Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sophia.org English Composition II -- Grader Experiences
I got my final touchstone back. 141/150.

Thank. God.

I did rush it a bit. bUt the new grader followed the rubric. I also included my old essay and highlighted the changes that the old grader TOLD me to change sot he new grader can see it.
Dr. Ashkir DHA, MBA, MAOL, PMP, GARA
[-] The following 3 users Like ashkir's post:
  • Pikachu, rachel83az, ss20ts
(10-30-2020, 02:38 PM)ashkir Wrote: I got my final touchstone back. 141/150.

Thank. God.

I did rush it a bit. bUt the new grader followed the rubric. I also included my old essay and highlighted the changes that the old grader TOLD me to change sot he new grader can see it.

Does this mean you passed? Oh I hope you did! 

How did you highlight the changes you made to show them? I'm working on my rough draft right now. I have 14 days left and I've already accepted the 30 day and 15 day extension. So it's now or never.
(10-30-2020, 02:44 PM)ss20ts Wrote:
(10-30-2020, 02:38 PM)ashkir Wrote: I got my final touchstone back. 141/150.

Thank. God.

Does this mean you passed? Oh I hope you did! 

How did you highlight the changes you made to show them? I'm working on my rough draft right now. I have 14 days left and I've already accepted the 30 day and 15 day extension. So it's now or never.

Yes! I passed! I only needed 111 points to pass. 

I attached the draft to the touchstone, along with previous feedback from the previous graders after the essay. So it was formatted like this:
  • Essay to Be Graded
  • References from Essay, make sure you include the changes they asked for. Put on separate page.
  • Reflection. Put on separate page. Bold the titles, I had a professor dock me points for not bolding. 
  • Previous Essay WITH the full references and FEEDBACK from original grader (including the comments)
  • Attached my outline / bibliography after these with the FEEDBACK from original graders (including the comments)

MAke sure you use Times NEw Roman and 12pt font. They are panicky. They are super strict about perfect indentation and a space after paragraphs for me. 

I resubmitted 1 essay from earlier too (the rogerian) and I attached the original essay with the changes the grader asked for. The new grader told me my original was better LOL and gave me the score based on that. 

Krystal Kvinge and Cameron (something) were terrible graders. ABSOLUTELY TERRIBLE.

James Elrod offered REAL feedback, and offered real suggestions, and grave great criticism. All of his comments made sense, weren't biased, and actually made some amazing suggestions. I think he took the time to review the sources too, like he suggested different paragraph references, etc, to drive my point better.
[-] The following 4 users Like ashkir's post:
  • BitWiseGuy, P226mem, Pikachu, ss20ts
I'm soooooo glad you past! You can put this nightmare all behind you. Thanks for the pointers. I just want to be done with this thing. I've procrastinated so much because of the crummy grading.
(10-30-2020, 03:07 PM)ss20ts Wrote: I'm soooooo glad you past! You can put this nightmare all behind you. Thanks for the pointers. I just want to be done with this thing. I've procrastinated so much because of the crummy grading.

The feedback portion of English Comp II could be improved if one could have actual messaging with the grader.   I was beginning to diagnose her because one set of instructions said to do this, then she penalized me for doing exactly what she told me to do.    In an academic setting this should not be tolerated.

Congrats on putting this one behind you, Ashkir.
[-] The following 2 users Like Skoolie's post:
  • Pikachu, rachel83az
(10-30-2020, 03:40 PM)Skoolie Wrote:
(10-30-2020, 03:07 PM)ss20ts Wrote: I'm soooooo glad you past! You can put this nightmare all behind you. Thanks for the pointers. I just want to be done with this thing. I've procrastinated so much because of the crummy grading.

The feedback portion of English Comp II could be improved if one could have actual messaging with the grader.   I was beginning to diagnose her because one set of instructions said to do this, then she penalized me for doing exactly what she told me to do.    In an academic setting this should not be tolerated.

It shouldn't be tolerated if you could communciate with your grader it'd be easier. 

