Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Slayed by Python: Onlinedegree.com
(10-23-2018, 10:11 AM)davewill Wrote:
(10-22-2018, 06:33 PM)jsh1138 Wrote: I took a C programming course at TESU awhile back and you really do have to write multiple programs before it starts to make sense

i love Study.com and places like that but i am hugely skeptical that you can learn coding in a format like that, or onlinedegree.

It would prob be better to do some kind of free Udemy course or whatever to actually learn it, and then just use the course to get the credit for knowing it, vs trying to learn it from the course. Now that Study.com offers C+ and Java for credit, that's what i'm going to try to do with those, and with this course from onlinedegree when i get around to it.

I'm not sure that most butt-in-seat courses are any better. It's like learning real languages, unless you practice you don't learn to speak(write) it. The student needs to challenge themselves to do projects, have difficulties, and work their way through them. Luckily, that seems to be the how many of the MOOCs are organized.

The programming courses at our CC require lab time.  I'm guessing they agree with everyone here that actually programming is the only way to learn...programming.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Well I can't speak for everywhere, but when I did that C programming class at TESU, we turned in literally dozens of programs over the course of the term. I mean nothing crazy complicated, but they definitely made you do them.

I went through Study.com's C programming course afterwards, just to compare, and it wasn't anything near the same level of programming in terms of writing them. It would show you bits of code and ask about them, but not ask you to write much. I just don't think you could learn it that way, even to the low level that I learned it from the course I took. You basically have to just sit there for hours and write programs and run them and then debug them, over and over. It's very tedious but it just is what it is.

I'm planning to do a C+ or C++ course eventually and I hope some of my C learning carries over.
Study.com - 177 CR. TESU - 39 CR. Middle Georgia State University - 15 CR. Sonoran Desert Institute - 42 CR. COSC - 6 CR. Excelsior - 6 CR. CLEP - 6 CR. Sophia - 14 CR. TEEX - 2 CR. Shmoop - 18 CR. NFA - 4 CR. The Institutes - 2 CR. FEMA - 20ish

BA in History/English from TESU. 
BA in Communications from TESU. AS in Firearms Technology from SDI.

(10-23-2018, 03:47 PM)jsh1138 Wrote: Well I can't speak for everywhere, but when I did that C programming class at TESU, we turned in literally dozens of programs over the course of the term. I mean nothing crazy complicated, but they definitely made you do them.

I went through Study.com's C programming course afterwards, just to compare, and it wasn't anything near the same level of programming in terms of writing them. It would show you bits of code and ask about them, but not ask you to write much. I just don't think you could learn it that way, even to the low level that I learned it from the course I took. You basically have to just sit there for hours and write programs and run them and then debug them, over and over. It's very tedious but it just is what it is.

I'm planning to do a C+ or C++ course eventually and I hope some of my C learning carries over.

I also took the Study.com C course, and that only requires a single program to be written for a grade. They do provide a coding assignment at the end of each chapter as well, but those aren't graded so I suspect people won't do them. If they don't, I suspect people will find the final programming project challenging.

C++ is an extension to C, so a lot of the core will carry over. There will be some unlearning as well since the object-oriented approach requires a slightly different mentality than traditional C programming, but it should be an easy transition. Once you know C & C++, its also easy to transition over to other C++ inspired languages, like Java, Objective-C, and even C#.

The Straighterline C++ course isn't too bad. It has several programming assignments. Nothing too complicated, but enough to get your feet wet on the coding side.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
[-] The following 2 users Like Merlin's post:
  • jsh1138, studiousimp
Code:
print("Hello, World!")

okay, i'm ready for a developer job!
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
(10-23-2018, 05:52 PM)jsd Wrote:
Code:
print("Hello, World!")

okay, i'm ready for a developer job!

Hehe. Yep, that is all it takes. Wink
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
[-] The following 1 user Likes Merlin's post:
  • eriehiker
I think people focus too much on language and not enough on data structures and algorithms and actually BUILDING applications.
GRADUATE

Master of Business Administration, Robert Cavelier University (2024-2025)

MS Information and Communication Technology (UK IET Accredited) (On Hold)
Master of Theological Studies, Nations University (6 cr)

UNDERGRAD : 184 Credits

BA Computer Science, TESU  '19
BA Liberal Studies, TESU  '19
AS  Natural Science and Mathematics, TESU  '19

StraighterLine (27 Cr)   Shmoop (18 Cr)  Sophia (11 Cr)
TEEX (5 Cr) Aleks (9 Cr)  ED4Credit (3 Cr) CPCU (2 Cr)   Study.com (39 Cr)

TESU (4 cr)
TT B&M (46 Cr)  Nations University  (9 cr)  UoPeople: (3 cr) Penn Foster: (8 cr)  

I have been to a coding bootcamp and used a ton of free resources to learn to code, and I can honestly say I could have skipped most of them if i had found the Colt Steele courses on Udemy sooner. He has Javascript, Python, SQL and others. They are the best thing since sliced bread and normally on sale for like $11.

[-] The following 8 users Like Mab81's post:
  • alab21, bluebooger, gamebradie, Ideas, jsd, Muldoon, Sapientes, studiousimp
(10-21-2018, 11:06 AM)eriehiker Wrote: 68.24% final score on onlinedegree.com python intro. to programming.  Bummer.  BUMMER!

3 month wait to retake.

I am an English/social science high school teacher and I have been taking as many math and computer science courses as is possible to extend my knowledge.  It took me two tries to pass C++ programming at Straighterline and it will, apparently, take me at least two tries at onlinedegree.com for python.  I just have to say that I found the course to be difficult, informative and legitimate.  Hats off to onlinedegree.com for creating free courses that are pretty good.

Is it like SL where you can get 100% on the quizzes going into the final?

Is the final reasonably like the quizzes? I haven't opened a quiz yet.

You only get 1 try each on the quizzes. It's possible but not easy.
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
[-] The following 1 user Likes MNomadic's post:
  • Ideas
It is pretty much like that. There was no way, at least when I took the class, to know my current percentage on the quizzes.
[-] The following 1 user Likes eriehiker's post:
  • Ideas

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Degrees available with Saylor Academy and OnlineDegree cvalor 21 3,263 07-03-2023, 02:24 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Trying to speedrun some SDC classes: Eng 2, Comp. Arch, Soft. Eng, Python 101 Randyb100 16 1,785 06-25-2023, 08:28 PM
Last Post: Randyb100
  Sophia-Introduction to Python Programming Juliocrx 2 1,702 11-27-2022, 10:38 PM
Last Post: Juliocrx
  Sophia - Intro to Python/Java Programming to TESU AllThose299s 4 1,174 11-03-2022, 01:31 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
Information New Sophia courses coming: Python and Business Communication! MNomadic 27 4,565 08-19-2022, 07:36 AM
Last Post: origamishuttle
  OnlineDegree.com final exam vs quizzes jsd 7 1,466 04-26-2022, 06:54 AM
Last Post: carrythenothing
  OnlineDegree cosmetic update rachel83az 4 891 01-09-2022, 07:25 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  onlinedegree.com transcripts not showing up? studyingfortests 6 987 10-31-2021, 06:59 PM
Last Post: studyingfortests
  COS 101 Onlinedegree.com cizzie 3 928 10-19-2021, 03:18 PM
Last Post: cizzie
  onlinedegree.com course difficulty/completion times? studyingfortests 4 1,249 07-10-2021, 10:38 PM
Last Post: Vle045