Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sophia.org English Composition II -- Grader Experiences
(10-20-2020, 02:48 PM)rachel83az Wrote: 5-sentence paragraphs is something from elementary school. I vaguely remember learning that paragraphs "should" have 5 sentences.

When I was in elementary school and high school, the rule was 2 sentences constitutes a paragraph. The grader said ALL paragraphs must be 5 sentences long. Not longer or shorter. It was weird.
(10-20-2020, 03:04 PM)ss20ts Wrote: When I was in elementary school and high school, the rule was 2 sentences constitutes a paragraph. The grader said ALL paragraphs must be 5 sentences long. Not longer or shorter. It was weird.

I agree; exactly 5 sentences is weird. You wind up with strange and stilted writing if you write like that. Maybe each paragraph is supposed to be a limerick!

There once was a grader so stuffy
That composing paragraphs was a toughy
We wrote day and night
But 'twas never quite right
When the grades came back, we were all huffy
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 3 users Like rachel83az's post:
  • crotique, cwendy111, Dorothy44
(10-20-2020, 03:22 PM)rachel83az Wrote:
(10-20-2020, 03:04 PM)ss20ts Wrote: When I was in elementary school and high school, the rule was 2 sentences constitutes a paragraph. The grader said ALL paragraphs must be 5 sentences long. Not longer or shorter. It was weird.

I agree; exactly 5 sentences is weird. You wind up with strange and stilted writing if you write like that. Maybe each paragraph is supposed to be a limerick!

We wrote day and night

A limerick? LOL That's one way to improve arguments about school uniforms.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ss20ts's post:
  • rachel83az
(10-20-2020, 03:22 PM)rachel83az Wrote:

We wrote day and night

now to remember to cite you properly as the source when I use this in that class.   Big Grin
TESU: BALS June 2021 (comm college, clep, sdc sophia coopersmith, SOS110, and capstone)

[-] The following 3 users Like P226mem's post:
  • crotique, rachel83az, ss20ts
I didn't even bother spending time on the final argumentative essay. I just threw it together, and I think it is crap. but, I'm going to treat the class like crap, since that's how they treat me. Sophia is freaken terrible for English.

I now should've founda way to quote that limerick! LOL
[-] The following 2 users Like ashkir's post:
  • crotique, rachel83az
I understand your frustration, but you have a 71% and you have spent a lot of time on the first number of assignments. It makes sense to at least try your best on the last one because it's likely you'll get a 70% and be done with English 2.
(10-08-2020, 09:55 AM)ashkir Wrote: So. I spent over a week working on my next essay. Before I sent it in, I sent it to someone who has a Masters in English and they teach it themselves before I got graded. It came back as a D-. I made all the corrections my friend who has a Masters whom teaches English Compostion at the college level.

Once again, her feedback was "Cite every line". She knocked off TWENTY POINTS for failure to do that. MAking it a D-. If I get one more D from her I'll fail the entire course.

I talked to Sophia, and they completely defended her actions.

wow that's harsh

(09-30-2020, 04:51 PM)rpmranger Wrote: I had one bad grader in Comp I. She was just flat out wrong on her comment and trashed my score for something that wasn't even in my paper. This is not my opinion, she was factually wrong. If this wasn't scored pass fail, I would never have let that go unchecked. In Comp II, I had a great experience. My grader throughout was hard but encouraging. He pushed me to write better. I would gladly take his feedback for any future writing projects. He was extremely helpful.

I do think they should give you the same grader throughout for consistency. Comp II was only one grader for me, which was much more helpful.

I actually did get the same grader twice one time. she was actually pretty reasonable with her criticisms. the other 2 weren't as...fair. one of the graders literally switched up my essay with another lady's and  i had to get that fixed. 
 i also agree with you on that they should give you the same grader! that just makes sense
(10-20-2020, 06:15 PM)ashkir Wrote: I didn't even bother spending time on the final argumentative essay. I just threw it together, and I think it is crap. but, I'm going to treat the class like crap, since that's how they treat me. Sophia is freaken terrible for English.

I now should've founda  way to quote that limerick! LOL

I think it's okay for English Comp I. But I'm really dreading doing/finishing English Comp II now.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
(10-21-2020, 10:33 AM)rachel83az Wrote:
(10-20-2020, 06:15 PM)ashkir Wrote: I didn't even bother spending time on the final argumentative essay. I just threw it together, and I think it is crap. but, I'm going to treat the class like crap, since that's how they treat me. Sophia is freaken terrible for English.

I now should've founda  way to quote that limerick! LOL

I think it's okay for English Comp I. But I'm really dreading doing/finishing English Comp II now.

Maybe you'll have better luck. I started right at the end when it was free. I have already added a 30 day extension. I have like a week and a half left to get the last 2 Touchstones submitted and graded. I need to write it! That's my plan for the next few days. Get that sucker done so I'm done with this class forever!
[-] The following 1 user Likes ss20ts's post:
  • rachel83az
Comp I was a cakewalk.

Comp II is a nightmare. lol.

I just submitted a quickly written essay. Going to wait for grader feedback, then rewrite it for a low grade. Afterwards I am going to edit it based upon their feedback, resubmit, and put the original in there so the new grader knows it was an edit.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ashkir's post:
  • rachel83az

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Recent Sophia.org Membership Code bjcheung77 101 52,522 03-27-2024, 06:22 PM
Last Post: awildstudentappeared
  New Sophia Courses: Health, Fitness, and Wellness and Anatomy & Physiology II Lab LevelUP 7 390 03-23-2024, 03:16 AM
Last Post: Kab
  Non-course equivalency at TESU for Sophia Principles of Finance? Yenisei 7 282 03-18-2024, 11:51 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Is there a list of which Sophia courses have touchstones? MaMichelle 7 6,807 03-16-2024, 06:45 PM
  How to get ACE credits such as Sophia on official college transcript Student3452 18 4,882 03-08-2024, 01:34 AM
Last Post: Gumbeaux
Information New Sophia Courses: College Math and Chemistry MNomadic 67 10,410 03-07-2024, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Westslope Cutthroat
  Sophia | US Government bradonomics 3 609 03-01-2024, 09:13 PM
  Sophia - Managerial Accounting and Lifespan chentastic 36 3,977 02-28-2024, 09:41 AM
Last Post: vaticidalprophet
  Sophia English Comp II vs CLEP College Composition davemodular 9 563 02-17-2024, 01:56 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
Thumbs Up Sophia Review: Finished 6 Courses in 1 Week Ares 11 1,813 02-11-2024, 04:54 PM
Last Post: Ares