I pretty much just started attaching the original with the feedback the previous grader told me to do to the new submissions, (You can have Sophia reset a touchstone for you) and that seemed to work very well by showing the previous grader >told< me to do this. I also included it in my reflection that the previous grader suggested the changes I made.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ashkir's post:
  • Pikachu
(10-30-2020, 03:40 PM)Skoolie Wrote:

Agree 100%! I was penalized for things and made changes to them for the next Touchstone only to be penalized again for not doing them the way I did before. What? That makes no sense! They're very inconsistent. I had the same grader for all of the Touchstones in Units 1 & 2. I was thinking she needed some meds because she flip flopped so often. It just didn't make any sense. She would say I left something out and it was right there in the middle of the page. I do wish there was a way to contact the grader to get better feedback. I end up with so many questions and never know what changes to actually make. IT's a very frustrating process.
(10-30-2020, 02:50 PM)ashkir Wrote: Yes! I passed! I only needed 111 points to pass. 

I attached the draft to the touchstone, along with previous feedback from the previous graders after the essay. So it was formatted like this:
  • Essay to Be Graded
  • References from Essay, make sure you include the changes they asked for. Put on separate page.
  • Reflection. Put on separate page. Bold the titles, I had a professor dock me points for not bolding. 
  • Previous Essay WITH the full references and FEEDBACK from original grader (including the comments)
  • Attached my outline / bibliography after these with the FEEDBACK from original graders (including the comments)

MAke sure you use Times NEw Roman and 12pt font. They are panicky. They are super strict about perfect indentation and a space after paragraphs for me. 

I resubmitted 1 essay from earlier too (the rogerian) and I attached the original essay with the changes the grader asked for. The new grader told me my original was better LOL and gave me the score based on that. 

Krystal Kvinge and Cameron (something) were terrible graders. ABSOLUTELY TERRIBLE.

James Elrod offered REAL feedback, and offered real suggestions, and grave great criticism. All of his comments made sense, weren't biased, and actually made some amazing suggestions. I think he took the time to review the sources too, like he suggested different paragraph references, etc, to drive my point better.

James was great, I had him for the entire course. He actually knows what he is talking about.
Agreed. James is amazing. I wish I had him the entire time. I defiantly made mistakes in my draft because I was writing it the way Krystal wants it with her fake ass rules.

But James gave amazing feedback and actually took the time to know my sources etc. James acted like a real professor. I loved his feedback.
The biggest problem with the Sophia setup is there is no possible way to interact with the grader. You can't ask questions, you can't get clarification, you can't dispute errors or made up false rules, you can't do anything but submit and -hope- you get someone competent on the other end.

They really need to address this issue for certain courses if they want their platform to be worthwhile.
[-] The following 2 users Like rpmranger's post:
  • Pikachu, ss20ts

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Speed of Completion of Sophia.org Courses colonelcamp 5 218 04-26-2024, 06:23 PM
Last Post: colonelcamp
  Recent Sophia.org Membership Code bjcheung77 119 63,716 04-25-2024, 02:58 PM
Last Post: gamebradie
  Is it possible to submit a blank page to Sophia histourism 12 517 04-24-2024, 08:05 AM
Last Post: colonelcamp
  Sophia | US Government bradonomics 6 954 04-23-2024, 03:22 PM
Last Post: hsufeng
  Sophia Human Biology lab tdat314 1 155 04-22-2024, 06:31 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Can sophia credit transfer to two different schools? GoBroncos95 11 580 04-18-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: GoBroncos95
  Is there a list of which Sophia courses have touchstones? MaMichelle 9 7,523 04-17-2024, 06:22 AM
Last Post: mdn
  Does Sophia track what sites you've visited? Chickenfat2024 10 821 04-13-2024, 05:17 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Sophia English Comp II vs CLEP College Composition davemodular 15 1,033 04-09-2024, 01:33 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Sophia.org while attending UMPI your pace - history major Atwygon 4 279 04-08-2024, 05:06 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77