Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So nervous for my interview this Monday!
Quote:Haha Geezer you're right! But here in NYC they are just so shallow. There's so much pressure to not only be intelligent, personable and very sharp..but also goodlooking too!

Poster before has a good point. If they blow me off for that, I will know as I am good at assessing how interviews go. I hope they're not shallow, but the majority of EAs that I know are cuties ha. This city is so disgustingly shallow. Sigh. No use giving myself a headache over it.

I'm assuming that New York has more businesses and more EA's than you have personally come in contact with. Therefore, it would be a monumental strategic error on your part, to assume that everyone in New York city is a) disgustingly shallow and b) would jeopardize their livelihoods by hiring incompetence over substance.

It may serve as a convenient excuse for you, but if it is wrong, then "chunky" isn't the problem the "blaming not getting the job on chunky" reasoning is. Don't sabotage yourself. Focus on what is important.

It has been my experience that most business people could care less about "chunky". They want "competence". Chunky only becomes a problem when the chunky person has an excessive amount of issues/distractions that prohibits them from doing a hard days work for a days pay.

If I was interviewing for that job, I would spend my time researching the company, the executives, history, etc....and learning as much about that business as possible before I hit the front door on Monday.
Excelsior - BS Business 2008
Son #1 TESC BSBA Computer Information Systems completed June 2010
Son #2 TESC BA Computer Science completed November 2010 Currently in Florida State (FSU) Masters CS program and loving it
As always..you are RIGHT Geezer! I guess I'm letting it get the best of me. I've seen so many "pretty" girls be hired over those who were clearly a pinch more qualified and educated and it's a little scary. I guess that's not the truth for all employers. I have been reading up on the company. It's a hedge fund here in NYC. I would be supporting two sales executives and the entire office. I don't know why I am stressing so much. I really want it. The economy is really bad and I know NYU grads who can't get a job or are working for $15-18/hr. I almost feel privileged to have been given a chance to interview..but you guys are right, I am not going to sell myself short and obviously my resume sparked their interest.

You know in the end of many interviews how they ask "Do you have any questions for us?"...wonder what I can ask other than "How long will this position be temporary for, as I am very interested in long term?"
Quote:You know in the end of many interviews how they ask "Do you have any questions for us?"...wonder what I can ask other than "How long will this position be temporary for, as I am very interested in long term?"

There's only one question you need to ask. When would you like me to start.....Monday or Tuesday? Wink
Son #2 TESC BA Computer Science completed November 2010 Currently in Florida State (FSU) Masters CS program and loving it
Geezer Wrote:There's only one question you need to ask. When would you like me to start.....Monday or Tuesday? Wink

Omg haha! I am too nervous to ask that and feel like they would take it wrong...perhaps I can say "When would you guys need me to start?". I'm afraid if I interview well and say that at the end they may see me as cocky and say, forget it. People are freakin' weird here. I hate it. I love your style though! Smile
Here's a few things I was taught to do/ or not do at my interviews... When you come in, obviously shake the interviewers hand...but not a lousy shake lol. When people are nervous, they tend to get sweaty palms so keep a tissue in your coat pocket and use it right before you go in. When you sit on the chair, make sure your knees are by the front part of the chair- don't lean all the way back or you'll end up slouching. Keep your back up straight and don't forget about eye contact and always smile...answer the questions with confidence and if they see you being nervous and ask you why you're nervous (even if they already know why the person's nervous Rolleyes) tell them it's because you're really interested in the job and you know you'll be a good worker. When I had my interview for grad school, they told me I should call back in 2 weeks so I didn't have to ask when I'll be notified if I got accepted. Don't forget to thank them for their time. Good luck!
- [SIZE="2"]STG[/SIZE]
[COLOR="Plum"][SIZE="1"]Intro to Sociology 51|Biology 54|Intro to Psychology 61
College Algebra A[/SIZE][/COLOR]
[COLOR="DarkOrange"]124 credits: B.A Social Sciences [B]DONE in 14 months; August 2011[/COLOR][/B]
"The pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. The optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty"- [COLOR="DarkOrchid"]Winston Churchill[/COLOR]
Quote:There's only one question you need to ask. When would you like me to start.....Monday or Tuesday?

Omg haha! I am too nervous to ask that and feel like they would take it wrong...perhaps I can say "When would you guys need me to start?". I'm afraid if I interview well and say that at the end they may see me as cocky and say, forget it. People are freakin' weird here. I hate it. I love your style though!

"When would you guys need me to start?" said with a smile is a great line. Many interviewees assume that the people they interview with are decisive. Sometimes they are not. Sometimes they can't make a decision if their life depended on it. The point is to prepare for every situation. You want to stand out. You want them to know that without a doubt, this is the position you want.
Geezer Wrote:"When would you guys need me to start?" said with a smile is a great line. Many interviewees assume that the people they interview with are decisive. Sometimes they are not. Sometimes they can't make a decision if their life depended on it. The point is to prepare for every situation. You want to stand out. You want them to know that without a doubt, this is the position you want.

Lol! Ok I am going to try this. I'm just afraid they will look at me funny and say "Well we are still interviewing and have to double check with the boss, so we will definitely get back to you". I guess I will say it with a grin and thank them for their time. I hope it's not too awkward lol.
OK...How did the interview go???
alleycat Wrote:Wear black. That can hide a multitude of sins. Make sure your clothes fit well no matter what size you are.
Lol..I sure did! It helped. They focused on my face instead of my chunk Wink
Geezer Wrote:OK...How did the interview go???

The lady said she thought I was great and that she really liked me...about 5 times Smile She told my agency I was a gogetter and had a great personality. I now need to wait for a call back to set up a 2nd/final interview with the sales execs and while she told my agency she likes me, she wants to have some other candidates to hand off to her execs as well..so there is competition.

On an even BRIGHTER note..I just went to an interview today. Had to switch shifts with a girl I work with. Not sure if I can do that again. Went to another awesome agency and they have TONS of jobs. The recruiter practically begged me to lie to my current agency to get the day off so she can send me to two interviews she has with her clients. The minimum the jobs pay are 45k and she wants to submit me for higher paying/end ones as well.

Now here's the hard part...telling my current agency I need Friday off to go interview with another agency's clients. lol Ugh Sad But I can't pass this up. I feel like jobs and interviews are FINALLY popping up after a rough 2.5 years and I want on it SO bad.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Happy Monday, October 12 - Columbus Day 2020 in United States! bjcheung77 4 1,015 10-30-2020, 05:08 AM
Last Post: Seagull
  Job Interview, Resume and Cover Letter Tips natshar 3 1,095 08-01-2019, 08:30 AM
Last Post: natshar
Question Nervous about transferring , any advice 2L8 2 2,321 10-01-2018, 12:10 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Weird interview questions Sparklette 10 2,455 03-23-2018, 01:45 PM
Last Post: Sparklette
  Earned a $120 Amazon Gift Card by Completing an Interview sanantone 3 1,723 05-18-2017, 11:27 PM
Last Post: varJosh
  Job Interview Story Inteljustice2 4 1,387 08-29-2016, 03:38 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Interview Tips Prloko 0 1,028 06-25-2015, 09:48 AM
Last Post: Prloko
  Interview ideas.... rebel100 32 3,808 08-01-2014, 04:57 PM
Last Post: SDO
  The Phone Interview Prloko 27 3,137 06-08-2014, 06:23 PM
Last Post: scorched
  My degree helped!! I have a job interview. Lindagerr 26 2,837 09-02-2013, 04:06 PM
Last Post: Lindagerr