Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Slayed by Python: Onlinedegree.com
(10-23-2018, 10:11 AM)davewill Wrote:
(10-22-2018, 06:33 PM)jsh1138 Wrote: I took a C programming course at TESU awhile back and you really do have to write multiple programs before it starts to make sense

i love Study.com and places like that but i am hugely skeptical that you can learn coding in a format like that, or onlinedegree.

It would prob be better to do some kind of free Udemy course or whatever to actually learn it, and then just use the course to get the credit for knowing it, vs trying to learn it from the course. Now that Study.com offers C+ and Java for credit, that's what i'm going to try to do with those, and with this course from onlinedegree when i get around to it.

I'm not sure that most butt-in-seat courses are any better. It's like learning real languages, unless you practice you don't learn to speak(write) it. The student needs to challenge themselves to do projects, have difficulties, and work their way through them. Luckily, that seems to be the how many of the MOOCs are organized.

The programming courses at our CC require lab time.  I'm guessing they agree with everyone here that actually programming is the only way to learn...programming.
TESU BSBA in HR, 2018
WVNCC BOG AAS,
GGU Cert in Management, 2000

EXAMS: TECEP Tech Writg, Engl Comp 2, LA Math, Public Rel, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int Alg, Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
B&M COURSESPalomar CollMission Coll, Golden Gate Univ, San Jose State Univ
Well I can't speak for everywhere, but when I did that C programming class at TESU, we turned in literally dozens of programs over the course of the term. I mean nothing crazy complicated, but they definitely made you do them.

I went through Study.com's C programming course afterwards, just to compare, and it wasn't anything near the same level of programming in terms of writing them. It would show you bits of code and ask about them, but not ask you to write much. I just don't think you could learn it that way, even to the low level that I learned it from the course I took. You basically have to just sit there for hours and write programs and run them and then debug them, over and over. It's very tedious but it just is what it is.

I'm planning to do a C+ or C++ course eventually and I hope some of my C learning carries over.
Study.com - 111 CR. TESU - 27 CR. CLEP - 6 CR. Sophia - 2 CR. TEEX - 2 CR. Shmoop - 18 CR. NFA - 4 CR. The Institutes - 4 CR. Excelsior - 3 CR. Middle Georgia State University - 15 CR. FEMA - 20ish
(10-23-2018, 03:47 PM)jsh1138 Wrote: Well I can't speak for everywhere, but when I did that C programming class at TESU, we turned in literally dozens of programs over the course of the term. I mean nothing crazy complicated, but they definitely made you do them.

I went through Study.com's C programming course afterwards, just to compare, and it wasn't anything near the same level of programming in terms of writing them. It would show you bits of code and ask about them, but not ask you to write much. I just don't think you could learn it that way, even to the low level that I learned it from the course I took. You basically have to just sit there for hours and write programs and run them and then debug them, over and over. It's very tedious but it just is what it is.

I'm planning to do a C+ or C++ course eventually and I hope some of my C learning carries over.

I also took the Study.com C course, and that only requires a single program to be written for a grade. They do provide a coding assignment at the end of each chapter as well, but those aren't graded so I suspect people won't do them. If they don't, I suspect people will find the final programming project challenging.

C++ is an extension to C, so a lot of the core will carry over. There will be some unlearning as well since the object-oriented approach requires a slightly different mentality than traditional C programming, but it should be an easy transition. Once you know C & C++, its also easy to transition over to other C++ inspired languages, like Java, Objective-C, and even C#.

The Straighterline C++ course isn't too bad. It has several programming assignments. Nothing too complicated, but enough to get your feet wet on the coding side.
In Progress: MBA (IT Management), Western Governors University (31/35cu | Sep 2019)
Up Next: Perhaps an MSCS or a DBA/DM/Ph.D.

Complete:
BSBA in Computer Information Systems, 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM in Computer Science, 2019, Thomas Edison State University

B&M CC: 8.68cr, TESU: 3cr, CLEP/DSST: 15cr, Study.com: 57cr, Straighterline: 19cr, ALEKS: 9cr, TEEX: 6cr, The Institutes: 2cr, Sophia: 2cr
(121.68 credits total. 95 credits earned in 10 months, with 45 of those earned in ~3 months)
[-] The following 2 users Like Merlin's post:
  • jsh1138, studiousimp
Code:
print("Hello, World!")

okay, i'm ready for a developer job!
In Progress: MS Cybersecurity, Georgia Tech (9/32cr), 2021?
BS IT Security, Western Governors University, 2018
BA Psychology, Thomas Edison State University, 2016
AA Sociology, Chaffey College, 2015

View all of my earned credits on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
(10-23-2018, 05:52 PM)jsd Wrote:
Code:
print("Hello, World!")

okay, i'm ready for a developer job!

Hehe. Yep, that is all it takes. Wink
In Progress: MBA (IT Management), Western Governors University (31/35cu | Sep 2019)
Up Next: Perhaps an MSCS or a DBA/DM/Ph.D.

Complete:
BSBA in Computer Information Systems, 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM in Computer Science, 2019, Thomas Edison State University

B&M CC: 8.68cr, TESU: 3cr, CLEP/DSST: 15cr, Study.com: 57cr, Straighterline: 19cr, ALEKS: 9cr, TEEX: 6cr, The Institutes: 2cr, Sophia: 2cr
(121.68 credits total. 95 credits earned in 10 months, with 45 of those earned in ~3 months)
[-] The following 1 user Likes Merlin's post:
  • eriehiker
I think people focus too much on language and not enough on data structures and algorithms and actually BUILDING applications.
GRADUATE

Master of Theological Studies, Nations University (In Progress..)
MITx to ALM in ES: Management, Harvard University (Planned...2021)

UNDERGRAD

Sep 2019 Grad...

