Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sophia.org English Composition II -- Grader Experiences
You could always post a copy of your paper with feedback if you wanted. I'm sure there are enough people here willing to look it over and provide feedback or let you know if the critique is valid or not. It's hard to say without actually seeing the original paper and comments.

My grader provided valid criticism throughout Comp II. It improved my writing, and it forced me to work to earn an A in the course.  Your feedback sounds bogus, but I would like to see the full context if you are willing to share it.

If someone is seriously telling you to cite every line or confine paragraphs to five sentences, something isn't right. I never got a single comment about those types of things.
May I suggest reaching out to someone via the chat option? I too had an absolute nightmare with this class and different graders. The emails I sent weren't getting anywhere. When I finally started a chat they looked at my file and said my complaint was justified and they were supposed to award me back 11 point, but never had. So...that might be the case this time as well? Also, for my final touchstone...I went down the list and fixed it all one thing at a time...and got it back saying I hadn't done ANYTHING...but they still kept my grade where it was and I passed...so...? Not sure how to take that.
(10-21-2020, 05:14 PM)Chirp Wrote: May I suggest reaching out to someone via the chat option? I too had an absolute nightmare with this class and different graders. The emails I sent weren't getting anywhere.  When I finally started a chat they looked at my file and said my complaint was justified and they were supposed to award me back 11 point, but never had. So...that might be the case this time as well? Also, for my final touchstone...I went down the list and fixed it all one thing at a time...and got it back saying I hadn't done ANYTHING...but they still kept my grade where it was and I passed...so...? Not sure how to take that.

What? You fixed everything and they said you didn't make any changes? That makes no sense. They are so messed up with this course.
For the paper I rushed, I actually got an amazing grader. He gave me pretty awesome feedback. It was constructive, gave valid information, and he actually offered real suggestions instead of just telling me weird made up rules!

:O
Dr. Ashkir DHA, MBA, MAOL, PMP, GARA
This is awesome! Did you get a passing grade, then?
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
(10-22-2020, 01:35 PM)rachel83az Wrote: This is awesome! Did you get a passing grade, then?

New professor yep, his feedback actually made sense and he offered real suggestions instead of saying "cite everything". He gave suggestions in phrasing, source suggestions, etc.
Dr. Ashkir DHA, MBA, MAOL, PMP, GARA
Great! Congratulations! I'm sure you're glad you get to put the whole experience behind you.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
So glad this paper went much better for you! That Courtney person I had for all of my papers so far except 3.1 was brutal. She contradicted her/himself sooooo often. I now wish I had just taken this as a course at UMPI. I am pretty sure it would have been MUCH smoother. Live and learn!
[-] The following 1 user Likes ss20ts's post:
  • Pikachu
(10-22-2020, 03:06 PM)ss20ts Wrote: So glad this paper went much better for you! That Courtney person I had for all of my papers so far except 3.1 was brutal. She contradicted her/himself sooooo often. I now wish I had just taken this as a course at UMPI. I am pretty sure it would have been MUCH smoother. Live and learn!

The problem doesn't seem so much Sophia's English Composition II as much as this particular grader, CW.    I took the class to see what all the fuss was about & much to my chagrin, CW gave me a 0/10 on the touchstone outlining the thesis because according to her I had no thesis.  (Everything else on the rubric was perfect, though.)  Her feedback was that a thesis should state an argument and then show exactly three ways I intended to prove it.  I kept losing points to APA guidelines, and followed the purdue writing owl lab to a T.  I even got the feedback that a paragraph must be at least 5 sentences.   By the final touchstone, I was exhausted and honestly didn't care.   I had the tutor service proof it and they said it was fine.

She was my grader throughout even after I complained about the zero, and managed to eek out an A.  (I suppose for effort.)
(10-23-2020, 08:43 PM)Skoolie Wrote:
(10-22-2020, 03:06 PM)ss20ts Wrote: So glad this paper went much better for you! That Courtney person I had for all of my papers so far except 3.1 was brutal. She contradicted her/himself sooooo often. I now wish I had just taken this as a course at UMPI. I am pretty sure it would have been MUCH smoother. Live and learn!

The problem doesn't seem so much Sophia's English Composition II as much as this particular grader, CW.    I took the class to see what all the fuss was about & much to my chagrin, CW gave me a 0/10 on the touchstone outlining the thesis because according to her I had no thesis.  (Everything else on the rubric was perfect, though.)  Her feedback was that a thesis should state an argument and then show exactly three ways I intended to prove it.  I kept losing points to APA guidelines, and followed the purdue writing owl lab to a T.  I even got the feedback that a paragraph must be at least 5 sentences.   By the final touchstone, I was exhausted and honestly didn't care.   I had the tutor service proof it and they said it was fine.

She was my grader throughout even after I complained about the zero, and managed to eek out an A.  (I suppose for effort.)

CW is who graded most of my papers. Absolutely miserable person. Contradicted themselves over and over. Made up goofy rules that don't exist anywhere and are not on the Purdue OWL sites they share. That person doesn't know APA references well at all.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  English Comp II on Sophia vs at UMPI colonelcamp 11 402 8 hours ago
Last Post: ss20ts
  New Sophia course: Criminology Kab 6 307 07-25-2024, 09:33 AM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Managerial Accounting Sophia faptaincrunch 3 743 07-24-2024, 09:54 PM
Last Post: Kioslap
  Sophia Course Retirement Alert AllThose299s 8 1,252 07-14-2024, 09:20 PM
Last Post: OtterDen
  Recent Sophia.org Membership Code bjcheung77 147 83,074 07-13-2024, 07:33 PM
Last Post: Quatchi
  Spanish I on Sophia DavidGood 10 492 07-11-2024, 04:37 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  TESU doesn't accept SOPHIA? burbuja0512 11 775 07-07-2024, 03:46 PM
Last Post: burbuja0512
  Sophia | US Government bradonomics 9 1,955 07-03-2024, 08:13 AM
Last Post: DavidGood
Question Have any of y'all gotten Sophia credit at a Tennessee State school? tennessee123 1 222 06-26-2024, 11:30 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Can't take Student Success at Sophia? Pikachu 2 333 06-12-2024, 12:17 PM
Last Post: RJ77