmoop classes you'll learn little.
This is the kind of post that makes me think that more of the Big 3 than just TESU will stop taking Shmoop credits.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • jsd
Back to the discussion of "testing out" versus "learning a lot" with all of those courses we talk about here. Actually, he said that he learned a good bit with this strategy while minimizing unnecessary busywork. He found History of Technology especially fun and informative. For the ones that he scored over 65% without studying, one can argue that he already knows a lot about those topics and took Shmoop like a cheap way of testing out. Not much different from taking a CLEP exam cold, imo.
Good point.
I'm looking forward to getting to know when TESU and others universities to accept credits from Shmoop again.
(06-10-2018, 05:05 PM)maplefu Wrote: Good point.
I'm looking forward to getting to know when TESU and others universities to accept credits from Shmoop again.

TESU is the only one of the Big 3 that doesn't accept Shmoop credit.  COSC and EC never stopped.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • Life Long Learning
(06-10-2018, 06:10 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(06-10-2018, 05:05 PM)maplefu Wrote: Good point.

TESU is the only one of the Big 3 that doesn't accept Shmoop credit.  COSC and EC never stopped.

Thanks dfrecore,
Do you have any degree plans for Cyber Security program or other bachelor degree rom COSC?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Study.com - Best Time/Cost Saving Strategy? kylan11 13 1,356 10-18-2023, 08:09 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Sophia | Pass strategy akr680 4 1,182 01-26-2021, 03:49 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Acclaim just added all my Shmoop courses jsh1138 6 1,479 01-19-2021, 12:52 PM
Last Post: ReyMysterioso
Sad Does anyone know what's happening with old Shmoop credits? Sort of freaking out. literalkev 10 1,906 09-17-2020, 10:08 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Shmoop ACE Plan Changes? Tedium 80 8,146 09-09-2020, 03:34 PM
Last Post: Merlin
  Shmoop outside the Big 3 wow 9 1,566 08-01-2020, 12:40 PM
Last Post: wow
  Shmoop Credits? asianphd 59 11,274 02-27-2020, 09:00 PM
Last Post: jsh1138
  Shmoop: New Look eriehiker 6 2,164 11-27-2019, 03:16 PM
Last Post: jsd
  OnlineDegree vs SDC vs Shmoop vs Other Options? rvm 36 7,745 10-13-2019, 04:14 PM
Last Post: allvia
  Which colleges still accept Shmoop? nosey561 0 768 10-06-2019, 12:51 PM
Last Post: nosey561