BA Computer Science, TESU
BA Liberal Studies, TESU
AS  Natural Science and Mathematics, TESU  

SL (27 Cr): Eng Com I II, Ameri Gov, Reli, Nutri, Envi Sci, Cul Ant, Med Ter, IT Fund
Shmoop (18 Cr): Hist Tech, Hu Sex, Med Lit, Bible Lit, Prof Wrtng, E-Com
Sophia (11 Cr): Col Alg, Info Tech, Pub Speak, Effe Teams, Manag Con
TEEX (5 Cr): Cyb Ever, IT Prof, Info Risk Man  Aleks (9 Cr): Beg. Alg, Inter. Alg, Trig
ED4Credit (3 Cr): Man Info Sys   CPCU (2 Cr): Ethics
TESU (4 Cr): Corner, Capstone  Study.com (39 Cr): Pres. Skills, C Prog, Disc Math, Comp Arch, Op Sys, DB Man, Sys Analy, Calc I, Forensic Sci, Geometry, Intro Prog, Data Str
B&M (46 Cr)

I have been to a coding bootcamp and used a ton of free resources to learn to code, and I can honestly say I could have skipped most of them if i had found the Colt Steele courses on Udemy sooner. He has Javascript, Python, SQL and others. They are the best thing since sliced bread and normally on sale for like $11.

[-] The following 8 users Like Mab81's post:
  • alab21, bluebooger, gamebradie, Ideas, jsd, Muldoon, Sapientes, studiousimp
(10-21-2018, 11:06 AM)eriehiker Wrote: 68.24% final score on onlinedegree.com python intro. to programming.  Bummer.  BUMMER!

3 month wait to retake.

I am an English/social science high school teacher and I have been taking as many math and computer science courses as is possible to extend my knowledge.  It took me two tries to pass C++ programming at Straighterline and it will, apparently, take me at least two tries at onlinedegree.com for python.  I just have to say that I found the course to be difficult, informative and legitimate.  Hats off to onlinedegree.com for creating free courses that are pretty good.

Is it like SL where you can get 100% on the quizzes going into the final?

Is the final reasonably like the quizzes? I haven't opened a quiz yet.
Working on second TESU degree. Graduate in June?
First Masters complete.
TESU BSBA (with ASNSM) in March 2018.
You only get 1 try each on the quizzes. It's possible but not easy.
TESU BS NEET (in progress)      Taking a different direction for now.

B&M(22cr): Anat/Phys 1/2 +Labs, Eng Comp 1, Sust. Cities, Orientation Courses, Intro Hlth+Well, Functional Anat/Kin
TESU(4cr): Chem 1 Lab, DC circuits
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training: 85/99cr
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(3cr): Dev Eff Teams, Fdn College Alg, Fdn Stats, Ess Mng Conflict, Fdn English comp, Student Success
Study.com(22cr): Eng 105, Fin 102, His 108, Lib Sci 101, Math 104, Stat 101
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(6cr): Robotics, Cyber
CSM(3cr)
[-] The following 1 user Likes MNomadic's post:
  • Ideas
It is pretty much like that. There was no way, at least when I took the class, to know my current percentage on the quizzes.
University of Michigan, 1997, BA Ed.; Teaching Cert.: English/Social Sciences
Marygrove College, 2003, MAT
TESU, 2018, BSBA: Accounting/CIS; ASNSM: Math/Comp. Sci.; Certs: Finance, Org. Lead., Ops. Man., Marketing
University of Colorado, Colorado Springs, 2018, Grad. Cert.: Economics Ed.; 18 Grad. Credits - Economics
Harvard University Extension, 2019, Complete: Poetry in America Series; 20 Grad. Credits - English
[-] The following 1 user Likes eriehiker's post:
  • Ideas

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  OnlineDegree / NCCRS Transcript? SCYankee 8 297 07-29-2019, 01:33 PM
Last Post: SCYankee
  OnlineDegree vs SDC vs Shmoop vs Other Options? rvm 32 1,662 07-17-2019, 06:36 PM
Last Post: rvm
  Onlinedegree credit equivalency Kalopsia 5 491 06-18-2019, 10:31 PM
Last Post: Murdockb
  Study.com Python Programming - TESU ghwang808 7 349 06-12-2019, 03:09 PM
Last Post: ghwang808
  5% off TESU for onlinedegree.com users natshar 1 279 06-12-2019, 10:15 AM
Last Post: cookderosa
  Onlinedegree/TESU Transfers Verify eriehiker 4 564 05-03-2019, 09:04 PM
Last Post: TonyaBay
  Any recommendations for notes or study guides for onlinedegree courses mdel210201 5 409 04-29-2019, 04:39 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  *NEW* University Tuition Discounts Section- OnlineDegree.com onlinedegree-com 6 615 04-29-2019, 12:54 PM
Last Post: onlinedegree-com
  How long does it take to complete an onlinedegree.com course mdel210201 3 306 04-12-2019, 02:45 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  onlinedegree.com Courses natshar 31 2,686 03-04-2019, 02:35 AM
Last Post: TheMaskedMutant