Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sophia Learning - New membership levels and pricing
(03-15-2022, 02:04 PM)carrythenothing Wrote: Received an email a few minutes ago noting these changes/options, effective March 30
  • $99/month
  • $299 for 4 months (25% off)
  • 12 months for $599 (50% off)

Quote:As a valued Sophia member, you have the option to lock in your current membership rate of $79 a month until you cancel. Students who rejoin after cancelling membership will be subject to new membership rates.

There’s no action needed from you. Simply continue your monthly membership and save.

Want to upgrade to the 4 or 12-month membership? You can sign up in your account settings beginning March 30. Please note that if you upgrade to a 4-month or 12-month membership you won’t be able to return to the $79 monthly rate.

Just saw the email. Boy did I sign up for that just in time! lol
Jwheels27 Wrote:Just saw the email. Boy did I sign up for that just in time! lol

Which one did you sign up for? You still have some time to decide which one is better for you... It depends on what courses you need and how many months it may take you to complete them. I think the best bundle is the 4 month one for most members, for those just starting the process, they should decide which option is best.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(03-16-2022, 02:52 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote:
Jwheels27 Wrote:Just saw the email. Boy did I sign up for that just in time! lol

Which one did you sign up for?  You still have some time to decide which one is better for you... It depends on what courses you need and how many months it may take you to complete them.  I think the best bundle is the 4 month one for most members, for those just starting the process, they should decide which option is best.
I meant I had already signed up for Sophia prior to the rate change, so I’m grandfathered in at the $79 monthly charge. $99 a month or $299 for four is still a steal for all the credits you can bust out at Sophia! 

After many years of procrastination, I’m FINALLY pursuing my degree BJ!! ?
[-] The following 2 users Like Jwheels27's post:
  • , rachel83az
$299 for 4 months or $599 for 12 months works out to be cheaper per-month than $79/mo. If you want/need some of the courses that can take longer to grade (like English Comp), doing the $299 plan may be a wise investment choice.

Of course, if you're just doing the basic Pierpont/UMPI plan, you probably only need 1-2 months to get everything necessary.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
Strategic Education has $1.1 billion in revenue. Sophia's revenue represents less than 2% of that at best.

You can make a lot more money selling RA college courses for $1000 than selling ACE courses for $25 each. Basic math.

Sophia is used as a feeder for Capella/Strayer.

Sophia has introduced lots of new courses in the past couple of years. SDC introduced basically none. SL hasn't done much either. Odds are Sophia won't shut down, but I'm just saying they could if they wanted to.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
Yes, I agree that Sophia is often a feeder for Capella & Strayer. Especially when it is part of a work perk. With Avon, along with Sophia, they advertise that we can get a degree from Capella or Strayer with “Minimal Out of pocket costs”. My best guess is that they are bundling the idea with financial aid. I am not sure. But even with 50% off of tuition which is what I think they give us, it is still more expensive than a ton of other schools. If it was truly “minimal”, maybe I would consider them.
MBA, starting July 2022
BA, Sociology 
Certificate, Paralegal Studies
Certificate, Diversity, Equity and Inclusion in the Workplace
Certificate, Global Entrepreneurship & Innovation Virtual Bootcamp
Sophia: 17 credits

LawShelf affiliate (NCCRS credits)
Buy one, get one free with my affiliate code: VK375
https://lawshelf.com/videocoursesview
Jwheels27 Wrote:I meant I had already signed up for Sophia prior to the rate change, so I’m grandfathered in at the $79 monthly charge. $99 a month or $299 for four is still a steal for all the credits you can bust out at Sophia! 

After many years of procrastination, I’m FINALLY pursuing my degree BJ!! ?

Awesome, it is a very good start. Make sure to multi-task with a second monitor and take classes that apply to your degree (skip ones that don't). Do you have a spreadsheet to follow as an action plan? You can use the spreadsheet for reference and tracking purposes.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(03-16-2022, 11:30 AM)LevelUP Wrote: Strategic Education has $1.1 billion in revenue. Sophia's revenue represents less than 2% of that at best.

You can make a lot more money selling RA college courses for $1000 than selling ACE courses for $25 each. Basic math.

Sophia has introduced lots of new courses in the past couple of years. SDC introduced basically none. SL hasn't done much either. Odds are Sophia won't shut down, but I'm just saying they could if they wanted to.

The point of your two "Sophia might shut down" posts is unclear.

Is it to warn potential annual membership students that part of their $599 might not get refunded?

If so, then the part about SEI being a $1.1B business should put our long-term customers' minds at ease. Thank you.

P.S. There are no plans for Sophia to shut down. Quite the opposite.
[-] The following 3 users Like sophia UX's post:
  • jsd, k-k-k-katy, MNomadic
(03-16-2022, 02:13 PM)sophia UX Wrote:
(03-16-2022, 11:30 AM)LevelUP Wrote: Strategic Education has $1.1 billion in revenue. Sophia's revenue represents less than 2% of that at best.

Is it to warn potential annual membership students that part of their $599 might not get refunded?

If so, then the part about SEI being a $1.1B business should put our long-term customers' minds at ease. Thank you.

Where on the web site you can read that I was going to renew my membership and I still the the same price 79 dollars I recently cancel my subscription and I did not receive any email from them.

In progress:
TESU - ASNSM ASBA, UNIR- Master Cyber Security
Completed:
TESU - BA Computer Science
(03-16-2022, 02:13 PM)sophia UX Wrote:

Another possibility is another company could buy out Strategic Education.

I never said Strategic Education would not fulfill its contractual obligations or the entire holding company would go out of business.

My point in making the post was to inform people that Sophia is NOT a stand-alone solo company, as with Straighterline or Study.com, which is true.

Look at Capella CBE Flexpath. (Part of Strategic Education which owns Sophia)  

One of our students on DF tried to do that program and was unsuccessful at getting into the CBE Flexpath program. Flexpath cannibalizes regular tuition rates, so it makes sense that there are these extra hoops to go through.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Recent Sophia.org Membership Code bjcheung77 101 52,465 03-27-2024, 06:22 PM
Last Post: awildstudentappeared
  New Sophia Courses: Health, Fitness, and Wellness and Anatomy & Physiology II Lab LevelUP 7 385 03-23-2024, 03:16 AM
Last Post: Kab
  Non-course equivalency at TESU for Sophia Principles of Finance? Yenisei 7 278 03-18-2024, 11:51 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Is there a list of which Sophia courses have touchstones? MaMichelle 7 6,801 03-16-2024, 06:45 PM
  How to get ACE credits such as Sophia on official college transcript Student3452 18 4,874 03-08-2024, 01:34 AM
Last Post: Gumbeaux
Information New Sophia Courses: College Math and Chemistry MNomadic 67 10,402 03-07-2024, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Westslope Cutthroat
  Sophia | US Government bradonomics 3 607 03-01-2024, 09:13 PM
  Sophia - Managerial Accounting and Lifespan chentastic 36 3,974 02-28-2024, 09:41 AM
Last Post: vaticidalprophet
  Sophia English Comp II vs CLEP College Composition davemodular 9 563 02-17-2024, 01:56 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
Thumbs Up Sophia Review: Finished 6 Courses in 1 Week Ares 11 1,812 02-11-2024, 04:54 PM
Last Post: Ares